| FTBL Media Day Press Conferences: Saban, Rees, and Steele address the media (video)

The comment has nothing to do with the acumen Kelly may or may not possess as a head coach.
That that was just for general purposes.. but you gotta admit, as cerebral Saban is… he had to see Rees’s knowledge of a Kelly program as an asset..During game planning the defensive coaches can pick his brain quite a bit…

That that was just for general purposes.. but you gotta admit, as cerebral Saban is… he had to see Rees’s knowledge of a Kelly program as an asset..During game planning the defensive coaches can pick his brain quite a bit…
How did Saban know of Rees? Again, it wasn't because of Kelly. In fact, Steele said as much in his presser about knowing his father before Rees was born. How? Because his dad is in the coaching profession.

A guy has experience as an offensive coordinator is something all coaches see as an asset. It doesn't take a cerebral coach.

Let's circle back to something earlier because it's never been answered. IF Saban wanted Rees because Kelly is as LSU, then why did Kirby want Rees? Kelly isn't facing Kirby this season. We don't know if UGA will face LSU in '24, 25, and down the line.

Going even farther here ...

Kiffin versus Kelly. No one is going to say Kelly is a better offensive mind than Kiffin. Saban interviewed Kiffin's OC, Weiss, Jr. If you're suggesting the hiring of Rees was based on Kelly's offense, Saban chose a lesser qualified candidate.

I don't know you that well. You've only been around here for what...little over a half of a year? In that time I've come to the impression you look for a bone to pick, a bone to chew on. The problem I see is you tend to pick up Milkbones™ versus a bone with some actual meat.

But what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

How did Saban know of Rees? Again, it wasn't because of Kelly. In fact, Steele said as much in his presser about knowing his father before Rees was born. How? Because his dad is in the coaching profession.

A guy has experience as an offensive coordinator is something all coaches see as an asset. It doesn't take a cerebral coach.

Let's circle back to something earlier because it's never been answered. IF Saban wanted Rees because Kelly is as LSU, then why did Kirby want Rees? Kelly isn't facing Kirby this season. We don't know if UGA will face LSU in '24, 25, and down the line.

Kiffin versus Kelly. No one is going to say Kelly is a better offensive mind than Kiffin. Saban interviewed Kiffin's OC, Weiss, Jr. If you're suggesting the hiring of Rees was based on Kelly's offense, Saban chose a lesser qualified candidate.

I don't know you that well. You've only been around here for what...little over a half of a year? In that time I've come to the impression you look for a bone to pick, a bone to chew on. The problem I see is you tend to pick up Milkbones™ versus a bone with some actual meat.

But what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
I don’t have anything but a simple different point of view…No real bones to pick… whether people answer or not , some are in agreement with me…some people just don’t want to hear the “street talk”…not only my opinion but the opinion of a lot of like minded people… sometime sharing a thought is worse than sharing a political thought… some people just get too bent out of shape…sometimes it’s just tounge and cheek stuff…Is being new the problem?…that shouldn’t matter..shouldn’t be a problem…it should be embraced…if everyone that the same as you would it be interesting in the end?….but that’s just me….

But what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
To answer the first question.. Saban knew of Rees because of Brian Kelly… Rees was a Kelly disciple all but one year of his career… Rees decided not to follow Kelly to LSU…Rees did good for one year as Notre Dame OC on his own… Then at Bama suddenly… Saban is a very cerebral guy indeed..

Screenshot_20230807-072905.png

Seem to do well despite academic......

If you say Golding gonna be an issue against us.. because he knows us well .. Pruitt with tenn see against us, smart against us, etc... It's not who knows defense... It's more of personnel and talent level.

You need to get off on Kelly and Rees train.

To answer the first question.. Saban knew of Rees because of Brian Kelly… Rees was a Kelly disciple all but one year of his career… Rees decided not to follow Kelly to LSU…Rees did good for one year as Notre Dame OC on his own… Then at Bama suddenly… Saban is a very cerebral guy indeed..
Tommy Rees was on several coaches lists..... He wasn't Saban's first choice when he was hiring this off-season.

