| FTBL Looking like Shula-time again on offense

Mind you, this is an observation and not to be perceived as criticism, but it seems like it takes JPW and receivers (I included them because their pass routes may be contributing to this as well) more time to complete a pass play than it does for our counterparts.

From the time the ball is snapped until the time JPW drops back or rolls out and releases the ball, it seems so much longer than when Dick or Stafford made similar plays.

Anyone else notice this?

Birdman37 said:
seriously, chop this is the 2nd straight week u have jumped the gun during a game. i mean those plays u said very "shula like" are pretty damn basic plays. u gotta stop panicking man. that damn team played its heart out tonight and it will continue to do so under Nick Saban. and because of that (along with talent) we'll be in every single game this year and for years to come.

Bird, no offense man, but I'm not the one jumping the gun here. Did you actually read my post or just assume from the title what it was about? :?

I was remarking how some of our plays look similar to the ones run under Shula, and how it is ironic considering all of the heartburn we had over Shula's offense.

The only negative thing I said was that we were running routes stopping short of the first down markers, and we looked to be playing ultra-conservative in the first half. Both of these things were tendencies Shula's offense displayed.

Wiseace615 said:
I think part of the reason that we were off offensively to begin with was the way that Georgia was blitzing. They were using corner and safety blitzes, and concealing them very well. That's something that they had not been doing, so I'm not sure we were quite ready for it. I also think that is the reason they closed their practices to the public.

I also think the guys had a little case of "we're #16 in the country" syndrome. I hated to see the loss, but I think that it will do them some good. Had we made it to 4-0, I'm not sure that even Saban could have controlled the egos. Now, it's back down to earth. He said in his press conference that he didn't have them ready and that would be corrected. I think there will be a lot attentive players in practice this week.

All in all this is where I see things:

The offense will improve.

Mustin and Motley should be back soon, and that will help out tremendously on defense.

Out of the eight games that are left, four of them we should be able to win. If we manage to win one of the other four (and IMO we will) then we finish the season with 7 wins. If we go 2-2 in those games (IMO very possible) we end the season with 8 wins.

That being said, we could lose the rest of the games this season. Anything is possible, but one thing I know because I've seen it already: We will be in every game, and will not quit until there are no more seconds left on the clock.

Bingo!

porkchop said:
I've been thinking about making this post for a couple of weeks now and have not. Before you jump on me just read this. It's not all bad. :)

For all the talk about Shula's offense the last couple of years, if you notice, some of the plays we run, in the formations we run them in, are pretty much identical to Shula's old "Pro attack". Have you guys also caught that as well?

Case in point. Look at some of our staple plays this year.

(1) Grant, "handsweep" around the end with pulling linemen. Typical Shula play call there. Or it was, before he fell in love with 22 dive. :lol:

(2) Fourth and 1 misfire was a typical Shula play call in the past. The only difference is we would have lined up a FB at the extra TE position. Still the same play though.

(3) First play against Ark (if I remember correctly) is the patented Shula bomb with max-protect on the QB's strong-side. Load up the right, fake the inside give, drop back 7 and launch it deep. Same play we've run for the last several years.

(4) HB swing. How many of those did KD catch under Shula? It was a staple play run about 4-6 times a game.

The things that bother me though are these;

(1) Does anyone else feel like BAMA came in offensively a little ultra-conservative? Or should I say....Shula-conservative? We looked early on like we were scared to death of UGA's speed. I saw this too many times under the old regime and I can spot the behavior a mile away.

(2) 4th and 1 trickeration. Don't like it. Sends a bad message to me, and this was very Shulaesq IMHO.

(3) WR's are catching passes well short of the marker on 3rd downs. Shula's offense was notorious for this. Hopefully we'll get it corrected in the second half though.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed some of this stuff? Like I said, it's not all bad. On the play-calling though I definately see some of that whole "Pro-style offensive attack" that Shula ran in the past. Thus far the only difference is that Applewhite and Pendry have run it better than Shula did. Hopefully we'll get back to business in the second because we did not do a good job in the first of capitalizing on some field position when we had the chance.

Did you think that everything would change in one year? We will transition into the team CNS wants. It doesn't happen over night. I am getting tired of the every game over throws by JP. Unlike out D, I see no improvement in him since game one.

GeorgiaTider said:
porkchop said:
I've been thinking about making this post for a couple of weeks now and have not. Before you jump on me just read this. It's not all bad. :)

For all the talk about Shula's offense the last couple of years, if you notice, some of the plays we run, in the formations we run them in, are pretty much identical to Shula's old "Pro attack". Have you guys also caught that as well?

Case in point. Look at some of our staple plays this year.

(1) Grant, "handsweep" around the end with pulling linemen. Typical Shula play call there. Or it was, before he fell in love with 22 dive. :lol:

(2) Fourth and 1 misfire was a typical Shula play call in the past. The only difference is we would have lined up a FB at the extra TE position. Still the same play though.

(3) First play against Ark (if I remember correctly) is the patented Shula bomb with max-protect on the QB's strong-side. Load up the right, fake the inside give, drop back 7 and launch it deep. Same play we've run for the last several years.

(4) HB swing. How many of those did KD catch under Shula? It was a staple play run about 4-6 times a game.

The things that bother me though are these;

(1) Does anyone else feel like BAMA came in offensively a little ultra-conservative? Or should I say....Shula-conservative? We looked early on like we were scared to death of UGA's speed. I saw this too many times under the old regime and I can spot the behavior a mile away.

(2) 4th and 1 trickeration. Don't like it. Sends a bad message to me, and this was very Shulaesq IMHO.

(3) WR's are catching passes well short of the marker on 3rd downs. Shula's offense was notorious for this. Hopefully we'll get it corrected in the second half though.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed some of this stuff? Like I said, it's not all bad. On the play-calling though I definately see some of that whole "Pro-style offensive attack" that Shula ran in the past. Thus far the only difference is that Applewhite and Pendry have run it better than Shula did. Hopefully we'll get back to business in the second because we did not do a good job in the first of capitalizing on some field position when we had the chance.

Did you think that everything would change in one year? We will transition into the team CNS wants. It doesn't happen over night. I am getting tired of the every game over throws by JP. Unlike out D, I see no improvement in him since game one.

For whatever reason, the zone has been like kryptonite to him this season. He's eating up man coverage but it's taking him a while to get going against zones. I don't know how much of that has to do with the new system.

HiTide said:
bamabarney said:
Something has got to be done with JPW passing

Good Lord Gents, JP is 4 games into a new system. Maybe he should just issue an apology and promise to make every throw a perfect one from now on.

Or better yet, lets just pull him and put Mac in.

I'll call Saban tomorrow and tell him about JP and all of our great ideas. I'm sure he's not aware of the problems we're seeing and I'm equally sure he is doing absolutely nothing to fix it.

Have you not been watching all of the games this year :shock: ? With exception to most of the 1st game against WCU, JPW has not looked good throwing. Vandy game was not a fluke. He is going to get our receivers killed if he keeps throwing it up.

porkchop said:
For whatever reason, the zone has been like kryptonite to him this season. He's eating up man coverage but it's taking him a while to get going against zones. I don't know how much of that has to do with the new system.

Lets not forget the wideouts/Te/Fb have to find the open spots in the zone. That way JPW could throw it to them, if he doesn't float it out of the staduim. So I blame both. It's not like we have studs at the wideout postions.. They are good don't get me wrong, but they both have a lot of work to do.

We should take a shot down the field as well and where the hell is our running game? Still mad over 4th and 1 and we passed... :roll:

JPW is a second late all freaking night....missed 3-4 td opps because of this. Hope we see his reads improve and then the offense will produce and be very difficult for anyone to defend. Other than that...it was Bamas to win or lose at the end. The players never gave up...FSU will pay :D

To me, it seems like the main problem is that John Parker knows who he's going to throw the ball to before the snap is made. He locks on to one reciever, and the only way he checks off is if he gets in trouble and dumps it off.

BAMA JAMMA said:
HiTide said:
bamabarney said:

Good Lord Gents, JP is 4 games into a new system. Maybe he should just issue an apology and promise to make every throw a perfect one from now on.

I'll call Saban tomorrow and tell him about JP and all of our great ideas. I'm sure he's not aware of the problems we're seeing and I'm equally sure he is doing absolutely nothing to fix it.

Have you not been watching all of the games this year :shock: ? With exception to most of the 1st game against WCU, JPW has not looked good throwing. Vandy game was not a fluke. He is going to get our receivers killed if he keeps throwing it up.

My point is this: We are paying Nick 4 mil/year (that's $4,000,000) to coach. I'm sure he watches the freakin' game tapes, not to mention standing on the side lines during the games(so whether or not I've been watching the games is irrelevant - but just so you know, I have). The way you and others talk suggest to me that you don't think the coaching staff is aware of these problems. Everyone assumes they understand all the reasons and have all the answers for every problem that arrises. You don't.

HiTide said:
BAMA JAMMA said:
HiTide said:
bamabarney said:

My point is this: We are paying Nick 4 mil/year (that's $4,000,000) to coach. I'm sure he watches the freakin' game tapes, not to mention standing on the side lines during the games(so whether or not I've been watching the games is irrelevant - but just so you know, I have). The way you and others talk suggest to me that you don't think the coaching staff is aware of these problems. Everyone assumes they understand all the reasons and have all the answers for every problem that arrises. You don't.

;w;w

HiTide said:

Um, I think you're reading into my ( and others) post WAY more than needed.

I don't disagree our coaching staff knows what they are doing. Is that your arguement? What I took from your post and replied to, was that you seem to be taking anything we point out as a negative thing about JPW. What we are seeing is something that needs to be worked on and addressed. If you watched the last two NSS you'd know he brought it up, so there is no arguement from me that are aware of his issues.

JPW just needs to settle down and get it done. He obviosuly has no problems making plays 'when he needs to'. The problem is he isn't consistant. Period. He throws worse when he has no pressure than he does when the game is on the line. It shouldn't be that way. If you watched all the games closely, you'd see JPW hardly ever settles his feet in the pocket, even when he has no pressure. Watch the FSU game next weekend and watch his feet. You'll see him tap dancing all game I bet. If you don't settle in the pocket or learn to throw off a fade, you're not going to be an accurate QB off pass plays.

I don't know if its mental or what but he did not look confident at all last night. Even early on in the first quarter. Something is going on there and it needs to be addressed. As you put it, we pay a lot of money for our staff. If JPW can't get it done, maybe we should try rotating some of the freshmen to give them some play time and see if they can at least throw accurately, or more so than JPW. I'm not saying we should pull JPW! I'm saying if something obviously isn't working for you, try plan B.

PS, I don't recall ever stating I have all the answers nor do I recall ever acting like I do. So please don't try and throw trash down my throat. Fact is, JPW needs to step up. He is going to kill receivers if he doesn't bring the ball down more. Watch and see....

BAMA JAMMA said:
JPW needs to step up

I attended both the Vandy and UGA games, and I keep hearing the same crap over and over again. It reminds me of those parents at little league games yelling and screaming from the bleachers at their kid on the field. Now, if you're one of those parents (or persons) that thinks this is constructive, and you think you have a better coaching philosophy than the coach, then by all means, continue your rant.

If, on the other hand, you think (being just a fan) that it is more constructive to support the athlete and let the 4,000,000 dollar a year coach do the coaching, then I sould suggest maybe try some encouragment instead of screaming.

This is what Saban was talking about when he said "everyone has a role". The problem with Alabama Football (since PBB) is that we've always had "too many chiefs".

Optimus said:
Hitide needs to turn into HIGHTIDE :lol: relax bro take deep breath..

Seriously, you are right. I probably do need to chill. But last night (just like 2 weeks before in Nashville) I had to sit for 60 minutes and listen to some drunk whine about JP's performance.

There is more to this than JP. In the Arky game for example, one of the INTs was due to the fact that the receiver cut his route short. JP does need to improve, I will admit that. But the point I'm trying to make is that I thought that finally, after hiring Saban for millions, we could finally have faith that whatever could be done to fix issues like this would get done. Instead, we have alot of folks that still know a hell of alot more than our coaching staff.

HiTide said:
BAMA JAMMA said:
JPW needs to step up

I attended both the Vandy and UGA games, and I keep hearing the same crap over and over again. It reminds me of those parents at little league games yelling and screaming from the bleachers at their kid on the field. Now, if you're one of those parents (or persons) that thinks this is constructive, and you think you have a better coaching philosophy than the coach, then by all means, continue your rant.

If, on the other hand, you think (being just a fan) that it is more constructive to support the athlete and let the 4,000,000 dollar a year coach do the coaching, then I sould suggest maybe try some encouragment instead of screaming.

This is what Saban was talking about when he said "everyone has a role". The problem with Alabama Football (since PBB) is that we've always had "too many chiefs".

Huh? Again please show me where I'm trying to imply I am better at play calling or coaching than any of the staff at UA. Please show me where I said I screamed at anyone about the game? Are you high or just pulling this out of your ass for the sake of an arguement? :?

If you think JPWs performance is great, then fine. Stand on your lonesome branch and hope it doesn't break. Just don't try and sit here justifying your notions that JPW doesn't have some issues he needs to address. Because that's totally asinine. It's nice to see you admit that he has issues. Afterall, that is all we were saying. Nobody is saying the coaches are blind and can't saee it and nobody is saying they could do a better job. JPW is the only one who can help himself in the end.

PS, no I'm not one of those parents who is a beligerant dumbass yelling at their kids. In fact I'm quite the opposite. However I do know a bad pass from a good one. I also watch my team play and examine their level they are palying at. JPW is better than how he has been performing. He just needs to get 'back into the groove' if you will.

Lay the pipe down Mr.Hi....

HiTide said:
There is more to this than JP.

I'm sure most of us here know there is no "I" in team. :)

I don't think anyone here is trying to place blame on any one person of the team. The team as a whole is a work in progress. The sooner people realize this, the better off we'll be.

HiTide said:
But the point I'm trying to make is that I thought that finally, after hiring Saban for millions, we could finally have faith that whatever could be done to fix issues like this would get done.

Oh. You're one of those fans. :roll:

I hate to bring this to your attention but nothing is going to turn around within a year. If you are one of the delusional Bama fans that thought so... I'm sorry, but your bubble just got busted.

I have faith in my team. I have faith in who Saban chose to hire as staff. I have not said anything to imply otherwise.

bamafan850 said:
All I got to say is, ROLL TIDE !!!!!!! Bring on FSU!!!!!!

True that!

I still stand by my prediction that we'll go 7-8 wins this year. It will take a year or so before Bama could possibly become a force to reckon with.

If there is goals to set for this year, it's beat Auburn and continue to improve each and every game as well as work on the mistakes from each of those games.

RTR

Back
Top Bottom