| FTBL Looking like Shula-time again on offense

BAMA JAMMA said:
bamafan850 said:
All I got to say is, ROLL TIDE !!!!!!! Bring on FSU!!!!!!

True that!

I still stand by my prediction that we'll go 7-8 wins this year. It will take a year or so before Bama could possibly become a force to reckon with.

If there is goals to set for this year, it's beat Auburn and continue to improve each and every game as well as work on the mistakes from each of those games.

RTR

IDK long it's BARN,UCHEAT, and FSU it's all good in my book!

That being said I want to win the rest of them as well.. Hey it's hell being a bama fan! :wink: LOL

BAMA JAMMA said:
I hate to bring this to your attention but nothing is going to turn around within a year. If you are one of the delusional Bama fans that thought so... I'm sorry, but your bubble just got busted.

What???......If anyone is delusional it is you thinking that the offense should should be clicking without a hitch.

Let me make this real simple for you. JPWs performance will not change no matter what you say. You, Jamma, have absolutely no impact on whether he performs good or bad. I know it hurts to hear that, but it is a fact. So, you have one or two options - you can sit in your chair and throw stones and breed negativity OR you can sit in your chair and be supportive. Either way, do what you gotta do.

JP is learning a new system, with new plays, with new coaches, with new techniques. There are bound to be inconsistencies. Sorry he won't be winning the heisman this year.

BAMA JAMMA said:
Lay the pipe down Mr.Hi.....

I did. Just last night. But I didn't want to bring you know who into this.

Word to the routes being ran before the first down marker. I have a huge problem with that. Doesn't make sense to me...

Only other thing I've noticed is a little too much air under the passes. I think everything will be fixed in time though. :)

I was very unhappy with the 4th and 1 call. Guess who we have to blame? SABAN. He admitted that it was HIS decision to go with that play.

I don't agree or like the call, but if it was executed no one would be complaining. :? I won't pretend to agree 100% with any coach we have, but last I check he's getting 4 million - not me.

HiTide said:
What???......If anyone is delusional it is you thinking that the offense should should be clicking without a hitch.

Not that you've answered any of my questions before, so I don't really expect you to comprehend this ONE MORE TIME, but please show me where I said such a thing. :roll:

HiTide said:
Let me make this real simple for you. JPWs performance will not change no matter what you say. You, Jamma, have absolutely no impact on whether he performs good or bad.

LOL, are you 7? I ask that because clearly you have issues fabbing up stories. AGAIN, show me where I said such a thing. :roll:

HiTide said:
I know it hurts to hear that, but it is a fact. So, you have one or two options - you can sit in your chair and throw stones and breed negativity OR you can sit in your chair and be supportive. Either way, do what you gotta do.

Where do you see me being negative? Reading comprehension > YOU. For the record, I support my team to the fullest, 0-12 or 12-0. Probably more so than a delusional fanboy such as yourself.

HiTide said:
JP is learning a new system, with new plays, with new coaches, with new techniques. There are bound to be inconsistencies. Sorry he won't be winning the heisman this year.

I don't think anyone here believes JPW was even in contention for the Heisman. That must be some good smoke you're burning :lol:

HiTide said:
I did. Just last night.

Yup, figured as much. That solidifies what I thought.

Now let me make this real simple for you. I'll do it in cliff notes so it won't cause any pain in your cranium.

-JPW needs work. As you've agreed with.

-The staff is doing a great job. It will take time, but we will get there. As you've agreed with.

-The $4 mill was money well spent. As you've agreed with.

From those short examples, how do you spin what your trying to spin off other people? Are you trying to be the next Bill O'Reilly? For someone who preaches about assumptions, you sure are the pot calling the kettle black. If you took some time and stepped away from the keyboard, you might actually realize we agree for the most part. As someone else mentioned a bit ago, maybe you need to step off and chill out. Go smoke another or something.

Like I said in my first reply to you, you're reading into our posts WAY too much.

