| FTBL Alabama Offensive Linemen in the NFL

Mark Schlereth has been on record to say, besides QB, OL is the toughest position, primarily due to the number 5+ year veteran's who occupy the position. It can be really hard to beat out those guys because of their masterful technique. About the only thing that beats out a fundamentally sound veteran OL player is an injury & they've come a long way with injury prevention with those positions.

How much does coaching play a part in the development of the OL? I would think it plays a significant part, probably more than any other position. In the NFL it's not just about power or speed. It's about technique. You have to get your footwork down. You have to know how to use your hands. You have to be able to communicate. I think that comes down to coaching. Film study, work ethic, practice; those are on the players.

How much does coaching play a part in the development of the OL? I would think it plays a significant part, probably more than any other position. In the NFL it's not just about power or speed. It's about technique. You have to get your footwork down. You have to know how to use your hands. You have to be able to communicate. I think that comes down to coaching. Film study, work ethic, practice; those are on the players.

Plays a big part, but it's also difficult to evaluate from even the HS level now too, especially with the evolution of the offenses in the past 20+ years. Foe example, a lot of these kids can't run block for shit, all they do is deal with RPO and spread type stuff. You might get more correct answers if you quizzed HS tackles on the Pythagorean theorem than you do by asking them what a 3 point stance is.

Back
Top Bottom