| FTBL NCAA vs. NFL. One player's observation.

G

A few nights before the A-Day Game, God blessed me in allowing me to be back in Alabama and to eat at one of the Dreamlands (Northport). Apparently I owe something addition to God in the future because as it turns out there were several players there signing autographs and talking with the customers.

Among them was Antonio Langham, who by the way said that he was keeping himself busy these days running his trucking company. One of the questions that I asked him returned an answer that surprised me.

I asked him what the difference was between playing in College vs. the Pros.

To paraphrase Antonio's comments, he said that the College game meant more. There was more pressure in College. The emotional investment before, during, and after the game was higher. It was in so many ways a bigger stage.

Noting the look of surprise on my face he elaborated in saying that once players get to the pro, and have their contracts signed, they generally don't get as upset about losing a game. Antonio went on to describe it as being as if there was a communal shrug of the shoulders and an "oh well, I still get paid" sentiment.

By contrast Antonio said that in College winning is the only measuring stick for success that the player has. Further, with living on campus and attending classes there is an accountability (daily and face-to-face)to fans that the College player see which the Pro does not.

Therein, lies the reasons I don't follow the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. There is a purity in the competition in college sports that can only be found in High School sports and lower ages.

TerryP said:
Therein, lies the reasons I don't follow the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. There is a purity in the competition in college sports that can only be found in High School sports and lower ages.

Very well said. I feel the same way....I do find myself watch pros in the playoffs....seems that is the only time they really put any emotion in the game on a play to play basis.

Has anyone else watched the Alabama Legends DVDs from a few years ago?

John Hannah was talking about when he first got to the Patriots, one of the coaches asked him how he thought he would feel playing in front of 30,000 fans on national TV. Big John's response was (and this is para-phrased "Only 30,000? I'll try not to be to disappointed." :lol:

Kc said:
TerryP said:

Very well said. I feel the same way....I do find myself watch pros in the playoffs....seems that is the only time they really put any emotion in the game on a play to play basis.

Yeah. I rarely ever watch NFL ball, except the playoffs. The same with other pro sports. I only watch playoffs. The only time I ever watched a whole season of pro ball was when Jordan played for the bulls.

For me, I can't find any foundation to give my loyalty to any pro team. Take any team in the NFL, it doesn't matter which, who are they, were are the players from?

How many players from New York play for the Giants? How many from Texas play for the Texans? Who knows, probably not many though.

I think I would feel the same way if Birmingham had a team. What would that mean to me if only one or two players from the state of Alabama were actually on the team?

I want to feel connected, to feel like the men on the field are like me in some way. I want to know they have seen and been around the same things I have.

Players from other states are fine but I want, at least, a small majority of players playing for Alabama to be from Alabama.

That gives me something to root for, something to pull for, I can say those are 'Bama men out there winning those games. It makes me feel proud.

That is what I have never understood about aubu*n, they don't have very many players from Alabama, never have.

Of course, the fan's of aubu*n are not proud to live in the state of Alabama anyway. They, almost to a man, will tell you that they wish they were in Georgia because they are ashamed of Alabama and Alabamians.

So, I guess that works for them. Anyway, I got off topic a little.

CtrlAltieDel said:
For me, I can't find any foundation to give my loyalty to any pro team. Take any team in the NFL, it doesn't matter which, who are they, were are the players from?

How many players from New York play for the Giants? How many from Texas play for the Texans? Who knows, probably not many though.

I think I would feel the same way if Birmingham had a team. What would that mean to me if only one or two players from the state of Alabama were actually on the team?

I want to feel connected, to feel like the men on the field are like me in some way. I want to know they have seen and been around the same things I have.

Players from other states are fine but I want, at least, a small majority of players playing for Alabama to be from Alabama.

That gives me something to root for, something to pull for, I can say those are 'Bama men out there winning those games. It makes me feel proud.

That is what I have never understood about aubu*n, they don't have very many players from Alabama, never have.

Of course, the fan's of aubu*n are not proud to live in the state of Alabama anyway. They, almost to a man, will tell you that they wish they were in Georgia because they are ashamed of Alabama and Alabamians.

So, I guess that works for them. Anyway, I got off topic a little.

I'm sorry, what were you saying? I could hear you over the photos at the bottom of your post. :p

LBS said:
I'm sorry, what were you saying? I could hear you over the photos at the bottom of your post. :p

It doesn't matter what I said, LBS, you were paying attention to the important things. LOL

Back
Top Bottom