| FTBL If there was one rule you could change in CFB.

Two issues:

1) Crunching the game to better suit the needs of the networks. The fans have never complained. The networks are getting rich off a good product, so why shorten it. If you need more commercials, split the screen or scroll them across the bottom and keep playing, but run the game.

2) Penalty Box like hockey or Sin Bin like Rugby for major fouls. Play a man down (that man down) for 2 minutes on the game clock or until the other team scores. That'll learn ya.

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:
When the TE is covered up, he's technically a lineman. I suppose your thought is the defense should be reading jersey numbers to decide who is a receiver and who isn't?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Um...no.

If the defense doesn't know how the receivers are, then I guess they forgot to come to practice that week.

The refs know who is eligible on each play
. If the defense doesn't know...then so be it.

If the other team thinks Andre Smith is the TE and not Nick Walker...then oh well.

You know as well as I do, the QB will clear it with the ref if a lineman is eligible for a passing play.

~Bryan

Based on the formation the refs know who is eligible as receivers.

You are wrong about the QB having to clear it with the ref if a lineman is eligible or isn't eligible. They do advise the ref (line judge actually) at times (it's not a bad idea, by no means) that they intend to run that play but by no means is it a situation where they "clear" it with the ref.

As long as the tackle isn't covered up and you have enough men on the line of scrimmage (7) he's eligible.

That's the rules, check it out for yourself.

I've never argued the RULE...so don't argue with ME.

I'm simply posting in respect to the topic at hand. The topic asked what rule we would like to change, and this is one of the rules I selected.

The reason they ask the ref is so they won't be in an illegal formation. So in that case, they are in fact "clearing it" with the ref. No team is gonna check with a ref and then throw the ball to the left guard, (for example) if they know it's not legal in that give formation.

However, in a million years what difference does any of this make. I was simply responding to the original poster when he posed a question to the board.

In respect to checking the rule book, I'll save that for my retirement years when I'm on my front porch.

I'll be happy to tell my grandchildren all about legal/illegal formations in college football.

~Bryan

Ryek09 said:
RollTide1980 said:
In respect to "not enough men on the line"...they never specify the penalty. That is what makes me mad.

Was it not enough men in the trenches? Or was in not enough WRs on the line of scrimmage?

It is a pointless rule in my opinion. As long as everyone is BEHIND THE FOOTBALL (lol) then what difference does it make?

~bryan

the not enough men rule is one of the oldest in football. This rule eliminated the flying V. Before the rule offenses would start way behind the line of scrimmage and run full speed at the defense

Good ole arena football! lol :D

~Bryan

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
In respect to "not enough men on the line"...they never specify the penalty. That is what makes me mad.

Was it not enough men in the trenches? Or was in not enough WRs on the line of scrimmage?

It is a pointless rule in my opinion. As long as everyone is BEHIND THE FOOTBALL (lol) then what difference does it make?

~bryan

The rule has a direct bearing in eligible and ineligible receivers. Hence the term, a guy was "covered up."
I think it's also in place to prevent the "flying wedge" formation which led to a large number of serious injuries back in the day.

bamaupsman said:
TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:

~bryan

The rule has a direct bearing in eligible and ineligible receivers. Hence the term, a guy was "covered up."
I think it's also in place to prevent the "flying wedge" formation which led to a large number of serious injuries back in the day.

Agreed.

Since the wedge (flying V) isn't a part of football anymore I mentioned where it had a part in the game today.

Believe it or not I like Lou Holtz's idea from his Thursday night pep talk: In OT spot the ball on the 40 yd line instead of the 25. When defenses stop on the first three downs, it makes a field goal that much harder. It shows that conditioning, good defense and smash mouth running opening up the passing game still applies in OT

Back
Top Bottom