| FTBL Great article regarding Johnson/GaTech

Good read. Thanks for the link.

I am one of the few who thinks that option based offense can still win. The most important ingredient is a quarterback with quick hands, quick feet and a quick mind.

some remarkable tibdits from the article:

Despite running 86 percent of the time last season, Navy had 13 scoring drives that lasted a minute or less. That is total for the third most in the country. It had 16 scoring plays that went at least 25 yards. Only Florida has a longer current scoring streak of at least 30 points (seven games) than Navy (six).

sometimes i wish we would have lured him to tuscaloosa. watching the Crimson and White march down the field by means of the triple option would have given the TideNation a collective orgasm!

I'm with joe on this. I'm one that believes the option can still work. The worst draw back I see, is that not only do you have to have a QB that has quick hands, feet, and mind (mind being the most important in the option imo), you also have to have a back-up QB with the same qualtities that is almost as good if not as good as your starter. This is caused by the fact that with this offense, your starter is more than likely going to miss some time.

Bama Bo said:
I'm with joe on this. I'm one that believes the option can still work. The worst draw back I see, is that not only do you have to have a QB that has quick hands, feet, and mind (mind being the most important in the option imo), you also have to have a back-up QB with the same qualtities that is almost as good if not as good as your starter. This is caused by the fact that with this offense, your starter is more than likely going to miss some time.

If you looked back at Coach Bryant's wishbone teams you'd find that he always played at least two quarterbacks. I remember hearing him say words to the effect that you wer never more than one play away from your second string quarterback being your starter. Of course he did that a good bit in the days before the wishbone as well.

psychojoe said:
Good read. Thanks for the link.

I am one of the few who thinks that option based offense can still win. The most important ingredient is a quarterback with quick hands, quick feet and a quick mind.

One of the people who has watched their spring practices said they struggling right now, which is very understandable considering the lack of players that fit PJ's style. I fully expect them to be a handful when we meet in a few years.

If there is one thing I feel very confident in saying it's that he can find QB's in the SE that fit his system. Just as an example, can you imagine what a player like Pat Smith could do in this system?

Bama Bo said:

Correct. Just ask Air Force after their bowl game with Cal. :(

I am of the opinion that the triple option is:

1. A great equalizer if you do not match up because it shortens the game.

2. Good when playing against undisciplined teams or teams who are overlooking you.

I am also of the opinion that:

1. The Triple option cannot work in a major conference for a number of reasons...you will not sneak up on anyone.

2. You almost always lose to better teams.

3. Because you shorten the game, mistakes are amplified and teams like Delaware can beat Navy two out of 3 years.

Paul Johnson is a good guy but in 5 years Ga. Tech will be conducting another coaching search. His only saving grace is that FSU and Miami have both been weak lately. Still I doubt they will finish better than 3rd or 4th in the conference during his tenure. They open the season next year against Jacksonville State. The Marching Southerners will be so much better than the Yellowjacket band that it will be embarrassing and the football game will be interesting to see. JSU should have fired Crowe last year but even as mediocre as he is JSU will be closer in this game than they should be. I expect Tech to have 7 to 9 losses next season.

Big_Fan is right on his points.

Further, Johnson citing the days of Bama and the Wish Bone is a weak example. I would offer that parity via scholarship limitations has been a more likely cause of Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama not continuing their dominance that the fact that we don't run 86% of the time.

Only Johnson, and perhaps Air Force, run 86% of the time. Teams pass for a reason, and it ain't because every college coach in the country (save two) is too stupid to know that the run in the answer.

Oh yeah Coach Johnson. Oklahoma's NC was won with a QB who slung the ball around more that 14% of the time.

LBS said:
Further, Johnson citing the days of Bama and the Wish Bone is a weak example. I would offer that parity via scholarship limitations has been a more likely cause of Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama not continuing their dominance that the fact that we don't run 86% of the time.

Only Johnson, and perhaps Air Force, run 86% of the time. Teams pass for a reason, and it ain't because every college coach in the country (save two) is too stupid to know that the run in the answer.

Oh yeah Coach Johnson. Oklahoma's NC was won with a QB who slung the ball around more that 14% of the time.

johnson isn't arguing that a departure from the option is what caused the decline of some traditional powers, nor is he arguing that his offense is superior to all other offenses. instead he's only attempting to legitimize his offense in the face of criticism.

i'll admit, i was one of many people who confidently believed that Meyer's offense wouldn't work in a BCS conference, much less the SEC. after the success of UF, WVU, Navy, and the proliferation of various aspects of the spread option, i will admit that i was wrong.

musso said:
i'll admit, i was one of many people who confidently believed that Meyer's offense wouldn't work in a BCS conference, much less the SEC. after the success of UF, WVU, Navy, and the proliferation of various aspects of the spread option, i will admit that i was wrong.

