| FTBL Just take a deep breath and count to 10!

BigAl said:
It took Coach Bryant 4 years to turn Alabama around and turn us into a national contender it took Stallings 3 years to do it and Saban wont be any different thats what it has to do with today. Saban is a good coach but hes not Superman.

LoL superman, nobody well maybe the rabid fan thought we'd be playing for a NC. Most fans are happy being 5-2 at this point. That meaning in control of our own destiny in the West.

bamascott2 said:
I was going at it from the 'legendary coach' angle. I included current coaches that may be legendary one day in the middle of the post, but you must've missed it.

And reger's right...it's moot.

:?
It's still very irrelavant we control our own fate. What others have done before hand has little to do with now. Many others have made the same comparison and contrast. On the site serveral times here.

If anyone thought that Bama was going to play for a NC is nuts. Given time I'm sure well be in mix granted, yet it takes a long time to abtain legendary stauts. This is just the first year and it's not over yet.

My point is we have to worry about the NOW Ole Miss hung 24 on us. The second half of our season is big time for us it's make or break what other did 50 or 10 years ago has nothing to do with now.

Ok here on the moot thing you could have said MAYBE not MAY BE :wink: –adverb 1. perhaps; possibly: noun 2. a possibility or uncertainty.

reger60 is a Freaking judas! ha haha lol :D

reger60 said:
Argo said:
reger60 said:

I don't think anyone here could careless about the difference between moot and mood.

For god's sake stop tossing around such care less statements.

Laughing-1.gif

Bamascott2...

To throw a monkeywrench in your analysis, Steve Spurrier took over a UF team in 1990 that was 7-5 the year before and who dismissed their head coach with three or so games left the prior year. A 7-5 team even with a Junior RB by the name of Emmitt Smith.

In Spurrier's first year, he did not have Smith (who left early for the NFL) and molded the prior years FIFTH STRING QB into the SEC Player-of-the-Year and had a 9-2 record. And save the stupid decision by the SEC to put Florida on probation in mid-season (should have been imposed at season's end) - when they were leading the conference standings, and deny the team any bowl or championship opportunities, they would have been Conference Champions that first year.

And should we bring up Tiny Terry's first year at Auburn in 1993 turning a 5-6 (or was it 5-5-1) record into 11-0?

So quick turnarounds can be done.

Now, I will argue that this UA team is woefully lacking in comparable talent to either of those UF and Auburn teams. So Saban has a much, much more difficult task. I think our staff has done a great job given its limitations.

Surprisingly though, I think the group that has been the most disappointing compared to last year given the returning talent is the DBs - the very group Saban works the most hands on with. Ironic I think.

alagator said:
Bamascott2...

To throw a monkeywrench in your analysis, Steve Spurrier took over a UF team in 1990 that was 7-5 the year before and who dismissed their head coach with three or so games left the prior year. A 7-5 team even with a Junior RB by the name of Emmitt Smith.

In Spurrier's first year, he did not have Smith (who left early for the NFL) and molded the prior years FIFTH STRING QB into the SEC Player-of-the-Year and had a 9-2 record. And save the stupid decision by the SEC to put Florida on probation in mid-season (should have been imposed at season's end) - when they were leading the conference standings, and deny the team any bowl or championship opportunities, they would have been Conference Champions that first year.

And should we bring up Tiny Terry's first year at Auburn in 1993 turning a 5-6 (or was it 5-5-1) record into 11-0?

So quick turnarounds can be done.

Now, I will argue that this UA team is woefully lacking in comparable talent to either of those UF and Auburn teams. So Saban has a much, much more difficult task. I think our staff has done a great job given its limitations.

Surprisingly though, I think the group that has been the most disappointing compared to last year given the returning talent is the DBs - the very group Saban works the most hands on with. Ironic I think.

Home run, Gator! I have thought the same thing. I was really expecting big things out of our secondary this year (a supposed strength in the preseason) and it was painfully obvious as early as the WCU game that this may not be the best unit we have seen over the last several years. I don't think it is from lack of effort because we are in the right spots most of the time but when we are out of position, whoa Nelly! Coach calls them "explosive plays" and we have seen our share this year from every team we have played. That's what worries me this week when we play UT. Say what you want about Eric Ainge but the boy can sling the ball around.

One thing I like is Saban is not scared to make changes to a lineup if someone is performing well in practice. Those boys are earning their spots every time they hit the practice field. That is something that was not true by, all accounts, in the last regime.

I think there has been some gradual improvement as well, just nothing Earth shattering. We do seem to be getting our hands on the ball on a more frequent basis. Our LB's even seem to be getting their hands on the ball. It's a good thing Prince Hall is a LB because he would make one crappy tight end! :lol:

I'll blame the secondary's problems on the lack of experience at LB. We knew at the beginning of the season we were going to have to play a high risk style of defense with a lot more blitzing instead of dropping LBs into coverage. Not saying that the secondary hasn't underperformed, I'm suggesting that they're not getting as much help as they used to.

reger60 said:
I'll blame the secondary's problems on the lack of experience at LB. We knew at the beginning of the season we were going to have to play a high risk style of defense with a lot more blitzing instead of dropping LBs into coverage. Not saying that the secondary hasn't underperformed, I'm suggesting that they're not getting as much help as they used to.

No, that's a really good point Reger and that lack of depth at LB is not something we had under Kines. I would have loved to seen what this staff would have done with the 2005 defensive unit. Could you imagine?!

bamascott2 said:
For those of you that are ‘freaked out’ that Bama barely beat Ole Miss and Houston, and are ONLY 5-2...remember:

Bear was 5-4-1 in his first year at Bama, with losses to (among others) Tulane and the Burners…and a scoreless tie with Vandy! You want close? We outscored our opponents 106-75.

Bobby Bowden, 5-6 at FSU! They got beat by Memphis! And beat North Texas by one!

Paterno…5-5. They blew out some teams, and got blown out of some themselves.

Woody Hayes. 4-3-2. Outscored their opponents 109-104, though!

Bud Wilkinson of OU. 7-2-1, with a thrilling win against Detroit (24-20), and a loss to TCU.

And those guys didn’t have to deal with the 85 scholarship limits!

You want current coaches for reference? Look at Pete Carroll’s first year (6-6) at USC. Jim Tressell (7-5) at THE Ohio State University. Saban’s first year at LSU (a loss to UAB, fer chrissakes)! Mack Brown was 9-3 his first year at Texas…but how long did it take him to get that OU monkey off his back?

Just…chill, everyone! We’re gonna be fine if we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot by demanding the impossible of Saban! He’s a helluva coach.

I am happy! I think we are doing great with what we have.

I am happy with the way this season has gone

The first 3 games of the season REALLY got the heart pumping and made you feel good about the team. Of course, this was a bit of a double edged sword as it made the losses a bit tougher to take. But as my father said, at least you feel good talking about Bama football again, which is something I have not felt in a long time.

Porterhouse said:
If anyone is seriously "freaked out" about being 5-2 at this point (with close loses to UGA and FSU), then they deserve whatever misery they are going through in my opinion.

This post is made out of 100% win. I agree friend. This season has gone about how I thought it would.
Another thing people need to realize/notice is that this season in college football seems to have more parity than any season I can ever remember. Every team is good this year. We are only 3 or 4 years from being 7-0. Likewise we are only 3 or 4 plays from being 3-4.

This is a good season. The football has been fun and Coach Saban is the man.

[/quote] Some could say their is 32 million reason why it should happen now![/quote]

Exactly much does a "6-6 year turn around into an undefeated season" cost? As far as I know no one is selling that, and Saban didn't offer that.

So what was he selling? And, is there any reason to believe that he is not delivering on what he was selling?

As Master Jedi/Head Football Coach Nick Saban *pauses for angelic music descending from heaven*
said, this is a proccess. Of course I want us to win out and go 10-2 but we won't. If we don't win another game I will still feel good about who our coach is and the direction he will take us once we get some of HIS recriuts under him.

We might very well loose to UT, LSU, AU and might even loose to MSU. If we do..fine. Bring on the legendary Coach Saban recruiting and let's get this thing going.

Back
Top Bottom