| FTBL How loud will Jimbo squeal over Saban’s latest NIL comments?

I hope that’s true … but I think it’s different this time. Saban or more importantly Bama doesn’t have billionaire boosters like Texas, A$M, USC, Oregon and several other schools have … or at least none I know about. So, I really think Saban sees a problem looming for his program and for many, many others as well. The state of Alabama has the best high school recruiting class coming up in sometime. Yet, some recruiting “experts” are predicting Bama might only lock up 3 of the top 8 because of NIL. Saban knows Bama boosters can’t go dollar for dollar against the A$M’s and Texas’s of college football (both of which will be in his division) and he knows and has proven players win championships. So, I don’t think this is like the other issues he complained about then exploited. I think he really meant for his speech to wake up coaches at other programs, legislators around the nation, university Presidents that aren’t in Texas or on the West Coast and the fans who don’t yet see the dangers of NIL. Is that self serving on his part? You bet … but he’s paid to follow the rules and always keep Bama in the championship hunt. The NIL has very few enforceable rules … and more loopholes than a 50 year old fish net. Left as it is, the college football we knew and loved will not be recognizable in a few short years.
Pretty sure it doesn't require billionaires. For example, for a guy worth, say, $300 million, a $1 million "sponsorship" is about the same as $333.00 for a guy worth $100,000 - not exactly breaking the bank. And don't you think corporations get involved? I don't think a lack of money is a problem for Alabama, or Auburn for that matter. It probably is for other schools.

Yes Alabama has plenty. Not even in the same ball park as Tex and Tex a&m though.

Right, and I agree with that. Billionaires can't buy a National Championship though. Alabama has enough money to get the talent and then the coach to pull it off. You still have to play the game, train the kids, and extract and increase that talent. That's where coaching comes in and I don't think Jimbo is near Saban when it comes to extracting talent. He made me laugh saying he was learning from Bobby Bowden and doing it the right way, when Bowden was known for running a shoddy program that fielded the Free Shoes University moniker, and then Jimbo's own quarterback was popped for receiving impermissible benefits. Do we honestly believe that was Winston's only time getting something for free? Ha Ha, sure, Jimbo. Not to mention how he "ethically" ran that program into the ground and quit on it. Yeah, Jimbo is the posterchild for ethics and morality.

Pretty sure it doesn't require billionaires. For example, for a guy worth, say, $300 million, a $1 million "sponsorship" is about the same as $333.00 for a guy worth $100,000 - not exactly breaking the bank. And don't you think corporations get involved? I don't think a lack of money is a problem for Alabama, or Auburn for that matter. It probably is for other schools.
Again, I hope you and others are right but I’m not so sure based upon how Saban went about making this a huge story. So, I ask … if money isn’t a long term problem for Bama, why do you think Saban uncharacteristically put his neck way out on the chopping block? I mean if he’s not truly concerned then he should have remained silent. Instead, he deliberately and specifically went after Slimebo and A&M’s recruiting class. He very rarely says something that hasn’t been thought through long before he says it.

True but I do not think we have as many. May be just a perception but probably not. Just pulling it out of my backside but they may have 10 billionaire boosters to our 1. Whatever the number is Tx schools have more so who wins in that race? I believe Saban sees this and is trying to wake up the booster base but that is for some short term damage control while the work gets done to put some guard rails around NIL for the long term. I believe this is indeed threatening CNS's core differentiator that has served him well which is recruiting. His sales pitch has always been come to bama and you will win championships and create value for your self for the NFL. All are more true at Bama than other places before NIL. That will not be the case if he cannot keep getting more of them at Bama due to NIL. It is a real threat in my opinion that he can't do anything about in the coaching rooms, on the field or on the recruiting trail. He couldn't ignore it...
I agree … this wasn’t a spur of the moment hot mic incident. It was deliberate and pointed. Saban knows having Texas and A$M in Bama’s division with an unregulated and unrestricted NIL will be a big deal. And if he wasn’t really concerned he wouldn’t have made it a big deal.

