| FTBL Media Day Press Conferences: Saban, Rees, and Steele address the media (video)

Who is they? Who said S&C changes post season?

This is what Steele said today:

On the defensive line

"Right now, we’re early in fall practice, but they’ve worked really hard in the summer as a defensive line group. We’ve got talent there. They’re very coachable. And we’ve got some guys that are developing leadership in the room. That’s still a work in progress. But we have the talent. We’ve just gotta work the process.”

He never said it was the best defensive line ....
There was a two part video on YouTube about the New S&C system..designed for competition and no standing around waiting on stations …designed for very high intensity..

Steele says Alabama’s 2023 defensive line is the best he’s ever seen in Tuscaloosa. Says defense is coachable. Al.com quote and pasted.. maybe they misquoted..

Al.com did say that in one of there quote lines.
It's not a quote line. He's recapping the conference and adding things that are not true. Steele never said that. In the very next bullet point he quotes Steele. He does in the first line, not this one, but he does in the third, and fourth, and fifth, and sixth ...

Matt Stahl. I saw a tweet the other day introducing him to the Alabama beat.

Here's your first example of how he reports.

Writers liberty? Yes, with more than a dash of dishonesty.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it said Steele said that. It may not be true that he said it, but Al.com said he said it. Just saying
That's my point, "it said Steele said that." He didn't. I see a few takeaways here.

1) As mentioned earlier, this is Stahl's first press conference with Alabama. He's new to the beat. Is his first column indicative of his future work?

2) Out of the 20 or so in the media room, Stahl is the only reporting "the best he's ever seen." One "local" guy out of 15 or so and no one out of the national media mentions this. Is it a fair question to ask, "If Steele would have said this, wouldn't someone in the national media—who were there—mentioned the comment?"

3) With Stahl so new to the beat how does one find the quotation without actually going to AL.com and looking for news on Alabama? Which leads to the question, why is someone going to AL.com to look for news on Alabama?

To close, let's look at how stupid his comment was in the first place.

Steele was at Bama in '14. Stahl suggests that Steele thinks the current DL is the best...over that DL with Jon Allen, A'Shawn, and Pettway?

Personal observation:

We look at the RB room and think, "how do we get them all on the field? There's so much talent!"

Now, look at the DL room. What do you think? Have you seen anything the last few years that leads you to believe it's a great group? I see potential. I've seen potential the last few years: I haven't seen that much development.

Just like the left side of the offensive line, the DL ranks right up there for questions leading into this season.

Wesley Neighbors, like Tommy Rees, is thought of as one of the top, up and coming coaches in college football.

A theme in this thread is "Rees was hired because of Kelly's mind." Okay, let's continue with that for a second.

It's 2025 and Neighbors is hired at one of the top programs in college football. You choose the team in this scenario. Will Neighbors hire in '25 be seen under the same lens are Rees? Neighbors was hired because of his time spent under ...

Pete Golding. 🤷‍♂️

Wesley Neighbors, like Tommy Rees, is thought of as one of the top, up and coming coaches in college football.

A theme in this thread is "Rees was hired because of Kelly's mind." Okay, let's continue with that for a second.

It's 2025 and Neighbors is hired at one of the top programs in college football. You choose the team in this scenario. Will Neighbors hire in '25 be seen under the same lens are Rees? Neighbors was hired because of his time spent under ...

Pete Golding. 🤷‍♂️
Like him or not..Kelly is a great coach.. he has been a winner everywhere he coached… at Notre Dame he couldn’t get the athletes he desired because of academics..,But at LSU what academics standards, right… Kelly is going to have success there.. We are going to have to play our A game with him…

As far is Golding goes we will see soon.,. He will not be stuck coaching “inners”… he will coach secondary…Saban stuck Golding with a position group he could not coach up…When Saban choose Golding he was a DBack coach…Golding knows Saban and his system so that may come back to bite us a little..

Back
Top Bottom