| GOLF New Alabama golf facility moves forward with larger price tag - AL.com

B

Bama News

Alabama’s proposed men’s and women’s golf facility received its latest stamp of approval Friday by the university’s board of trustees, with a higher price tag.

The facility was first announced and approved by the trustees in February 2022 with a $26 million budget. It received second-stage approval in June with the same budget, but was presented for third-stage approval Thursday to the trustees’ physical properties committee with a $39 million budget.

The higher price tag was the result of increases in the price of building construction (up $6.6 million) and price of course construction (up $3.5 million), as well as higher architect and engineer fees.

What's wrong with their facility at Ol' Colony? It's really nice.

If they're not building a full 18 hole course, they're just wasting all that money.

Not a slice, just a down right hook OOB.
@SnakeDoc the comment I made here? We're having another Montoya moment.

I wasn't agreeing with your thoughts here:
If they're not building a full 18 hole course, they're just wasting all that money.
Golfers don't need to have an 18 hole course at a training facility. Hell, I improved my game the most when playing an executive course. Length, per hole, didn't matter nor did the number of holes.

In this case with Bama's new facility, they DO have an 18 hole layout. The facility also offers a nine hole course.

The same added cost areas as baketball. Are they taking a double-take on what to do with basketball's home?
I have heard that gutting Coleman is still on the table as they are continuing to look at the options. Along with that I understand one of the proposals of a new facility over by Rhoads is off the table: parking issues.

The Tip Off Club meets today for lunch. Their last meeting was a couple of weeks ago with Byrne (when some of this came up.) I should get some feedback today from those attending. (I know one person who'll be pissed off, again, because they charge more for Yuengling than Budweiser: $6 vs $5. Communist, they are!)

@SnakeDoc the comment I made here? We're having another Montoya moment.

I wasn't agreeing with your thoughts here:

Golfers don't need to have an 18 hole course at a training facility. Hell, I improved my game the most when playing an executive course. Length, per hole, didn't matter nor did the number of holes.

In this case with Bama's new facility, they DO have an 18 hole layout. The facility also offers a nine hole course.
I totally agree that 18 holes aren't necessary for training, but neither is a new facility when you have a great course and facility already at Ol' Colony. My thought is that if you can't improve what you already have then don't bother. Of course, I don't see a problem with Coleman, so I know I'm in the minority on that one, too.

I totally agree that 18 holes aren't necessary for training, but neither is a new facility when you have a great course and facility already at Ol' Colony. My thought is that if you can't improve what you already have then don't bother. Of course, I don't see a problem with Coleman, so I know I'm in the minority on that one, too.
Coach: We need to work on your fairway game today. We'll start at 220 out, then move to 210, then 200 and so on.

Also Coach: Watch the group teeing off at 8:10, you should be able to get a few swings in. Remember, there's another group at 8:18, then another at 8:26, then another at 8:34 ...

Public course versus an 18 hole practice course.

Your suggestion, "if you can't improve what you already have, don't bother," would mean what, exactly? Closing the course to UA students would be the start. Then it would be the same for PARA members?

Don't misunderstand me here, Ol' Colony is a HELL OF A LOT better than the old course (Harry Pritchett) that was open when I was in school. What's now known as the Links of Tuscaloosa was a dog track cow pasture and it was only slightly worse than Pritchett. But, the school teams' practice facilities are still behind the times; poor compared to a lot of others.

Reminds me ... HIdden Meadows opened around the same time at $125 a month for a golf membership/$225 for full privileges. I understand it's nowhere near as nice as when it opened.

Coach: We need to work on your fairway game today. We'll start at 220 out, then move to 210, then 200 and so on.

Also Coach: Watch the group teeing off at 8:10, you should be able to get a few swings in. Remember, there's another group at 8:18, then another at 8:26, then another at 8:34 ...

Public course versus an 18 hole practice course.

Your suggestion, "if you can't improve what you already have, don't bother," would mean what, exactly? Closing the course to UA students would be the start. Then it would be the same for PARA members?

Don't misunderstand me here, Ol' Colony is a HELL OF A LOT better than the old course (Harry Pritchett) that was open when I was in school. What's now known as the Links of Tuscaloosa was a dog track cow pasture and it was only slightly worse than Pritchett. But, the school teams' practice facilities are still behind the times; poor compared to a lot of others.

Reminds me ... HIdden Meadows opened around the same time at $125 a month for a golf membership/$225 for full privileges. I understand it's nowhere near as nice as when it opened.
I believe Hidden Meadows is closed.

I was hoping it would reopen. I just started going to the driving range for the first time in 20 years, and it's closer to the house.
One of the nice things about that course is you could chip from the range to the practice greens (if no one was putting in that area.) They were HUGE, and several levels and banks to play off of...

OT, a bit...was waiting to tee off on #1 one afternoon and saw a rattlesnake strike the back tire of the cart for the group in front of us as they were leaving. I went back in and had a shot...and I don't drink when I play golf.

One of the nice things about that course is you could chip from the range to the practice greens (if no one was putting in that area.) They were HUGE, and several levels and banks to play off of...

OT, a bit...was waiting to tee off on #1 one afternoon and saw a rattlesnake strike the back tire of the cart for the group in front of us as they were leaving. I went back in and had a shot...and I don't drink when I play golf.
Was the group ahead playing Cobras? :laugh:

Wow. That would be unsettling. I'd probably have to ask for a refund before I burned the place to ground. I hate snakes.

Had they noticed the snake?

Had they noticed the snake?
No. They had about a 2½" rough surrounding the three tee boxes.
Re: Hidden Meadows.... There was a rumor when it was being sold that a developer was going to buy it and build on it. I guess something similar to what went on with Altadena Valley in B'ham.
There were properties out there I was envious of ... overlooking the small, wooded valley's.

I played Hidden Meadows about 7 years ago in a 2 man scramble for work. I liked the course. Wasn't in the greatest shape back then but it had a lot of potential.

I played Hidden Meadows about 7 years ago in a 2 man scramble for work. I liked the course. Wasn't in the greatest shape back then but it had a lot of potential.
When it opened it was one of the nicer courses I've played. Nice pool area, nice club house. It was kept as well as Indian Hills and The Woodlands (Tall Pines now, I believe.) I spent the better part of the fall of '93 in that clubhouse studying/reading. 18 books I had to read that semester...geez.

When it opened it was one of the nicer courses I've played. Nice pool area, nice club house. It was kept as well as Indian Hills and The Woodlands (Tall Pines now, I believe.) I spent the better part of the fall of '93 in that clubhouse studying/reading. 18 books I had to read that semester...geez.
I didn't realize it was that old.

Back
Top Bottom