| FTBL Media Day Press Conferences: Saban, Rees, and Steele address the media (video)

I've never said Kelly was a bad coach. (I've seen Kelly field some bad coached football teams at Notre Dame in spite of their record.) I've never said Kelly didn't have a hand in Tommy's development. I have said he's not the only reason: far from it in fact.

My "argument" is about the fallacy found in "Saban found out about Rees because of Kelly." It's simply not true.

Think about this setting everything you know aside.

When Saban was looking for an OC is it the least bit logical that Whisenhunt pointed to Rees? It's a rhetorical question...but seriously. Rees used to work for Whisenhunt. I mean...dayum. 🤷‍♂️

Reminds me ...

Back in '12 we're talking about Bama and Notre Dame for the title game. In the media we saw A LOT pushing Notre Dame.

Here, at RTB, even in the end leading up to the game I felt as if I was screaming: I had beaten the hell out of one horse. @UAgrad93 was right along with me when I was shouting ...

They can't tackle!!!!

That was a badly coached Kelly team in spite of their record.
That is when Kelly learned about Cochran and the importance of GREAT strength and conditioning program.. We had it right then… Hope the tweaks big that edge back…

but can you agree with this one point… Rees does know Kelly
Sure.
I see Rees as a type of equalizer… As the Art of War states “know your enemy”
I'll bet Saban knew who Kelly was the instant he took the Cincy job (if he didn't before then.) After all, Kelly was taking over for Dantonio who had just accepted the Michigan State job...and as I'm sure you'll recall, Dantonio worked for Saban when he was the head coach for Sparty.

I say that, to say this. From Central Michigan to Cincinnati to Notre Dame and now to LSU. Kelly's offensive scheme last year was the same it's been. LSU didn't do anything differently than Notre Dame did the year before: they just have better athletes.

"Know your enemy" in this day and age? How's almost two decades of tape fit that bill?

Sure.

I'll bet Saban knew who Kelly was the instant he took the Cincy job (if he didn't before then.) After all, Kelly was taking over for Dantonio who had just accepted the Michigan State job...and as I'm sure you'll recall, Dantonio worked for Saban when he was the head coach for Sparty.

I say that, to say this. From Central Michigan to Cincinnati to Notre Dame and now to LSU. Kelly's offensive scheme last year was the same it's been. LSU didn't do anything differently than Notre Dame did the year before: they just have better athletes.

"Know your enemy" in this day and age? How's almost two decades of tape fit that bill?
“Know you enemy”…Kind of like Saban choose Bala…He was A Hugh Freeze guy at Liberty.. Now, Hugh is at Auburn…Im sure Bala can provide a good window into Hugh Freeze..Saban is very cerebral in his actions..A very wise decision…

But I’m not saying Bala is not a great coach!

That is when Kelly learned about Cochran and the importance of GREAT strength and conditioning program.. We had it right then… Hope the tweaks big that edge back…
If Bama had it right, why did all of those NFL S&C program directors Saban spoke with recommend a change? If the change was wrong, why did the Saints hire Matt Rhea as their director of sports science?

If Bama had it right, why did all of those NFL S&C program directors Saban spoke with recommend a change? If the change was wrong, why did the Saints hire Matt Rhea as their director of sports science?
Well, They are implanting a change of philosophy this year (see YouTube vids).. we will see if the edge comes back… we have been lacking something in the trenches for a couple of years… maybe now why match or surpass UGA.. I think UGA edged us out a couple of years in S&C… Their S&C is what really dominated all of their games…

“Know you enemy”…Kind of like Saban choose Bala…He was A Hugh Freeze guy at Liberty.. Now, Hugh is at Auburn…Im sure Bala can provide a good window into Hugh Freeze..Saban is very cerebral in his actions..A very wise decision…

But I’m not saying Bala is not a great coach!
Maybe? I don't know what more insight he can give into the Freeze offense.

Bala may know a bit about Freeze, but I wouldn't call him a wealth of knowledge or something to compare to a quote from Sun Tzu. He spent a year at Liberty as a defensive analyst. He was promoted to their linebackers coach this year and took the Bama job after a promotion. In his role at Liberty he was looking at one of two things: their defense or upcoming opponents' offenses.

