Hard to beat a grilled steak...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
But one cooked on high heat and finished off in the oven in a cast iron skillet is damn good too. Been cooking them this way for a couple years now when I want to change up from a grilled one. Highly suggest you try it as well if you've never done so...

Different methods to doing it. The method I use is very close to how Alton Brown does it... Works good with ribeye, NY strip, and tenderloin filets... I'll normally let the steak(s) sit out for about 60-90 mins. Then I'll rub them with olive or canola oil. Add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, then let them sit for about 5 mins.

I'll normally crank the oven to about 550° and let the skillet preheat in it. Turn your stove top burner to high. After the oven reaches temp, take the skillet out and let it sit on the burner for a couple mins. Throw the steak(s) on then flip after 45 seconds. Flip again after another 45 seconds, and immediately put them in the oven. Wait 2 mins and flip them again, wait 2 more mins and remove to a plate, cover with foil and rest them for a few mins, then enjoy...

You can alter the temps and times however you want. Also, might alter them some depending on how you want your steak cooked, how think it is, etc. The method above, cooked the pictured steak medium (it was about an 1" thick). Would have normally gone for medium rare, but my wife wanted them done more...

NY strip pictured with the Crash Hot Potatoes that planomateo posted a while back (make them a lot too, love them)...

IMG_3201-2.JPG

This is the Lodge Cast Iron skillet I like to use with the steaks...
skillet.jpg

Last edited:
My new favorite is the reverse sear. An oven/pan seared option is at this site Reverse-Seared Steaks Recipe - Food.com but I've had NY strips a couple of times using a smoker. Let the steak reach room temperature, salt and pepper, place on the cooking grate of the smoker until the steak hits 105-110 or so. Next, open the vents to let the coals roar, set everything aside but the charcoal bowl and place the cooking grate right over the coals and sear each side for about minute or so. Just outstanding. Smoky flavor, medium rare, so juicy.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom