| FTBL HC Kalen DeBoer about the problems with the in-helmet communication at the beginning of the game

Let's say your home Internet goes out right now and you need to get online. What do you do?
Reboot my modem/router :) In the meantime, I use my phone.

Let's say your electricity goes out and you need to get online. What do you do?
Wait for the generator to kick on (about 3-5 seconds) :cool: And then wait for the modem/router to restart. And again, in the meantime, use my phone.

In my opinion, they were prepared for something like this. But, you never can really tell where it's going to come from...or, what's going to "break down."

In a sense, it's a lot like integrating this live chat option on game days...I know it's going to change a few things, I know it'll create a hiccup, but I can't tell you where or from whom.
But you're correct. You just never know. You can try to plan for it. And you can have contingencies and practice for it. But when it happens, it's unexpected and you find yourself scrambling. But I think they did a decent job of handling it. And like he said, the play caller had to come down from the booth to be on the sideline. That's a bit of a walk so it takes some time.

In one of CKD's interviews, he was questioned about comms between coaches and players and if he had plans if for some reason the system failed. They do have plans if that happens. Comms between the booth and sideline failures means the coaches have to come to the sidelines so they can call the plays. Refs will not start or resume game until coaches are in position to do their job of calling plays. IMO

But you're correct. You just never know. You can try to plan for it. And you can have contingencies and practice for it. But when it happens, it's unexpected and you find yourself scrambling. But I think they did a decent job of handling it. And like he said, the play caller had to come down from the booth to be on the sideline. That's a bit of a walk so it takes some time.
A few years ago there was something like this that happened in one of the Bama games. I can't remember the game, or the location, but I do remember the story about coaches getting stuck in the elevator during the game.

Bama sent guys over to the WK sideline and they were working on their telecom box for a while during the 1st quarter. Not sure if they got it working or not, but saw them eventually walk back over to the home sideline.
On one camera shot, I saw the license agreement on WKU's communication equipment screen. Whether to accept the license agreement, as a IT guy, I would assume WKU did not fully setup their equipment. I could be just blowing smoke...!

On one camera shot, I saw the license agreement on WKU's communication equipment screen. Whether to accept the license agreement, as a IT guy, I would assume WKU did not fully setup their equipment. I could be just blowing smoke...!
You are not wrong here. I've thought about mentioning this...but thought twice.

Possibly. They had their comms in a nice fancy box, but maybe they had not set it all up prior to the game/season starting.

Back
Top Bottom