Trust us when we say this... Saban did not hire Rees because of Kelly. He was hired because of his track record of developing quarterbacks.... That's the main reason. That was what the hire was for.

It has nothing to do with Kelly.

View attachment 25114

Seem to do well despite academic......

If you say Golding gonna be an issue against us.. because he knows us well .. Pruitt with tenn see against us, smart against us, etc... It's not who knows defense... It's more of personnel and talent level.

You need to get off on Kelly and Rees train.
Pruitt came close to beating us one time…

Pruitt was the best D cord we had under Saban.. He just didn’t hang around as long as Kirby to prove such…

All I said was the Golding has massive knowledge of Saban’s tendencies, and blueprints..He will give that to Kiffin to game plan..That will be problematic…

Notre Dame can not get the same athletes the Big Ten and the SEC can get because of their academics and restrictions… If they could they would be on the level.. they are just not quite there..

Pruitt was the best D cord we had under Saban.. He just didn’t hang around as long as Kirby to prove such…

All I said was the Golding has massive knowledge of Saban’s tendencies, and blueprints..He will give that to Kiffin to game plan..That will be problematic…

Notre Dame can not get the same athletes the Big Ten and the SEC can get because of their academics and restrictions… If they could they would be on the level.. they are just not quite there..
Go back to Tennessee and Alabama game and tell us what was the issue in that game?

Tommy Rees was on several coaches lists..... He wasn't Saban's first choice when he was hiring this off-season.

Trust us when we say this... Saban did not hire Rees because of Kelly. He was hired because of his track record of developing quarterbacks.... That's the main reason. That was what the hire was for.

It has nothing to do with Kelly.
Where did Rees come from… magic?…. Kelly molded Rees…

You do realize Golding and Steele calls completely different game?

Golding likes to call blitzes from 15 yards away. Steele likes to use LBs and DL to generate rush

You do realize Golding and Steele calls completely different game?

Golding likes to call blitzes from 15 yards away. Steele likes to use LBs and DL to generate rush
I understand… but Saban really believed in Golding… Saban put a lot of himself into his brain… Saban actually didn’t want him to leave..

You're dancing on different side of spectrum.. you're just rambling on and not actually listening to us. You're not listening to what Terry is trying to tell you and he's well connected to the program.
I’m listening… I have a different perspective…I actually talk to quite a few Alabama alums , former coaches and former players… Sometimes even other college coaches…some of my stuff is actually coming “from their mouths off the record” (cant reveal) …sometimes I think ya’ll take stuff too personal with me..I have only counter punched when necessary..

Is being new the problem?…that shouldn’t matter..shouldn’t be a problem…it should be embraced…if everyone that the same as you would it be interesting in the end?….but that’s just me….
You've missed a key line there: "I don't know you too well." It's how I started the comment. The time spent here was a reference to not know you well...because of your limited time here, so far.

Compare: I've never met @UAgrad93 though I've talked with him for years on this forum. When he writes something I understand his tone; because I feel I know him well. Some here I've known over 20 years in spite of never meeting face to face. Brandon is an example there; Kirk as well.

When the only form of communication is written, it takes time—and effort—to get to know someone. Much like you won't know an author's style until you've read his book we don't learn who people are until we've had time to read...well, essentially a small book's worth of opinions.

The only thing I've ever said about someone being new here was "read the room."

You've missed a key line there: "I don't know you too well." It's how I started the comment. The time spent here was a reference to not know you well...because of your limited time here, so far.

Compare: I've never met @UAgrad93 though I've talked with him for years on this forum. When he writes something I understand his tone; because I feel I know him well. Some here I've known over 20 years in spite of never meeting face to face. Brandon is an example there; Kirk as well.

When the only form of communication is written, it takes time—and effort—to get to know someone. Much like you won't know an author's style until you've read his book we don't learn who people are until we've had time to read...well, essentially a small book's worth of opinions.

The only thing I've ever said about someone being new here was "read the room."
Well in the end, It’s not personal… It may have gotten that way in the past… but I’m just putting things out there…sometimes even not so seriously…

You're dancing on different side of spectrum.. you're just rambling on and not actually listening to us. You're not listening to what Terry is trying to tell you and he's well connected to the program.