Right, and I agree with that. Billionaires can't buy a National Championship though. Alabama has enough money to get the talent and then the coach to pull it off. You still have to play the game, train the kids, and extract and increase that talent. That's where coaching comes in and I don't think Jimbo is near Saban when it comes to extracting talent. He made me laugh saying he was learning from Bobby Bowden and doing it the right way, when Bowden was known for running a shoddy program that fielded the Free Shoes University moniker, and then Jimbo's own quarterback was popped for receiving impermissible benefits. Do we honestly believe that was Winston's only time getting something for free? Ha Ha, sure, Jimbo. Not to mention how he "ethically" ran that program into the ground and quit on it. Yeah, Jimbo is the posterchild for ethics and morality.
Having the best players to begin with is a key component to the process. Saban saw the problem in bright flashing colors with the 2022 class A$M signed. They rarely have been in the top 5 in recruiting rankings yet as soon as the NIL’s in place, they not only sign the top class, they shatter the record by a substantial amount. A record it took Saban 14 years to set.

Again, I hope you and others are right but I’m not so sure based upon how Saban went about making this a huge story. So, I ask … if money isn’t a long term problem for Bama, why do you think Saban uncharacteristically put his neck way out on the chopping block? I mean if he’s not truly concerned then he should have remained silent. Instead, he deliberately and specifically went after Slimebo and A&M’s recruiting class. He very rarely says something that hasn’t been thought through long before he says it.
Isn't it possible that Saban is vocal about it for ethical and moral reasons? Maybe he really cares that much about the game he loves and his players.

The powers at be in College football are ruining the game because of Saban's 15 years of domination. In every turn they have made to stop us they have only hurt themselves and the game.

• First it was Saban is out working everyone - so let's limit the amount of times coaches can see players to "level the playing field"
  • then reduce the amount the periods of time when they can contact players
  • then they started saying no more than 25 player per year
  • then they started reducing grey shirts and blue shirts
  • then they stopped waiting for the sticks to be set, no subs if offense doesn't sub and players down field- (Saban's Kryptonite) Saban asks if that is what they want football to be.. adjusts and now has the most explosive offense in football
  • then it was the BCS wasn't fair and we need a playoff to be fair- Saban says that just gives hm a better chance to get in every year-- TRUTH
  • Then Georgia recruits player from Bamas roster and he plays the same year. Saban complains. NCAA makes it legal to transfer wherever players want. Saban warns them it will be free agency and that this will help Bama more than hurt them.. Truth!
  • NIL deal Saban says that he has always believed that the players should receive more money because its hard to have jobs or make money like a regular student. Recommends larger stipends and says he likes the idea of NIL. Teams because their is very little guidelines or enforcement take advantage of the rule and buys a recruiting class. Laughs and lashes out at Saban, Kiffin and Kirby. Saban puts out warning about what's going on because if it isn't stopped it will ruin the game, hurt the players and let's face it make the domination even worse. Bama has a ton of football crazy boosters who will help with whatever is needed. ( look at coaches salaries, facilities, student centers and how much money our team makes annually) This path much like the others won't end well for those who are pushing it.

A&M magically went from consistently getting 1 or two 5 stars and then 22 players who were the 3rd or 4th best at their position in Texas to number 1 in recruiting with no coaching change, no facility change, no scheme change just all of a sudden they get 8 5 stars. Many of which went back to the other schools recruiting and told them what the Aggies were offering..lol Ok Jimbo I am sure it's all on the up and up.. its just a bunch of coincidence..

Did anyone else find the comments by Roy Johnson to be as ridiculous as I did? Making Saban’s statements on NIL as they related to JS about race boggles the mind. Of course, once Deon made it about race, many members of the lamestream media jumped on board. The fact blacks dominate college football is never mentioned. Yet, we’re supposed to give historical black colleges a free pass on NIL because those colleges, their teams, their coaches and their fans are almost exclusively comprised of blacks? Can anyone imagine what the reaction wI’m ould be if a white college coach used the phrase “our people” like Deon did? The hypocrisy and double standards in today’s racial climate overwhelm any hope of intellectually honest discussions. One thing is certain though … Saban’s not a racist … period. And what he said about JS had ZERO to do with race!

Back
Top Bottom