I'd have to look at his resume to name the teams he's coached for although I remember his first stint was in the league as an intern: Raiders I believe. He's been coaching for about 10 years and has spent to stints as DC with different schools: five or six in total before Liberty.

Maybe? I don't know what more insight he can give into the Freeze offense.

Bala may know a bit about Freeze, but I wouldn't call him a wealth of knowledge or something to compare to a quote from Sun Tzu. He spent a year at Liberty as a defensive analyst. He was promoted to their linebackers coach this year and took the Bama job after a promotion. In his role at Liberty he was looking at one of two things: their defense or upcoming opponents' offenses.

I'd have to look at his resume to name the teams he's coached for although I remember his first stint was in the league as an intern: Raiders I believe. He's been coaching for about 10 years and has spent to stints as DC with different schools: five or six in total before Liberty.
Maybe Freeze taught him the skinny ankle
Philosophy of recruitment..😅

From Bala’s video he did appear to be a solid teacher, though..

I have been wanting to ask you for a while your thoughts on our Strength and Conditioning program. I know our focus was on explosion and helping minimize the ACL tearing we saw through our last progtam. We have seen a few with Metchie and Jameson still under the new program, but was curious on your honest thoughts now that we've had a few years to digest.

They are implanting a change of philosophy this year (see YouTube vids)
They upgraded equipment so players can spend time at one station versus several. The change is in time management while conditioning. It's not a change in philosophy.

If anything they've streamlined Ballou's program with more technology. As I recall, "supplement" was used quite a bit in that video..."supplement what we already have in place."

I have been wanting to ask you for a while your thoughts on our Strength and Conditioning program. I know our focus was on explosion and helping minimize the ACL tearing we saw through our last progtam. We have seen a few with Metchie and Jameson still under the new program, but was curious on your honest thoughts now that we've had a few years to digest.
That's a thread in itself. Which part? Weight room? Sports Science department? Mental health department? Rehabilitation?

I'll say this quickly. I think a lot of those disappointed in the plays of the two lines that have chosen to lay that blame on the S&C department are misguided.

That's a thread in itself. Which part? Weight room? Sports Science department? Mental health department? Rehabilitation?

I'll say this quickly. I think a lot of those disappointed in the plays of the two lines that have chosen to lay that blame on the S&C department are misguided.
It seems the later years we beat UGA, they out muscled us most of the game… we beat them in the late quarters with our stamina…we were fresher later in those games…our stamina beat them in the Last SEC title game… In the Natty, it seemed that UGA out muscled us and outlasted us in the 4th quarter… after that game, it appeared Georgia didnt look back… All last year, they out physicaled every team they played…it was like watching men vs boys all year…They found what we have been missing..All programs will have to find that “magic in a bottle” to match them…

I was just curious about the program as a whole.

Now, I could ask if we felt we have taken a step back from high intensity as a team that plays as hungry as when say Scott Cochran was around. It appears Georgia has taken that mentality since he arrived in Athens and steadily improved to show that aggressiveness we used to show. So do we believe it's a weight room issue or an intensity issue that follows Cochran? We can't sit there and say Georgia has hit on every defensive lineman, offensive lineman, and linebacker since he's been there and Alabama hasn't for the reason they are showing what we used to show. I would be curious to get your honest thoughts on why we seemed to not be as dominant after his departure, but Georgia's seemed to have taken over in that regard with his arrival. The optics could be misguided, but it appears to me, and a lot of others, Cochran brings some kind of factor with him after seeing the results the last few years..

I was just curious about the program as a whole.

Now, I could ask if we felt we have taken a step back from high intensity as a team that plays as hungry as when say Scott Cochran was around. It appears Georgia has taken that mentality since he arrived in Athens and steadily improved to show that aggressiveness we used to show. So do we believe it's a weight room issue or an intensity issue that follows Cochran? We can't sit there and say Georgia has hit on every defensive lineman, offensive lineman, and linebacker since he's been there and Alabama hasn't for the reason they are showing what we used to show. I would be curious to get your honest thoughts on why we seemed to not be as dominant after his departure, but Georgia's seemed to have taken over in that regard with his arrival. The optics could be misguided, but it appears to me, and a lot of others, Cochran brings some kind of factor with him after seeing the results the last few years..
You know who's the SC coach is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807-133623.png
    Screenshot_20230807-133623.png
    515.9 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom