| FTBL Nick Saban press conference - Southern Miss preview

-- Saban did say Brian Robinson is “day-to-day” with his rib injury suffered in the game.

-- Saban said Will Anderson showed a “warrior mentality” playing in Saturday’s game. He said pro players think they will play no matter what and they don’t want someone to take their job. College players do not always have that mentality, but they have a chance to show they’re a warrior. “That creates tremendous value to me to any player who can do that,” Saban said. “I see him being one of the guys on our team who plays to the standard we need to play to.”

-- Saban said Jahleel Billingsley is “doing what he’s supposed to do.”

-- Saban said they would like to see Agiye Hall become a part of the offense because he has a lot of talent and ability, but there needs to be more consistency in performance on and off the field. “We try to get our guys to understand that that dependability is really important in their life for them to be successful, as well as in school to be successful, as well as in football to be successful.” Saban added Hall has been getting “better and better” and “hopefully he’ll be contributing sometime soon.”

-- Saban said the “Alabama standard” means what we’ve seen the past 15 years from the program. “They don’t win the game, they beat the other team,” he said. “There’s a difference in those two things.” Other qualities he mentioned are being more physical, tougher, maintaining intensity for 60 minutes and playing with greater discipline and intangibles than their opponents. “That mentality creates a respect that helps you be successful in your league, in the team that you play, year-in and year-out.”

Some encouraging things in there

Expect Billingsley to become more of a focus on the offense

Agiye Hall's opportunity is coming. Contrary to what others have suggested on other boards, it wasn't on field items holding him back - more like school related stuff. Adding Hall to the WR mix changes things big time

Judging by his Instagram account he has a kid and a wife/girlfriend in Tuscaloosa with him. I know that takes time and effort, but hopefully he can understand an education along with football is what is best for his family. Straight and narrow is what's best for him at the moment.

Judging by his Instagram account he has a kid and a wife/girlfriend in Tuscaloosa with him. I know that takes time and effort, but hopefully he can understand an education along with football is what is best for his family. Straight and narrow is what's best for him at the moment.

That would make for a very full day to day routine for an 18 year old freshman football player at Alabama.

The discipline required by Coach Saban is not something that all players arrive to campus having. For many, it is a learning experience and takes time. I would wager to guess that's the case here - Hall has made some choices that don't live up to Saban's expectations, and he's learning what is required and non-negotiable from CNS if he wants to see the field (regardless of how talented he is on the football field).

That would make for a very full day to day routine for an 18 year old freshman football player at Alabama.

The discipline required by Coach Saban is not something that all players arrive to campus having. For many, it is a learning experience and takes time. I would wager to guess that's the case here - Hall has made some choices that don't live up to Saban's expectations, and he's learning what is required and non-negotiable from CNS if he wants to see the field (regardless of how talented he is on the football field).

Boy, if he buys in, he's gonna see his world turn upside down in a great way. Just look at the publicity he received after his A-Day performance.

Nick is telling us a story..........make note

For the second time this season, fans will file into Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday night to watch Alabama football meet a non-Power 5 opponent.

But two days before a game against Southern Miss that lacks the juice of the Tide’s four upcoming SEC games this season in Tuscaloosa, coach Nick Saban made a stronger-than-usual plea to fans.

“I don’t want to be negative -- I’m not trying to be negative with anybody, aight -- but we cannot take for granted, aight, that we’re always just going to have a good team,” he said during the final minutes of his weekly radio show Thursday night.

“Ohio State’s coach [Ryan Day] said it this week about this team. Just because you put an Ohio State uniform doesn’t mean you’re going to go beat the other team. There’s certain things that you have to do, aight, as a competitor and as a player, to be a good player and be able to dominate the competition, and we have tremendous competition in our league.

“But there’s also a spirit and a passion that people who support the program and people who come to the games provide a spirit and a passion that affects the players.”

Nick is telling us a story..........make note

For the second time this season, fans will file into Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday night to watch Alabama football meet a non-Power 5 opponent.

But two days before a game against Southern Miss that lacks the juice of the Tide’s four upcoming SEC games this season in Tuscaloosa, coach Nick Saban made a stronger-than-usual plea to fans.

“I don’t want to be negative -- I’m not trying to be negative with anybody, aight -- but we cannot take for granted, aight, that we’re always just going to have a good team,” he said during the final minutes of his weekly radio show Thursday night.

“Ohio State’s coach [Ryan Day] said it this week about this team. Just because you put an Ohio State uniform doesn’t mean you’re going to go beat the other team. There’s certain things that you have to do, aight, as a competitor and as a player, to be a good player and be able to dominate the competition, and we have tremendous competition in our league.

“But there’s also a spirit and a passion that people who support the program and people who come to the games provide a spirit and a passion that affects the players.”
Did you (and Mando) hear the show last night or are you referring to this “quote “ by AL.com?
The reason I’m asking is, I had to travel about 2 hours today to see a customer & I listened to the entire show.
I took it as more of a shot at the “blue blood, golf clap fans at Bryant Denny” . It seems that he wants more of an atmosphere like last weekend at the swamp.
Just my opinion…..

Did you (and Mando) hear the show last night or are you referring to this “quote “ by AL.com?
The reason I’m asking is, I had to travel about 2 hours today to see a customer & I listened to the entire show.
I took it as more of a shot at the “blue blood, golf clap fans at Bryant Denny” . It seems that he wants more of an atmosphere like last weekend at the swamp.
Just my opinion…..
I did hear the show last night. He was pleading for more passion from fans. Also heard him make the Ryan Day quote basically about not assuming you are going to win because you put the OSU jersey on same with Bama.

In other words he is telling the players, coaches and fans to stop taking for granted we are going to win.

I did hear the show last night. He was pleading for more passion from fans. Also heard him make the Ryan Day quote basically about not assuming you are going to win because you put the OSU jersey on same with Bama.

words he is telling the players, coaches and fans to stop taking for granted we are going to win.

In other words he is telling the players, coaches and fans to stop taking for granted we are going to win.
I completely agree with this. Reflects what Coach harped on last week about “ respecting winning”. He is constantly fighting complacency, even among the fan base.

I completely agree with this. Reflects what Coach harped on last week about “ respecting winning”. He is constantly fighting complacency, even among the fan base.
As much as he preaches about ignoring outside voices it seems like that's what he's talking about here: word on the street, so to speak.

How many teams in college football could have gone into the swamp last weekend and won? Now, with that small number of schools in mind how many fan bases of said schools would be complaining, this loudly, about a win?

As much as he preaches about ignoring outside voices it seems like that's what he's talking about here: word on the street, so to speak.

How many teams in college football could have gone into the swamp last weekend and won? Now, with that small number of schools in mind how many fan bases of said schools would be complaining, this loudly, about a win?
No doubt!!!! It is inevitable a dip was going to happen from last year especially on offense. Not excuses but to have the roster and coaching turnover inevitably is going to have an impact. We are just so used to seeing the GOAT just plug and play and it just keeps on. I actually think he will do that again with this team but there could be a hiccup with these early challenges. I am not buying it will be OM but could be surprised. First things first lets deal with Southern Miss today and show some improvement in some of these areas that have been problematic.

Back
Top Bottom