| NEWS NFL scout assesses Alabama WR DeVonta Smith

B

Bama News

Prior to his record-breaking performance against Ole Miss, DeVonta Smith was known as the guy who got behind Georgia's secondary and caught the game-winning pass in overtime to win the national championship game as a freshman at Alabama.

But 11 catches for 274 yards and five touchdowns in a single game do something for a player's profile, creating a wave of momentum in NFL Draft buzz that rivals projected first-round teammates at the position Jerry Jeudy, the reigning Biletnikoff winner and Henry Ruggs, who might be the fastest player in college football.

What's the latest on Smith, who will be draft-eligible for 2020, from the league's point of view?

“Not very strong and REALLY skinny, but he’s a good athlete with good speed,” one AFC scouting director told Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer on Monday. “Will drop the football too, that’s been a problem. He’s a solid mid-round player, but you worry when he’s not surrounded by all that talent, if his deficiencies show up a lot more.”

Considering Alabama's bevy of weaponry at wideout, it's surprising someone in the know considers Smith a potential risk when he's not on the same offense as Jeudy and Ruggs. After all, his yards-after-catch explosion against the Rebels had nothing to do with his two better-known teammates.

“Like the coaches tell us, they’re not going to teach us how to be runners," Smith said after the game. "What we do with the ball in our hands, they're not going to coach that. If we catch something short and we take it, that’s what they want.

"Nobody wants to just catch the ball and be like, ‘Okay, I’m just gonna go down right now.’”

As 247Sports national analyst Chris Hummer noted in a post-game article on Smith, Alabama's third option had one of the most impressive receiving efforts in college football history. Comparing his outing to other recent memorable performances, Smith's stands above most:

• Smith is one of only nine players since 2000 with 250-plus receiving yards and four touchdowns in a game.
  • Smith is one of only 12 players since 2000 with five receiving touchdowns in a game Smith is one of only three players since 200 with 10 catches, 270-plus yards and five touchdowns, joining Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) and Carlos Henderson (Louisiana Tech).
  • From an SEC perspective, Smith’s touchdown mark tied the SEC’s all-time record and slotted sixth in receiving yards.
Hummer writes, "this was a titanic performance by Smith, who made things happen in the open field. In fact, Smith averaged 14.5 yards per catch. Sound pedestrian? That’s what Smith averaged after he caught a pass, per PFF College, which means Smith created 160 yards in the open field. There have only been 20 other players who’ve had 160-plus yards in a single game this season."

What's frightening about Smith and Alabama's record-setting pace through five weeks is that the Crimson Tide could get better according to Nick Saban, who believes his team "left a lot of plays" out there against Ole Miss despite scoring 59 points.

Smith will be selected in next year's draft if he chooses to declare after the season and "mid-round" sounds like a worst-case grade for him.

You know, it just dawned on me.

If you do a little googling you'll find a number of articles talking about which receiver has the speed, which receiver is the best at routes, and which receiver has the best hands.

I'm guessing if we looked we could find a half of a dozen articles referring to Smith having the best hands. I KNOW I've seen two, at least, this season alone from the news bot pulling articles from AL.com.

I guess it all matters how many WR's come out this year and how many teams want to draft one. I personally think he's 4th best on this team, but 3rd best of draft eligible WR's.. So while he may "grade out" as a 1st rounder, it may be a tough year to make that $$$$.

Wouldn't break my heart to see him back next season! But also love seeing these kids take the next step. RTR

“Will drop the football too, that’s been a problem. He’s a solid mid-round player, but you worry when he’s not surrounded by all that talent, if his deficiencies show up a lot more.”

Do what? So, the guy that is known for having "the best hands" out of a group of possibly the greatest collection of receivers on one team in the history of college football has a "problem" with drops? You could count on one hand how many drops Devonta has had in three years. Is this guy watching film on a Tennessee player or something?

If you do a little googling you'll find a number of articles talking about which receiver has the speed, which receiver is the best at routes, and which receiver has the best hands.

I'm guessing if we looked we could find a half of a dozen articles referring to Smith having the best hands. I KNOW I've seen two, at least, this season alone from the news bot pulling articles from AL.com.

Pretty sure I saw Marq Burnett do a story like that in the preseason. And he was quoting the other players saying this.

One thing for sure...the receivers compliment each other ....
And seem to enjoy being part of the receiving corps.....
Instead of pouting when they dont get the ball...they ...seem anyway....happy for the other.... and with so much talent.....double coverage on a single one...usually Judy...opens it up for the others...
Be great if DS stayed....for another year...

One thing for sure...the receivers compliment each other ....
And seem to enjoy being part of the receiving corps.....
Instead of pouting when they dont get the ball...they ...seem anyway....happy for the other.... and with so much talent.....double coverage on a single one...usually Judy...opens it up for the others...
Be great if DS stayed....for another year...

Before last Saturday, I was thinking he would stay as well. Smith, Waddle and Metchie would be a nice trio next year.

And you've heard our old buddy Gary Danielson mention it. LOL But I'd heard it before as well. Just giving you a hard time...

I agree with him. One game does not make a career. I said earlier, in another post, that DeVonta needs to put some meat on his bones. He will get abused if he goes pro after this year. Yes, he has talent but if you put Jeudy, Ruggs and DeVonta on the draft board, DeVonta will be the third of those three. There are only 32 slots in the first round and all 32 teams do not have receiver as a first round priority. Other schools have good receiver talent, too. All combined it pushes DeVonta down the list into later rounds. I'm not hating on the guy, just being realistic.

If Mecole Hardman can go mid 2nd round and get 1.4 mil per year I firmly believe DeVonta will be no lower than mid 2nd if he decides to leave early

He will never have Jeudy's moves or Ruggs speed and by staying he takes the chance of having a drop off year if Jones/Lia/Young etc doesn't have the chemistry with him that Tua does.

It's all about team needs and the number of WR's in this years draft but I could see him going in the 2nd round.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom