| MBB/WBB Nate Oats Contract Extension

But put em at 3line and fire away
They sure aren't gonna beat a team with a dominant big center covering basket

Fast sharp passing will get someone open
So what the hell Alabama players supposed to do then? You want a faster sharp passing that gets people open? Explain how that would work?

gets the ball let me pass the ball quick to someone and hope they get open* OFFENSE isn't the issue with Alabama. We've had several 100 points game this season. It's more of defense issues.

Davin Cosby has showed potential. We know he can shoot on offense. That's not the issue. Nate Oats on Cobsy after Ole miss game:

He is coachable. Just need another season and he'll figure it out on defense. He isn't consistent on defense yet. That's why you're not seeing him much on court.

On timeouts: You think timeout will actually stop the momentum? Not always. What is Nate Oats going to say during timeout that he's already saying on sideline during the action. "Play the @#$$ defense guys! " Simple as that.
I think timeouts can be utilized in an effective way to regroup on D and to help get everyone on the same page. Like you said though, it doesn't always stop the opponents momentum. I actually think Oats took a timeout when Florida was beginning their run.

Unfortunately, our D is what it is. It's not an effort thing. We just don't have the size or physicality to enforce our will. I think next season will be much better in terms of being able to defend the rim better and create second chance opportunities for our offense.

I think timeouts can be utilized in an effective way to regroup on D and to help get everyone on the same page. Like you said though, it doesn't always stop the opponents momentum. I actually think Oats took a timeout when Florida was beginning their run.

Unfortunately, our D is what it is. It's not an effort thing. We just don't have the size or physicality to enforce our will. I think next season will be much better in terms of being able to defend the rim better and create second chance opportunities for our offense.

This is what many don't understand, or forget, or overlook, etc... While there have been plenty of breakdowns and IMO a few instances of poor effort, most all of the issues are a direct result of having players that just are not physically capable to do what is asked of them on defense. Examples: half step slow... not a long reach... It is similar to what we saw with the 2021-22 squad... that when it comes to defense, the limitations are a problem.

This is what many don't understand, or forget, or overlook, etc... While there have been plenty of breakdowns and IMO a few instances of poor effort, most all of the issues are a direct result of having players that just are not physically capable to do what is asked of them on defense. Examples: half step slow... not a long reach... It is similar to what we saw with the 2021-22 squad... that when it comes to defense, the limitations are a problem.
I’m thinking that would be the responsibility of the man that just got a contract extension and raise. If Oats doesn’t solve the defensive and rebounding problems Bama fans can expect more frustrating seasons.

I’m thinking that would be the responsibility of the man that just got a contract extension and raise. If Oats doesn’t solve the defensive and rebounding problems Bama fans can expect more frustrating seasons.

Based on his history, is there something that makes you think he won't? As far as "frustrating" seasons, I'm thinking that's more on the individual fan. Personally, I'm not the least bit frustrated by how this season played out... in fact, they exceeded my expectations (of which I posted in the preseason). I've yet to be frustrated by any of Oats' seasons thus far. If you are, I'd question what your expectations are of Alabama basketball.

Based on his history, is there something that makes you think he won't? As far as "frustrating" seasons, I'm thinking that's more on the individual fan. Personally, I'm not the least bit frustrated by how this season played out... in fact, they exceeded my expectations (of which I posted in the preseason). I've yet to be frustrated by any of Oats' seasons thus far. If you are, I'd question what your expectations are of Alabama basketball.
I believe expectations are the key thing for us as Bama hoops fans. It isn’t football. We’ve historically been happy with a tournament bid. An SEC championship was almost like a NC in football. Some have raised expectations given the recent success, including making it inside the top 5 of the season rankings some, (and possibly the coach’s salary relative to peers), but it’s probably premature. Expectations for many and even myself sometimes, need to be tempered. Our hope has brought expectations of things we’ve never experienced (like a Final Four run).

? I'm confused. Oats has stated that this team is fun to coach this year, and honestly, it's not the players... it's more of not having enough buyin... I think these guys learned a lesson about not playing defense... we'll find out in tournament.
Brother, that lessons been obvious all year, hasn't changed a thing.

It's not an Oats problem though, it's the mentality and toughness of some of the players. They don't score a basket, so they jog back, they give up a turnover so they don't find their defensive match on the other end.

The problem is that some of these guys have been doing this all year. Oats is taking mental notes of that, wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 transfer out at the end of the year because of it. (Probably told to find another spot by Oats)

Brother, that lessons been obvious all year, hasn't changed a thing.

It's not an Oats problem though, it's the mentality and toughness of some of the players. They don't score a basket, so they jog back, they give up a turnover so they don't find their defensive match on the other end.

The problem is that some of these guys have been doing this all year. Oats is taking mental notes of that, wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 transfer out at the end of the year because of it. (Probably told to find another spot by Oats)
Maybe bama hoops need a “third half program“..😉

Last edited:
I believe expectations are the key thing for us as Bama hoops fans. It isn’t football. We’ve historically been happy with a tournament bid. An SEC championship was almost like a NC in football. Some have raised expectations given the recent success, including making it inside the top 5 of the season rankings some, (and possibly the coach’s salary relative to peers), but it’s probably premature. Expectations for many and even myself sometimes, need to be tempered. Our hope has brought expectations of things we’ve never experienced (like a Final Four run).

That and most everyone has a recency bias. What happened last year means nothing. What happened a month ago means nothing. It's purely black and white with zero gray. I've seen several infer that Oats must have top 5-10 results now that he's a top 5-10 pais coach. I'd argue that one doesn't necessarily equal the other... there's too many variables. Even still, if you look at the highest 10 paid head coaches out there, I'd say Oats fits in pretty well with them in terms of where he has the program these days. This has been pointed out a ton of times, but to replace all 3 key assistants and most of the roster (there's only 4 holdovers out of the 11 guys who have played meaningful minutes this year) and still end up 2nd in the SEC and with a likely 4 seed? Yeah, the defense sucked. Which in a way makes it even more remarkable.

Oats has raised the expectations in the relative short time he's been here. That's fair to say... I'd encourage people to go back and search some old threads around here from what expectations were a few years ago... but, it's still a work in progress, on the court and off. And I'm a bit dismayed at how this season seems to be written off as some major failure by some, especially when it's not even over yet. The stretch run to the finish was rough, but it was also a gauntlet compare to some. And putting much stock in the SEC Tournament? LOL and anyone doing that. Winning it is great and all, but it's the basketball version of the Outback Bowl.

Even still, if you look at the highest 10 paid head coaches out there, I'd say Oats fits in pretty well with them in terms of where he has the program these days.

Last five years...

COACHWINSLOSSESW %
Bill Self12936.780
John Calipari10553.664
Tom Izzo9961.618
Bruce Pearl11146.707
Rick Barnes10250.671
Scott Drew12733.793
Dan Hurley11942.739
Brad Underwood11148.698
Kelvin Sampson14628.839
Nate Oats11352.684

Last five years...

COACHWINSLOSSESW %
Bill Self12936.780
John Calipari10553.664
Tom Izzo9961.618
Bruce Pearl11146.707
Rick Barnes10250.671
Scott Drew12733.793
Dan Hurley11942.739
Brad Underwood11148.698
Kelvin Sampson14628.839
Nate Oats11352.684

And that is playing a more difficult schedule than most of the others... just based on the 3 other SEC guys.... One could argue that Oats has had the better 5 year stretch.

All I’m saying is defense, rebounding, and effort are all coachable issues. As I’ve said before, I’m old school and when I played sports many, many years ago if you did not or were unable to do those above things your azz was on the bench. Yes, I’m aware that things are different now and if the coach PO’s a player they just get mad and transfer. To me, that’s what frustrating.

All I’m saying is defense, rebounding, and effort are all coachable issues. As I’ve said before, I’m old school and when I played sports many, many years ago if you did not or were unable to do those above things your azz was on the bench. Yes, I’m aware that things are different now and if the coach PO’s a player they just get mad and transfer. To me, that’s what frustrating.

Totally understand what you're saying, yes those are all coachable things. BUT, when the ceiling of limitations is lower on some of those guys, you can only get so much out out them regardless of the coaching. That, IMO, is where most of the issues are. We can talk about why Bama doesn't have higher ceiling guys on the defensive end, there's probably some blame to lay at the feet of Oats there. In his defense though, nobody expected the Bediako departure. And Clowney blossomed much quicker than expected and ended up a 1 and done. That late in the process, Oats was behind the 8 ball in filling their shoes via the portal. Based on what is coming in, and some that I think will remain, I have a lot of confidence that next season's squad will be much closer on defense to what Oats wants (and needs), like last year and in '21.

So what the hell Alabama players supposed to do then? You want a faster sharp passing that gets people open? Explain how that would work?

gets the ball let me pass the ball quick to someone and hope they get open* OFFENSE isn't the issue with Alabama. We've had several 100 points game this season. It's more of defense issues.
Well driving to basket to open 3s...hows that worked last monrh...?

Back
Top Bottom