| MBB/WBB 🏀📺 NCAA / SEC Games of the Week: UK visits LSU Tuesday night

BPI gives Houston a 61.4% chance to win this game.
Up until recently ESPN didn't release their BPI until mid-December then they started publishing preseason rankings. The reason for not releasing their power rankings was the lack of data: now it's based as much on pre-season projections as it is real time rankings. I believe this is the case with such a high percentage given to Houston.

To date, Houston's competition hasn't come close to the level Bama's seen. They have one Q1 game (lost) just like Bama (won.) UH hasn't played a team in Q2 while Bama is 4-1 against the same group. UH is 4-0 in both Q3 and Q4 where Bama has only played one game against that group.

Back to the BPI:

Like the FPI we don't know what goes into their rankings and what's in their formula. Based on other metric based rankings Houston has a slight edge in defensive efficiency on one (KenPom) where others have Bama rated higher (Haslam.)

61.4% ... too high.

Up until recently ESPN didn't release their BPI until mid-December then they started publishing preseason rankings. The reason for not releasing their power rankings was the lack of data: now it's based as much on pre-season projections as it is real time rankings. I believe this is the case with such a high percentage given to Houston.

To date, Houston's competition hasn't come close to the level Bama's seen. They have one Q1 game (lost) just like Bama (won.) UH hasn't played a team in Q2 while Bama is 4-1 against the same group. UH is 4-0 in both Q3 and Q4 where Bama has only played one game against that group.

Back to the BPI:

Like the FPI we don't know what goes into their rankings and what's in their formula. Based on other metric based rankings Houston has a slight edge in defensive efficiency on one (KenPom) where others have Bama rated higher (Haslam.)

61.4% ... too high.
The question I will have if the Houston D clamps down on Bama how will that impact the shooting and how will we hold up at the freethrow line. Our D also will need to bring it. I guess I expect for us to play down some from the last 1 1/2 games. Just a hunch because of the style of play we have those type of hiccups. That is when the FT line and D comes into play with regards to a W or an L.

The question I will have if the Houston D clamps down on Bama how will that impact the shooting and how will we hold up at the freethrow line. Our D also will need to bring it. I guess I expect for us to play down some from the last 1 1/2 games. Just a hunch because of the style of play we have those type of hiccups. That is when the FT line and D comes into play with regards to a W or an L.

This year we aren't tied to the three as much as in the past because we have some players in the paint that can score for us. Oats really has recruited a well rounded team that can win from multiple gameplans. Very exciting.

Back to the BPI:

61.4% ... too high.

Houston's NET ranking is #4 we are #11 they lost to Wisconsin a far superior team than Iona outside of this our schedule has been more demanding. Houston's best win is Virginia and win have the Zags win. For what ever reason the metrics favor Houston the past two years the NET loved them last year. I agree the 61.4% is a little high Saturday's game will come down 3 pt shooting and I will be shocked if Houston doesn't out rebound us.

Houston's NET ranking is #4 we are #11 they lost to Wisconsin a far superior team than Iona outside of this our schedule has been more demanding. Houston's best win is Virginia and win have the Zags win. For what ever reason the metrics favor Houston the past two years the NET loved them last year. I agree the 61.4% is a little high Saturday's game will come down 3 pt shooting and I will be shocked if Houston doesn't out rebound us.
"...schedule is more demanding" is being nice.

Virginia is a 6-4 team and the remaining teams (sans Wisconsin) aren't any better: a handful of four and five win teams.

Another way to look at these two schedules. Houston has played nine games. Two of their opponents (NW St. and Alcorn St.) have a combined 15 losses on the season. You'll find 20 losses in the eight opponents Alabama has played this season; seven of those 20 are UA wins.

Personally, I don't give the NET a lot of weight this time of the year. I find it to be a great tool when thinking about the 64 but I don't find their rankings very indicative of game to game results.

Purdue Purdon'th or Purdidn't. 🤷‍♂️

Two top ten upsets last night:

Purdue Purdon'th or Purdidn't. 🤷‍♂️

Two top ten upsets last night:

Incredible insight from the Rutgers color guy.

Saturday, December 11, 2021
DATEAWAYHOMEGAME INFO
12/11 - 11:30 AM ET*Nebraska(18) AuburnESPN2
12/11 - 1:30 PM ET(12) ArkansasOklahomaESPN2
12/11 - 2:00 PM ET*Mississippi StColorado StateESPNU
12/11 - 3:15 PM ETMissouri(8) KansasESPN
12/11 - 4:30 PM ETUNC Greensboro(13) TennesseeSEC Network
12/11 - 5:15 PM ET(10) KentuckyNotre DameESPN
12/11 - 6:00 PM ET(25) LSUGeorgia TechESPN2
12/11 - 6:30 PM ET*TCUTexas A&MSEC Network
12/11 - 8:30 PM ET*Western KYOle MissSEC Network
12/11 - 10:00 PM ET(14) Houston(9) AlabamaESPN2

<Self-introspection: I really must dislike guys coming from the NBA into college head coaching positions due to repeated cases of schadenfreude I experience watching CBB. Bobby Hurley is the only exception and I can't figure out if that's because of his family or his position played at Duke.>

Vandy had the spotlight last night as the only SEC team playing. This game featured a 60K paycheck to Loyola ... for a L from Loyola. Stackhouse.

If I had a microphone, "Penny, what's Memphis this season?" A LOT of talent on that team for the Tigers to be 5-4. (FWIW, I didn't see them in Palm's Bracketology yesterday.)

<Patrick Ewing: I thought he was a fit at Georgetown. Steve Alford. Do you remember him from his days at IU? Especially from behind the arc? He's a good coach but I wouldn't mind seeing him lose every game. I can't tell you why.>

Back
Top Bottom