| MBB/WBB Nate Oats Contract Extension

It's possible I'm overreacting. It's just.... last night really discouraged me. I couldn't sleep last night after that embarrassing loss. It's the worst I've seen out of Bama since the lowest point of the Hobbs era.
“POSSIBLE?” You think? 4 out of 5 seasons in the NCAAs, sans the Covid year and this is “the worst you’ve seen since the Hobbs era!” Overreact much do we? Someone needs to go for a walk and get some fresh air!! Just stay away from the roads. We wouldn’t want you to wander into traffic!

He literally has 4 letters in his last name and you can’t even get that part right. Sit this one out.
I thought he was Oates. It's actually Oats. I've been spelling it wrong since he's been here. That's on me. But his job performance this season has caused me to really question things. We are FAR too talented a team to be getting pasted as often as we are

I figured we had just reloaded with equally good guys this season
Better in some areas.

If you want, run a search back in November. In a conversation we touched on Pannone and the defensive philosophy I thought they were bringing this season. In a sense, they have. Oats talks intensity and that's a trademark of that "Tagging" system Pannone preaches. I can't say they are equally good on this side of the ball, this season.

Brandon asked opinions of this season before it tipped. I said, "shit show." That's been proven correct.

I'm more frustrated with the sport as a whole versus this season's Tide team. But the game is changing: very little of the outside to inside style basketball has been for decades. It's now an inside to outside game...a different game.

I'm not a big fan of Bilas...he'll tell ya Oats is a top three coach in the inside to outside approach that's taking over college basketball.

I figured we had just reloaded with equally good guys this season
I’m curious as to what folks see next year being like. We lose our top 3 scorers, top 3 rebounders and top 3 assist givers. Or at least they are all seniors (Sears, Nelson, Pringle and Estrada). Maybe some come back for a Covid year? We have a better recruit class coming in from what I’ve seen, so that’s a positive. But I’m interested to hear what folks think next year could look like. Will it be a successful season if we just make it to the dance? I would like to see a good run here and there in the dance.

I’m curious as to what folks see next year being like. We lose our top 3 scorers, top 3 rebounders and top 3 assist givers. Or at least they are all seniors (Sears, Nelson, Pringle and Estrada). Maybe some come back for a Covid year? We have a better recruit class coming in from what I’ve seen, so that’s a positive. But I’m interested to hear what folks think next year could look like. Will it be a successful season if we just make it to the dance? I would like to see a good run here and there in the dance.
You’ll have to wait until the fall for a more fair assessment to be honest. How many on current roster will transfer out is another question to consider.

Estrada is the only one without a year of eligibility remaining.

I believe the clock has run out on the free year of eligibility due to the pandemic. This school year was the last for that, if I am calculating correctly

I believe the clock has run out on the free year of eligibility due to the pandemic. This school year was the last for that, if I am calculating correctly
If I'm not mistaken, high school kids graduating in 2020 are also included whic6h would make it 2026.

If you were a first year student ...

2020Redshirt
2021Frosh
2022Soph
2023Jr
2024Sr
2025Covid

BTW, a "medical 'shirt can still be used as well. We could see players with seven years.

Grant, Hobbs, Avery Johnson, it was all hot garbage. The body of work of the Oates era has been good. But this season has been embarrassing. Losing 2/3 in blowout fashion to a subpar Florida team speaks volumes. We will be one and done in the big dance. Maybe round 2 if we're lucky. Definitely not sweet 16. No more home court. Everything is on the road now. Not looking good
Probably right. But what happened to this team. I cant figure. I saw a team that just buried people with 3s. And now its driving tobasket.

To many 3 shooters to cover...

Probably right. But what happened to this team. I cant figure. I saw a team that just buried people with 3s. And now its driving tobasket.

To many 3 shooters to cover...
We peaked in January after the A&M game. Guards are tired and we have had roster limitations inside all season. Only thing I wish Oats would do is give guys like Cosby more PT and learn how to take timeouts when momentum is shifting.

We peaked in January after the A&M game. Guards are tired and we have had roster limitations inside all season. Only thing I wish Oats would do is give guys like Cosby more PT and learn how to take timeouts when momentum is shifting.
But put em at 3line and fire away
They sure aren't gonna beat a team with a dominant big center covering basket

Fast sharp passing will get someone open

Good news: I don't think many of our guys are going to get NBA draft grades
Bad news: We may be forced to run it back with just a few additions. Hopefully we can get a few bad eggs to transfer out and whip the roster into a better one.

Good news: I don't think many of our guys are going to get NBA draft grades
Bad news: We may be forced to run it back with just a few additions. Hopefully we can get a few bad eggs to transfer out and whip the roster into a better one.
? I'm confused. Oats has stated that this team is fun to coach this year, and honestly, it's not the players... it's more of not having enough buyin... I think these guys learned a lesson about not playing defense... we'll find out in tournament.

Davin Cosby has showed potential. We know he can shoot on offense. That's not the issue. Nate Oats on Cobsy after Ole miss game:

“That was part of what I was talking about earlier. We played the guys that gave the best chance to win the game. I thought he’s played hard in practice. His attitude has always been great. He’s never lost his confidence on offense. I always feel like if I put him in, he’s going to make shots and play well. Again, I look to the bench and there’s no real defensive stoppers. I think he’s been trying to be better on defense. For the first time all year this week, he won to blue-collar points in practice. We chart all in practice every every day. So he won it in practice once this week.
He is coachable. Just need another season and he'll figure it out on defense. He isn't consistent on defense yet. That's why you're not seeing him much on court.

On timeouts: You think timeout will actually stop the momentum? Not always. What is Nate Oats going to say during timeout that he's already saying on sideline during the action. "Play the @#$$ defense guys! " Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom