| LIFE Let's all bond together, shall we, and make a stand against systemic pain racism.

Funny, I was thinking about my Dad's oldest brother this morning. He had worked hard over his life, building houses as a carpenter when there were no skil saws to be found on the job. Everything by hand. In his later years, he suffered greatly from arthritis, or what he believed it to be. As a kid, I'd drop by with my Dad and he'd be struggling with something. Looking back, it was evident that he didn't seek or receive the medical care that might have made his days better. Lack of education and financial status affects healthcare options for all, not just minorities.

In regard to the initiative above, the gist is that blacks believe they are not treated equitably when it comes to seeking care for recurring pain because of their race. In their justification for the initiative, references go back to slavery and early medicine of the belief blacks are different biologically from others, and that it still affects health care training and practice today. I find that interesting, because there are others advocating that medicine doesn't do enough to consider the uniqueness of black health.

In the end, though, it's a flashy campaign of virtue signaling, and it stands to benefit a select few in the influencer and pseudo-media space.

Looking back, it was evident that he didn't seek or receive the medical care that might have made his days better.
So, your Dad's brother. He'd be in his late 80's, early 90's today? I'm guessing ... working in the "fields" in the 1940's? What medical care could have been provided to prevent arthritis today?

So, your Dad's brother. He'd be in his late 80's, early 90's today? I'm guessing ... working in the "fields" in the 1940's? What medical care could have been provided to prevent arthritis today?
He was a carpenter, in a day when most all was done by hand. He'd be 103 this year, nineteen years between oldest and youngest in my Dad's family. Even in the 70's and 80's, he would've benefitted from an accurate diagnosis and treatment - rheumatoid, osteo, or perhaps not arthritis at all. My point is that access to health care isn't a racial thing, it's an economic thing.

He was a carpenter, in a day when most all was done by hand. He'd be 103 this year, nineteen years between oldest and youngest in my Dad's family. Even in the 70's and 80's, he would've benefitted from an accurate diagnosis and treatment - rheumatoid, osteo, or perhaps not arthritis at all. My point is that access to health care isn't a racial thing, it's an economic thing.
I got your point; putting it together in my mind's eye.

Both points, actually. I knew you were talking about carpentry.

Sort of wild when I think about it ... I've gone from screwing in screws on projects by hand (I still have nightmares about the first dog house I built when I was a kid) to driver and hammer drills.

I got your point; putting it together in my mind's eye.

Both points, actually. I knew you were talking about carpentry.

Sort of wild when I think about it ... I've gone from screwing in screws on projects by hand (I still have nightmares about the first dog house I built when I was a kid) to driver and hammer drills.
Yeah, I have his old trim saw, looks about like the one below. I also have his skil saw that he got back in the 60's. It weighs about three times as much as my newer saws. It never comes out of the box.

Nailing has come a long way. Both of my uncles swung a mean hammer, would drive 16's in a single blow. When my Dad was a young teen stumbling around their jobs, trying to learn the trade, my uncle razzed him about choking up on his hammer to nail. One day, he was fed up, took the hammer from my Dad's hand and cut off half of the handle. As he was handing it back to him, my Dad said, "You can keep that hammer, it's yours." My uncle felt for his hammer on his belt and then realized he'd let my Dad borrow it to nail something. He was hot.

1710515583657.png

A real thing in the corporate world is the "Social score". One has to wonder if such statements by so many big corporations are simply a self-serving effort to improve that score. Just a thought.
I'm inclined to think it's more of a ...

IF we do this, it'll help our Social Credit score versus "Let's do this for our Social Credit score." In a sense framed like an unintended consequence.

Back
Top Bottom