Do us all a favor and quit trying to stir this into some childish debate. Nobody here is ever claiming what your trying to spin. So quit with the childish BS. Nobody is feeling bad for our team. We all support them. Just seems you can't take anyone giving the game a constructive criticism standpoint. What do you expect people to do on a forum? Not talk about things that we saw? All we are saying is what we see and feel. We all are aware our coaches know tons more than any one of us could ever know about any of the players on the team. That is not an arguement but a fact. So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to say that I, or anyone else, is saying we could do better. We're just speaking our minds about what we think JPW is doing.

I for one am kind of glad we got the loss. I knew we'd get a few this year and I'm just hoping it will put out some of the Sabanation/Era/NC/SEC BS and let's just focus on playing some quality ball!

I'm done replying to you on this because clearly you just don't "get it". Hopefully you'll understand it now that what you've assumped is clearly not what I said nor is what we are talking about.

RTR

porkchop said:
Birdman37 said:
seriously, chop this is the 2nd straight week u have jumped the gun during a game. i mean those plays u said very "shula like" are pretty damn basic plays. u gotta stop panicking man. that damn team played its heart out tonight and it will continue to do so under Nick Saban. and because of that (along with talent) we'll be in every single game this year and for years to come.

Bird, no offense man, but I'm not the one jumping the gun here. Did you actually read my post or just assume from the title what it was about? :?

I was remarking how some of our plays look similar to the ones run under Shula, and how it is ironic considering all of the heartburn we had over Shula's offense.

The only negative thing I said was that we were running routes stopping short of the first down markers, and we looked to be playing ultra-conservative in the first half. Both of these things were tendencies Shula's offense displayed.

yes, i did read it and thats y i said that the plays u pointed out were pretty damn basic plays man. a sweep? come on. what team doesnt have those plays u named? a spread offense maybe.

BAMA JAMMA said:
Where do you see me being negative?

Here:

BAMA JAMMA said:
With exception to most of the 1st game against WCU, JPW has not looked good throwing. Vandy game was not a fluke. He is going to get our receivers killed if he keeps throwing it up.

Again, this is a thread is entitled:

"Looking like Shula-time again on offense"

I assumed since you made it a point to disagree with my initial remarks (which were not directed towards you, you initiated this dialogue) that you disagreed with my point that our offense was in no way "Shula-Like", that these are more-less growing pains. I assumed you were defending the "Shula-Like" position.

BAMA JAMMA said:
Do us all a favor and quit trying to stir this into some childish debate

And then you write.......

BAMA JAMMA said:
Probably more so than a delusional fanboy

That's mature.

BAMA JAMMA said:
I'm done replying to you on this because clearly you just don't "get it"

OK

Sorry I do not see Shula style playcallign at all. first of all we have taken shots downfield. The run plays consist of more than Darby up the middle.

We have made the TE and HB more of a pass target, and he has used the spread.

Sure JPW has had an off game at Vandy, and then against UGA. Bama is 3-1 and people are complaining.

I will never allow my son to be a QB. One week your the hero, and the next week the problem with the team. If there is a better QB on the team I am sure CNS would play him. I would take JPW anytime as the QB of my team. He's a winner!

I do hope a moderator/admin will clean this thread up. Sorry to porkchop for helping steer this thread off topic replying to this guy. Wasted space.

porkchop said:
I've been thinking about making this post for a couple of weeks now and have not. Before you jump on me just read this. It's not all bad. :)

For all the talk about Shula's offense the last couple of years, if you notice, some of the plays we run, in the formations we run them in, are pretty much identical to Shula's old "Pro attack". Have you guys also caught that as well?

Case in point. Look at some of our staple plays this year.

(1) Grant, "handsweep" around the end with pulling linemen. Typical Shula play call there. Or it was, before he fell in love with 22 dive. :lol:

(2) Fourth and 1 misfire was a typical Shula play call in the past. The only difference is we would have lined up a FB at the extra TE position. Still the same play though.

(3) First play against Ark (if I remember correctly) is the patented Shula bomb with max-protect on the QB's strong-side. Load up the right, fake the inside give, drop back 7 and launch it deep. Same play we've run for the last several years.

(4) HB swing. How many of those did KD catch under Shula? It was a staple play run about 4-6 times a game.

The things that bother me though are these;

(1) Does anyone else feel like BAMA came in offensively a little ultra-conservative? Or should I say....Shula-conservative? We looked early on like we were scared to death of UGA's speed. I saw this too many times under the old regime and I can spot the behavior a mile away.

(2) 4th and 1 trickeration. Don't like it. Sends a bad message to me, and this was very Shulaesq IMHO.

(3) WR's are catching passes well short of the marker on 3rd downs. Shula's offense was notorious for this. Hopefully we'll get it corrected in the second half though.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed some of this stuff? Like I said, it's not all bad. On the play-calling though I definately see some of that whole "Pro-style offensive attack" that Shula ran in the past. Thus far the only difference is that Applewhite and Pendry have run it better than Shula did. Hopefully we'll get back to business in the second because we did not do a good job in the first of capitalizing on some field position when we had the chance.
I was wondering when the second-guessing would start. Right on cue.

RollTideinGA said:
Sorry I do not see Shula style playcallign at all. first of all we have taken shots downfield. The run plays consist of more than Darby up the middle.

I totally agree. In fact sometimes I think Applewhite gets a little too "fancy". I'm old school, but I'm trying to change. :wink:

JPW has had an off game at Vandy, and then against UGA. Bama is 3-1 and people are complaining.

I'm not complaining...I'm seriously concerned. :?

yeah no complaints here either.. just fear... I know JPW is an amazing QB, something has happened either to his confidence or maybe he is playing with an injury.. I don't know what the problem is but he isn't playing to his potential for one reason or another, and I hope he can figure out what it is, and soon

JSLayton said:

Thanks for the article.

I am not sure what to make of this whole debate going on in this thread but I am a BAMA fan so it means that I too have an opinion. :wink:

Just like in the Shula era, all of this comes down to execution. Like Optimus said, receivers have to go out and find holes in the zone and they don't seem to be getting there. When they do get there, I am not sure JPW is seeing them open because of his tendancy to stare at the primary receiver.

I had no problem with the play calling, even the pass on 4th and 1. The ball was either woefully underthrown or the receiver didn't run the correct route. That doesn't mean it was a bad call.

bamafan4ever said:
I had no problem with the play calling, even the pass on 4th and 1. The ball was either woefully underthrown or the receiver didn't run the correct route. That doesn't mean it was a bad call.

Saban admitted with a smile to the sideline reporter that it was his call. Did Bama"always run it with a FB on 4th and 1"Delta agree? Nah, but that's alright. At least I know to be angry with Saban instead of Applewhite. :wink: :D

Yea, I think the calls have been there but execution will always be an issue. That issue is addressed in practice & these guys are in their first season w/ the offense. Not sure how much weight that holds but it is sure to have some impact.

I tell you what though, it took some real balls for Major Applewhite to call two long bomb plays from the 11 on our final drive in a row, especially since JPW wasn't on the money that much all night. It was a welcome sight!!!

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
Yea, I think the calls have been there but execution will always be an issue. That issue is addressed in practice & these guys are in their first season w/ the offense. Not sure how much weight that holds but it is sure to have some impact.

I tell you what though, it took some real balls for Major Applewhite to call two long bomb plays from the 11 on our final drive in a row, especially since JPW wasn't on the money that much all night. It was a welcome sight!!!

Great point! I was hoping we would stretch the field a little more so we could maybe open up the run a little more but those two plays, deep in our own territory, took some cajones!

BamaDelta said:
bamafan4ever said:

Saban admitted with a smile to the sideline reporter that it was his call. Did Bama"always run it with a FB on 4th and 1"Delta agree? Nah, but that's alright. At least I know to be angry with Saban instead of Applewhite. :wink: :D

If it had worked we'd be praising him for his amazing coaching skills.

Back
Top Bottom