Johnson does not run the spread option. Florida ran for 2600 yards and passed for 3300 last season. In 2006 they ran for around 2300 and passed for 3300...and Ga Tech will never sign a Tebow.

It Takes Eleven said:
Good thread. I'm late getting in, but I remember one of the biggest killers of the triple option was the backside DT and/or DE who could run down the QB from behind after the mesh with the FB.

RTR,

Tim

And a funny thing...one thing that lower tier teams lack is linemen who are big as horses and just as fast. That is one reason that the Navy offense is effective against teams like the service academies, Duke, and North Texas, and not so good against Rutgers.

I wonder about his defensive schemes as well. I can understand getting whomped by a solid Rutgers team, but giving up 59 to Delaware, 43 to Duke, and 62 to North Texas, is not so good. His record at Navy was good, but I think it is misleading. Navy played a really (incredibly) weak schedule. 8-5 does not look so good when you consider two of the losses were to Ball State and Delaware.

Johnson's Navy teams won MOST of the games that they should have won...and very few that they should have lost. I think the trend will continue at Tech, but the number of should-lose games will increase.

Ball St was a bowl team. Delware was in the national title game and they had an NFL caliber Qb.

Navy isnt supposed to beat anybody. He beat a ton of teams he wasnt supposed to including Notre Dame at South Bend.
He won a bowl game (lost close in at least 2 more)

Hes talented guy that had great success at Navy

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Ball St was a bowl team. Delware was in the national title game and they had an NFL caliber Qb.

Navy isnt supposed to beat anybody. He beat a ton of teams he wasnt supposed to including Notre Dame at South Bend.
He won a bowl game (lost close in at least 2 more)

Hes talented guy that had great success at Navy

Ball State was a 7 win MAC team that did not even win their conference. Their bowl was the "international bowl" and they had 52 dropped on them by Rutgers. They lost to Central Michigan 58-38, and pretty much sucked.

Delaware is D1AA and has 65 scholarships. They lost 3 regular season games to 1AA opposition and were lucky to be in the playoffs - they didn't even win their division, much less their conference. Had they been in the Southland Football League or the Ohio Valley, they would have been home for the holidays. 3 conference losses should not get you in the playoffs.

The idea that just because Navy is a service academy they should not win football games is really funny. I seem to remember having to come from behind to beat Army in the Sun Bowl and Fisher Deberry has won a lot of games at USAF even though they are not afraid to be in a conference. NAVY plays a weaker schedule than either of the other service academies. USAF won 9 games last year even though they played Utah, TCU, BYU, Colorado State, and Cal in addition to Notre Dame. If they played the little sisters of the poor like Navy, they would have gone undefeated. Navy beat them last year, but the schedule had a lot to do with it. USAF had played Utah, TCU, and BYU back to back to back. Navy had played Ball State and Duke.

Honestly...he has a good track record at lower divisions, but he was the OC on a hawaii team that stank up the field and the staff was fired. He has no track record at a major program, and his first recruiting class may be evidence of things to come...I am thankful for the receiver who decommitted from them and signed with us...he will contribute.

Johnson might have success at Tech, but I really doubt he will.

He kicked around that Air Force team your propping up 5 (yes 5) years in row :roll:

You lost any credibility when you said Air Force would have gone undefeated with Navys scheldule. (yet Navy beat them) :lol:

Wanna compare Ball St and La Monroe? International bowl= Independence Bowl

and Delaware clearly showed they didnt belong in the playoffs as you suggested. :shock: GOing on the road in back to back weeks defeating the #1 and #4 seeds :wink: to reach the title game.

and one more thing its the SOUTHERN CONFERENCE you are looking for not the Southland :wink:

Delaware would have loved to have played in the OVC or Southland as you suggested :wink:

Lenny Kozlowski said:
You lost any credibility when you said Air Force would have gone undefeated with Navys scheldule. (yet Navy beat them) :lol:

He said this himself...

Big_Fan said:
Navy beat them last year, but the schedule had a lot to do with it.

This shows that comparing a AF loss to Navy was like comparing apples to oranges. Schedule schedule schedule...

Back
Top Bottom