| FTBL Move the SEC championship Game [Nashville stadium update]

To give you an idea of how big (small) 60,000 is, the lower bowl of BDS (the stadium before the major expansion) is 60,000.
Certainly small by today's standards for bib...bigger...biggest...philosophy
And those seats in clouds.....

Denny was great at just lowers...sat and watched a lot of yesterdays stars there...

When they upper decked one side....that was ugly....

2EF91456-7953-4B2E-9604-A64869E21637.jpeg
I remember when one of uprights were bent ( vs psu)

nick not only brought championships to bama ...he brought class..along with Mal...
Now..BD is incredible and beautiful nd fan friendly....and s well kept during the season

I expect it will have to rotate after 2026. The expansion has been westward for a while now so it needs to change.
Centricity is not required in championship game location selection but bidding cities will use their airport connections as key for fan access. Access to the city is important. Atlanta is an airline hub. Dallas is an airline hub. Houston is an airline hub.

You remember a few years when Missouri got in? What if Missouri was the highest ranking team. Missouri only hold 62,621. But it doesn't count at the end zone.

The uglier Georgia Dome in Atlanta seats barely over 70K. I'm not sure how that's somehow a huge issue. Better game atmosphere, makes things higher stakes in the regular season and you don't have to worry about whether a "neutral site" is actually neutral or if the city its in sucks every year.

The uglier Georgia Dome in Atlanta seats barely over 70K. I'm not sure how that's somehow a huge issue. Better game atmosphere, makes things higher stakes in the regular season and you don't have to worry about whether a "neutral site" is actually neutral or if the city its in sucks every year.

Georgia Dome was an amazing place to watch a game. Great views.

Centricity is not required in championship game location selection but bidding cities will use their airport connections as key for fan access. Access to the city is important. Atlanta is an airline hub. Dallas is an airline hub. Houston is an airline hub.
Being central has to be THE consideration except if it rotates around, which is why I expect rotation. Nobody wants certain teams basically having home field advantage every time and teams like Texas and Oklahoma are not going to stand for always having to travel to ATL. I expect Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas to be in the mix for sure, maybe a few others. At first they may just go with 2 locations, maybe ATL and Dallas probably. That might work long term just to rotate them back and forth. Both have domes and they are both easy to get to.

Being central has to be THE consideration except if it rotates around, which is why I expect rotation. Nobody wants certain teams basically having home field advantage every time and teams like Texas and Oklahoma are not going to stand for always having to travel to ATL. I expect Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas to be in the mix for sure, maybe a few others. At first they may just go with 2 locations, maybe ATL and Dallas probably. That might work long term just to rotate them back and forth. Both have domes and they are both easy to get to.
The location is selected many years in advance so there’s no way they can determine if the game will be too close for any school.

The problem with Dallas is that’s where the Big XII championship game is held.

The location is selected many years in advance so there’s no way they can determine if the game will be too close for any school.

The problem with Dallas is that’s where the Big XII championship game is held.
It isn't that it can't be close to a single school any given year, it is that it is located almost as far east as you can go and still be in SEC country. Someone will usually be close to it, but it shouldn't always be the teams in one general area that get that. Basically, we all knowTexas and Oklahoma are not going to sit around and not at least try to get it moved out of Atlanta. I prefer rotation than moving it to New Orleans. I really would prefer the highest ranked team hosting to anything else.

I did forget about Dallas being the Big XII game location, and that it would still exist after Texas and Oklahoma leave, so maybe Atlanta and Houston instead. I forgot Houston has a dome and they will be hosting the National Championship game next season.

Denny was great at just lowers...sat and watched a lot of yesterdays stars there...

View attachment 22772

nick not only brought championships to bama ...he brought class..along with Mal...
Now..BD is incredible and beautiful nd fan friendly....and s well kept during the season
Cool picture of Lamonde Russell - I proposed to my wife at an Alabama game & he did an interview of us at the fence on the sidelines. Good times!

View attachment 22772

Warning Thread Hijack: Dang only beat UK 15-3? Wasn't this also the year that Bama got down early to Ole Miss like 21-0 to run off like 60 points?

I think it would be cool if they rotated the SECCG to other venues as well. They could rotate it among Atlanta, Tampa Bay, the Titans stadium up in Nashville, and Houston. It would give the fanbases something different to look forward too as well.

I think it would be cool if they rotated the SECCG to other venues as well. They could rotate it among Atlanta, Tampa Bay, the Titans stadium up in Nashville, and Houston. It would give the fanbases something different to look forward too as well.
Again, it’s not a matter of just picking a city. Cities bid for the privilege of hosting the game. So, the city has to financially promise money and resources to host the game. In many cases a city will want to be the host for more than a single year to put those resources in play. If they can’t, they won’t bid. Fewer bids and the negotiating power of the SEC goes down (they can generate a higher winning bid if four cities want in than if only two want in).

It’s all about the money.

Again, it’s not a matter of just picking a city. Cities bid for the privilege of hosting the game. So, the city has to financially promise money and resources to host the game. In many cases a city will want to be the host for more than a single year to put those resources in play. If they can’t, they won’t bid. Fewer bids and the negotiating power of the SEC goes down (they can generate a higher winning bid if four cities want in than if only two want in).

It’s all about the money.

Which is why the game has lost all sanctity. Once you treat a community team sport such as college football as a contractual business model your game will start to suck. And this isn't an issue that's exclusive to college football. "Managerialism" or "technocracy", as some call it, are cancerous governing methods in every major institution in the United States. Any aspect of quality is disregarded if the prospects of higher profits and efficiency are on the table.

I think that idea of rotating games to other venues would be fun for the fans and players. Executive managers in college football and city officials can quite frankly go fuck themselves if they think otherwise. I don't care if its logistically more efficient to have the game played in Atlanta every year. I do not care if it causes the SEC more headaches if their well paid lawyers and event planners have to negotiate with other cities. At the end of the day, they are in their position because of us, the fans. As well paid executives and managers in college football, it is their duty to serve the fans of college football to the best of their ability.

We were okay with Atlanta when we won more there than the Falcons. I don't know of another venue to have it and, as has been noted, no one is going to walk away from the money. It's also been shown that losing your CC doesn't necessarily hurt your playoff chances - if you're undefeated going in.

I think the issue isn't the size of the stadium or price of tickets, the issue the original OP had is the fact that Georgia fans own 90% of the tickets currently. They essentially have a home game there multiple times a year because they know it looks like a "neutral site" game but it's far from neutral site.

Back
Top Bottom