| FTBL If anyone wondered where we are defensively...

porkchop said:
ijijmijij said:
I think we'll see Arkansas whooping some tail throughout the rest of the season. They should be in the top 25 easy.

Could be wrong I suppose.

They're a hard team for me to gauge. They have a dynamic duo but are lacking at QB. Or have been. Dick may have turned the corner now who knows?

I can't believe I just said something about a Dick turning a corner.

Their defense will have to improve some if the pasing game does not. They will win some games but I'm just not sure how many.

Chop,

My eyes are getting too old for that little writing.

porkchop said:
...tonight is a good indication.

A totally one-sided team that cannot pass the ball to save their life has tied it up early in the fourth 31-31.

We should all be a little concerned regarding our 8 and 9 win predictions on the season. Chances are we're going to run into real trouble in the next few weeks. Our defense just isn't there right now and the special teams are spotty in areas.

I've watched this thread the last few days and all I can say is I came away from the game with a totally different take.

I've said 9-3 all along, and I don't feel differently about it, at all.

9-3 sounds pretty likely to me, as well. The way the season is developing, 11-1 is a possibility, but at our current talent level and with the lack of depth on defense we don't have any room for error.

I still think that with the defensive depth and overall talent level we're looking at 8-4. Maybe we'll win some shootouts and finish with a better record, or maybe we'll lose some and go 7-5.

We still have to play AU, who is going to make sure that if they don't beat anyone else this year they beat us. UT can still score points. UGA can score points and they have a defense. FSU is struggling offensively but they have a good defense. LSU is steamrolling everyone right now.

All those games are toss ups at the very least, and if BAMA misfires on offense and gives teams a short field? What if Mustin gets hurt again and goes out? He's arguably the spark plug on our defense right now and the second half against Arkansas is a good indication of (1) how much we rely on one player to hold it together for the defense and (2) our level of depth and talent.

I'm not saying that we have a WAC defense. All I'm saying is that we're not THAT good either. This is not the '92 defense but some of the statements I see made from people on various boards would lead you to believe that Arkansas is the pinnacle of offensive excellence in D1 and it was only due to our superior defense that we won that game. Some of these statements are coming from the same people that before the game, predicted 35-17 blowout wins based largely on Arkansas' inability to pass the ball. Of course Arkansas can run the ball though because they have 2 tailbacks that they run about 50 times a game combined.

Casey Dick did not come into his own against us the other night either. The guy completed less than 50% of his passes and he threw touchdowns on us because we didn't cover anyone. His first touchdown was nothing but blown coverage on our part. He didn't DO anything spectacular. We just blew coverage and bit on the play-action. His TD pass to Hillis was because we couldn't cover the back out of the backfield.

I'm proud of our kids and they are improving, but they're still raw and undisciplined sometimes on defense. It's not a knock on them, it just comes with the territory when you've got young players in a new system. But the situation is what it is and field position is going to be critical for us this year.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm proud of the kids and they're going to improve (and are improving) but we're not there yet. Some of these games are going to be very tall orders for our young defense, especially if the offense turns the ball over.

No, we are not there yet. Emotion will only carry us so far. Right now I can't even think past this weekend. Just one at a time.

Heart Attack Time

AFF said:
nightflight84 said:
Were totally lost and totally screwed..
As a Tide Fan i'am so disapointed right now..
And kicking a field goal when were down 38-31 and so close to the goal line late in the 4th quarter is total ''STUPID'',,,,
Well, I wondered about the call myself. But, right now it doesn't seem so stupid. We took the points and came away with something. Who knows? Maybe that gave them the extra confidence to pull it off in the end.

I guess that's why he gets the HUGE bucks.
Since Saturday I have started taking aspirin every day to prevent future heart attacks. I have a feeling that this season will have more moments like this.

Think of this Chinese Proverb:

"The oxen are slow but the ground is patient"

I hope we have the patients to ride the road back to the top. Roll Tide

Roll Tide!!!!!!!

I feel our defense is getting better every week. There is not a lot of teams that could not have stopped Mcfadden and Jones in the 2nd half with the offense not giving the D a breather. Plus we helped them out with turnovers or it would not have been so damn close. I like our D and think they are going to continue to get better. I know one thing, when it counted the most they stood strong. I think Arkansas is alot better than people are giving them credit for as well. I believe they will spank AU and give other teams a tough time. I think this weekend will be actually slightly easier than last but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom