| FTBL How loud will Jimbo squeal over Saban’s latest NIL comments?

@TerryP without getting into too much details...

Do you feel like he did it on purpose just to warn everyone, because every single time he has done something similar to that, he pulls the impossible. You think this was more of warning boosters that if they don't step up, we'll have some issues down the road?

Do you feel like Saban rant was personal...

without getting into too much details...
:ROFLMAO: There's too many moving parts with this whole thing not to pay attention to the details. Earlier someone on Twitter pointed to an article headlined by "Saban against NIL." Details, ya know?

Read this quote from Oats last night. He's talking about basketball—a different world—but I'm thinking you can see what he's inferring.

“If we can have some people really get behind some of the athletes and some of the teams, and able to support them -- we’re going to have to, in order to stay up,” Oats said. “That’s just the reality of it.”

That's an appeal to boosters.

“It’s all new, so we’re kind of figuring it out on the fly,” Oats said. “I think the university has done a pretty good job. We haven’t been out in front advertising a bunch of -- you’re still not supposed to be using it for recruiting. I think there’s some people out there committing some violations that maybe are going to get in trouble, and we haven’t done that. I think they’ve done a good job.

“It’s here. It’s a reality. If kids in Alabama aren’t able to profit off their name, image and likeness like they are at some other schools, it’s going to hurt us in recruiting and everything. That’s just the fact of the matter.”

Do you feel like Saban rant was personal...
Yes, in the sense it's a subject he's passionate about. No, in the sense I don't see it as something that would keep him from hiring Jimbo as an analyst or assistant.

Now I have not taken the time to read all of the ends and outs of the name image likeness rule, but as I understand it even if Jackson state, Texas A&M, and any other school is paying players using name image likeness it’s legal.

I am not necessarily a big Jimbo fisher fan stemming back to his days at Florida State and the way the entire Winston scandal played out but if I am Jimbo I would just double down on the whole damn thing and say yes we paid them, it’s legal, and we are going to keep doing it. Most recruits are coming out of poor families, with poor neighborhoods, insert anything with the word poor, so clearly the money is going to bring them to the school.

Coach Saban would not have made the comment without some reason behind it, we just may never know what the reason is. All that being said, welcome to the new college football
Depends on timing according to Texas law (which overrides the NCAA guidelines). Schools can't pay players with an NIL but they can have an office to help enrolled players get NIL contracts and stay within the rules (they actually almost must to stay within the law). The NIL also can't be conditional on going to a certain school and can't be given (or even negotiated) prior to signing with a school.

The NIL also can't be conditional on going to a certain school and can't be given (or even negotiated) prior to signing with a school.
That's the biggest point; one a lot seem to be missing.

The staff has had players tell them what other schools were offering with NIL money. A&M players, from this last class did in several cases. Assistants from A&M have been overheard mentioning "the deal" to recruits before signing day.

With a couple of hours to kill I'm wondering if I should delve off into the world of opinions. I know there are some pieces written that'll be entertain and drive me mad.

That's the biggest point; one a lot seem to be missing.

The staff has had players tell them what other schools were offering with NIL money. A&M players, from this last class did in several cases. Assistants from A&M have been overheard mentioning "the deal" to recruits before signing day.

With a couple of hours to kill I'm wondering if I should delve off into the world of opinions. I know there are some pieces written that'll be entertain and drive me mad.
Funny thing on this is that I find absolutely no penalties for violating the Texas law. No teeth at all, but it could allow the NCAA to hit harder if they find something that violates the NCAA Guidelines and the Texas law. I expect they won't though. They'll just use it to adjust the guidelines. BUt it might make for calls on Congress to do something a lot louder.

Funny thing on this is that I find absolutely no penalties for violating the Texas law. No teeth at all, but it could allow the NCAA to hit harder if they find something that violates the NCAA Guidelines and the Texas law. I expect they won't though. They'll just use it to adjust the guidelines. BUt it might make for calls on Congress to do something a lot louder.
NIL laws are per state. NCAA laws aren't.

Using money to entice recruits to sign is the violation.

I agree that CNS says this for a reason. IMO he just fired a warning shot to Jimbo, Prime, and others. Remember when he first got to Alabama? He had big old 300 lb. O lineman that could pancake defenses and he had big old D lineman that could stop the run. Remember him complaining about the no huddle…hurry up O’s? What did he do? He adapted. He got big old 300lb. O lineman that could pancake D’s plus they got fast. He had big old D lineman that could not only stop the run but got fast. Remember him complaining about the transfer portal? Look he adapted. He used it to his advantage. Now back to the warning shot and IMO. He’s just letting Jimbo, Prime, and others know that he can and will adapt. CNS will use the NIL to Alabama’s advantage and benefit.
His shot could also be to the boosters to step up. Unfortunately I am not sure Bama will be able to win in this race because Tx people have deep pockets and there are a lot of them.

What the NCAA does? 🤷‍♂️

New rules though? Why? In this case, it's money being used to entice recruits. That's been against guidelines for decades. A&M assistants were offering NIL deals to players while they were recruiting them.
Yeah this was what was comical about Fisher implying someone should look into how Saban does things and that he/Fisher does not cheat or lie. He did all of that with a straight face.

Yeah this was what was comical about Fisher implying someone should look into how Saban does things and that he/Fisher does not cheat or lie. He did all of that with a straight face.
He also said Texas A&M did not violate state law. In other words, they paid them but not in $100 bills. He could be a politician.

Saw some dweebs just out of college on Shark Tank last night. They were a company that were facilitators between HS and any college (their goal) already had numerous agreements and even sold former athlete’s game worn attire for the athletes. After watching them get dumb and not taking Cuban and Kevin Hart’s offer I got to thinking that all it will take is one friendly state environment (think Nevada, Delaware) to allow front companies to take booster money and handle all of the dirty work.

Back
Top Bottom