I get what he is saying. From what I am taking from you and Terry is that Rees was not developed at all by Brian Kelly. If that's the case what do we take from the Saban Rehabilitation Program or the Saban Coaching Tree that everybody wants to pick from. The head coaches have a lot of influence on their assistants. I'm not saying Saban chose Rees because he was under Kelly and it guves us insight into LSU, but to say Kelly had nk hand in developing Rees isn't very genuine either.

So, Steele knows of Rees because of his dad. Saban is friends with his dad. But Saban learned about Rees through Kelly.

You're more than welcome to die on this hill if you'd like. I can assure you, Saban did not simply know of Rees due to Kelly.
Rees did good for one year as Notre Dame OC on his own
Dude. You don't know Rees. He was the OC at ND from 2020-2022.

More on this story...

When Saban, as he always does, was talking to people around football about the opening and Tommy he did talk to a coach Tommy worked under: Ken Whisenhunt. Where does Whisenhunt work?

Literally. Saban knew of Tommy because he knew his dad. Saban knew of Tommy's ability as a coordinator from Whisenhunt...a guy Saban has worked with, asked advice from, and considers one of the best offensive minds in football. There's a reason Ken is in Tuscaloosa. (It's not the same but you can draw a parallel to 2007 with Pendry and Applewhite.)

IF you didn't know, Tommy worked with Whisenhunt when he was the offensive coordinator for the Chargers: Tommy served as his offensive assistant.

From what I am taking from you and Terry is that Rees was not developed at all by Brian Kelly.
I've never said Kelly was a bad coach. (I've seen Kelly field some bad coached football teams at Notre Dame in spite of their record.) I've never said Kelly didn't have a hand in Tommy's development. I have said he's not the only reason: far from it in fact.

My "argument" is about the fallacy found in "Saban found out about Rees because of Kelly." It's simply not true.

Think about this setting everything you know aside.

When Saban was looking for an OC is it the least bit logical that Whisenhunt pointed to Rees? It's a rhetorical question...but seriously. Rees used to work for Whisenhunt. I mean...dayum. 🤷‍♂️

Reminds me ...

Back in '12 we're talking about Bama and Notre Dame for the title game. In the media we saw A LOT pushing Notre Dame.

Here, at RTB, even in the end leading up to the game I felt as if I was screaming: I had beaten the hell out of one horse. @UAgrad93 was right along with me when I was shouting ...

They can't tackle!!!!

That was a badly coached Kelly team in spite of their record.

So, Steele knows of Rees because of his dad. Saban is friends with his dad. But Saban learned about Rees through Kelly.

You're more than welcome to die on this hill if you'd like. I can assure you, Saban did not simply know of Rees due to Kelly.

Dude. You don't know Rees. He was the OC at ND from 2020-2022.

More on this story...

When Saban, as he always does, was talking to people around football about the opening and Tommy he did talk to a coach Tommy worked under: Ken Whisenhunt. Where does Whisenhunt work?

Literally. Saban knew of Tommy because he knew his dad. Saban knew of Tommy's ability as a coordinator from Whisenhunt...a guy Saban has worked with, asked advice from, and considers one of the best offensive minds in football. There's a reason Ken is in Tuscaloosa. (It's not the same but you can draw a parallel to 2007 with Pendry and Applewhite.)

IF you didn't know, Tommy worked with Whisenhunt when he was the offensive coordinator for the Chargers: Tommy served as his offensive assistant.
Great info … I’m not doubting any of the above… but can you agree with this one point… Rees does know Kelly… and that will be very useful to know what makes LSU tick , as long as Kelly is at the helm… and as long as Rees is here too…Can Rees notice what Kelly is about to do, during a crucial part of the game, and alert the D cord…During a game plan session Rees can interject that “this is Coach Kelly thinks “ or “this is what CK would do”…Its a different game now…We knew that Notre Dame didn’t have our type of athlete… but LSU is close to matching us

I see Rees as a type of equalizer… As the Art of War states “know your enemy”… We have a former lieutenant, of the enemy working against the enemy (LSU)..

Back
Top Bottom