| FTBL How do y'all feel about the new staff (so far)?

How y'all feeling about the staff for this upcoming season?

• Very Confident.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Confident.

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Meh.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Not confident.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Personally, I like the hires so far. Curious to see how Bala works out as ILB coach, thought he was the ILB at liberty when I watched film on them, was excited when I watched it, now I don't know since he in fact, did not coach the position group last season. I believe he was going to be promoted as the DC before he took the Bama job(haven't looked too deep into it), so that's a good sign. Steele is a proven, and seasoned defensive coach. Love that we got Strong to come back as an analyst as well. Hopeful for the upcoming season, and can't wait for spring to start.

Right now, I'm in the meh category. I won't have an opinion until I see the results at the end of the season. From what I've read, I believe I'll like Rees' game plans fine. I'm not convinced there will be much difference with the defense.

Overall, pretty confident. Defensive hires were decent but not eye-dropping. Would've liked it better if Austin Armstrong stayed, but oh well. Kinda iffy on Bala because he was ultimately a Plan B type of hire, and unlike Steele (who was also a Plan B IMO) he does not have a proven track record that makes me think "Oh yeah, he should totally be solid". I really like the OC hire because it signifies that Alabama is going back to a more physically dominating approach. Having longer drives will help keep the defense off the field more, and thus keep them more rested.

The only concerns I have is that for the first time in quite awhile, I'm concerned about the QB position. How our OC can play to the strengths of whomever wins the position will be vital.
My concern is more with the defense. Saban insists on running his system.
The game has changed a lot since he started at Bama.. . . Most of the trends in college football have been skewed to areas where Saban's D has had trouble in the past . . . Golding was supposed to be a wunderkind who only needed some refinement to become a very good DC.

All of those added up make me question how successful the defense will be going forward. I don't know if the D will be good or bad, just saying I don't know, and I'm not confident.

The game has changed a lot since he started at Bama.. . . Most of the trends in college football have been skewed to areas where Saban's D has had trouble in the past . . . Golding was supposed to be a wunderkind who only needed some refinement to become a very good DC.

All of those added up make me question how successful the defense will be going forward. I don't know if the D will be good or bad, just saying I don't know, and I'm not confident.
A lot of foundational similarities to Smart's defense and UGA and Bama. Smart learned it from CNS. So what is the difference? Talent or those coaching them up, game planning and in game calls? I do not think it is talent so that leaves the other two. Is Steele the answer? I think it will be a good change in the end.

A lot of foundational similarities to Smart's defense and UGA and Bama. Smart learned it from CNS. So what is the difference? Talent or those coaching them up, game planning and in game calls? I do not think it is talent so that leaves the other two. Is Steele the answer? I think it will be a good change in the end.
Steele will ne an improvement

Nick Saban- HC ( I'm okay with him for now. He could be on hot seat after this year.)
Kevin Steele- DC ( I'm okay with this. He will get the defense as a whole to improve with their tackling and play calling.)
Tommy Rees- OC/QB ( This is intriguing hire. WE know what he did with ND with several QBs. can he replicate the same effort with our qbs?)
Holmon Wiggins- AHCO/WR - This is make and break year for him. He has to show he can develop WR.. We will see if It's BOB or Wiggins.
Coleman Hutzler- OLB- We'll see if it was Golding or Hutzler. I think he was limited in what he could do with OLBs.
Joe Cox- TE ( I'm not sure about him, We'll know more about him this fall.)
Robert Gillespie- RB ( He could be on hot seat with Saban)
Freddie Roach- DL ( Out of everyone, I thought he was gone this past season. DL line was underwhelming. Hope he get better.)
Travaris Robinson- CB (CB didn't do bad job last year, and etc, but We gotta do something about PI calls. )
Eric Wolford - OL ( He could be on hot seat with Gillespie and Saban)
Robert Bala -ILB ( I don't think he was plan b... He's one of the coaches that's up and coming. He'll do well with Hutzler. )

Side note: If Sal Sunseri is gone... Who becomes special assistant to the HC? Dooley? one of the analysts hired recently? Pruitt?

Georgia has same defense. They won two championships. It's more of fundamental issues than the scheme overall. we'll be fine.

I agree that it would take more than that to put him on the hot seat. That being said, I also don't agree with those who say he can hang around as long as he wants. If Byrne sees the program slipping, he has to make a change.

I would like to believe Saban is self aware enough to avoid that situation, but after last year, I'm not so sure.
You gotta be wearing outta space clothes...
AD aint gonna never ever question nick......
Period
For what he has done....nick has it for lifetime

what.gif

AD aint gonna never ever question nick......
Period
For what he has done....nick has it for lifetime
I'm not saying he will. I'm saying he should. It's his job.

Job for a lifetime for Nick? Sure, but not necessarily head football coach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom