| FTBL National Press wants Saban to fail

T

TWBama

I wonder if these people know this does nothing but motivate us....

Which brings us back to the tired old question about why the national media, particularly those in South Florida and at ESPN, hate the new Alabama football coach? You've heard this question asked before and there are some strikingly obvious answers, starting with Saban himself.

However, I decided to go to someone who has written about the first-year Alabama coach and who converses regularly with others who have been hypercritical.

Bruce Feldman is a senior writer for ESPN Magazine and writes a regular college football blog for ESPN. He has been with ESPN for 13 years and has just completed his second book -- "Meat Market ... A Season Inside College Football's Premier Recruiting Machine." It will be published in September.

I went to Feldman because of a blog he had written about Saban recently in relation to pressure on the Tide coach and his glacial relationship with many in the media: "I can't think of a coach who the media would love to see fail more than Saban," Feldman wrote.

It struck me because of its radioactive honesty. Most scribes at least try to hide behind objectivity.

Click Here for the full Finebaum article

Feldman said

In the end, we all know Saban should be judged on his record. Well, at least, that is the conventional wisdom of those in Alabama. However, according to Feldman, even a solid record at Alabama won't faze many in the national media who already have their knives out, just waiting for an opening, any opening.

Can anyone remember a time in college football when so many in the sports media have rooted so hard for one person's failure?

Good read dude! Talk about love and hate! lol

i like to think that coach saban is sitting in his office reading all of this crap that comes spouting out of the mouths of idiots. after reading it all, this happens:

leans back in his office chair
crosses his arms
smiles slyly and says with a wicked laugh,

"Watch what happens when we take the field, mother f*ckers!"

then we ROLL to a 12-0 record.

skeeter_jones said:
i like to think that coach saban is sitting in his office reading all of this crap that comes spouting out of the mouths of idiots. after reading it all, this happens:

leans back in his office chair
crosses his arms
smiles slyly and says with a wicked laugh,

"Watch what happens when we take the field, mother f*ckers!"

then we ROLL to a 12-0 record.

IF that actually happened, I'd be one p*ssed off guy!! I can assure you, by no means is he sitting in his office (or any of the asst. coaching staff) reading what is being written in papers.

Which, leads me to a story...

A couple of years ago a "review" was written and posted on the premium section of Bamamag. It was a very simple breakdown of each coach and their responsibilities. A graded scale, if you will.

Well, the guy who wrote that post heard from two of the coaches that he had criticized, albeit constructively.

When I heard about it I almost blew my top. Here we are coming off of a bad season and they are spending their time reading reviews of their performances online?!?!?

Coaches, have better things to do especially when the results of their units aren't doing so well.

Anyone care to guess who the two coaches were?

Back on topic...

If we fail, it's news. Sad, since we are so illrelavent.

TerryP said:

Well let's see here, based on the evidence we have, which is:

1) These obviously weren't stellar coaches based on the fact that BamaMag had heaped criticism on them and...

2) They were obviously pretty incompetent to be surfing the net when they should be coaching up our guys...

I'll go WAY OUT on a limb here and guess Rader and Connelly.

RollTideRandy said:
TerryP said:

Well let's see here, based on the evidence we have, which is:

1) These obviously weren't stellar coaches based on the fact that BamaMag had heaped criticism on them and...

2) They were obviously pretty incompetent to be surfing the net when they should be coaching up our guys...

I'll go WAY OUT on a limb here and guess Rader and Connelly.

It was a board member, not a staff member of Bamamag.

You got one of them right in Con.

FWIW, Rader has NEVER received a fair shake. He didn't do a thing but coach QB's, and he did a good job with that.

TerryP said:
It was a board member, not a staff member of Bamamag.

You got one of them right in Con.

FWIW, Rader has NEVER received a fair shake. He didn't do a thing but coach QB's, and he did a good job with that.

Con was the obvious. Did you ever hear/read any interviews with him? Clueless is all that comes to mind. How in the world he got on @ UCLA is beyond me. :shock:

I really have no idea who the other coach could be as I've already tried to forget much about the past few years. Maybe special teams coach Ungerer?

BTW, there are several on here that would agree with you regarding Rader. Unfortunately the fact that he came from a desk most recently and will probably return to a desk didn't exactly help his credibility.

Read, heard, spoke with him. Again, stories beyond belief. Many wonder how he kept his job considering the success his OL had, rather didn't have. Rudolph has a red nose, Con has a nose.

It wasn't Ungerer. It was Ball. To think that there was a group that had him labeled/ordained as our next DC killed me. Hell, I would have had a hard time watching our games if that would have ever came to fruition.

I know Rader caught a lot of flak. Heck, up until the last day we had people complaining about his "play calling," even when most knew he didn't have that luxury except for one game. OSU.

Those people also either forgot, or simply weren't old enough to remember him hanging 50+ on UT in '86.

What killed me about the anti-Rader crowd is they never asked, or wondered, why Rader wasn't questioned about the lack of offensive production.

To one thing there is NO doubt. He did one hell of a job with JPW and his development.

Back
Top Bottom