| FTBL Grant????

c5vetman

sorry if someone else has posted this (this week, again) but I didn't see one already.

For the ????th time, Grant goes MIA in the middle of a game. What is up with that? I know Saban likes to rotate backs, but I'd rather see him rotate on possesions, not on halves... Is he back in the doghouse again?

It looked, to me, that he was gettin shut down on a regular basis. So, they started going to Coffee for the run, and were just plain throwing more often than not, which seemed to be working better.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
I keep thinking Grant must be in the doghouse again too. :?

I'm with Lenny.....I think at times he looks timid and doesn't hit the hole the way coaches think he should. Have nothing, but my two eyes to go on, but that is what it looked like from section C row 44 seat 19.

The running game was getting stuffed. It seemed like we were getting little impatient with the run(not running much) but when you are on your heels, you have to pass more than you want to. Applewhite knows we have big strike capability and obviously has confidence in JP.

I still love the aggressive play calling and maybe they'll get Javier in for an end around or a statue of liberty. Sounds good huh

Bamatilldeath said:
The running game was getting stuffed. It seemed like we were getting little impatient with the run(not running much) but when you are on your heels, you have to pass more than you want to. Applewhite knows we have big strike capability and obviously has confidence in JP.

I still love the aggressive play calling and maybe they'll get Javier in for an end around or a statue of liberty. Sounds good huh

In order to have big stike capabilities you have to have a QB that doesnt under throw the ball every throw.

hell everybody is saying he over throws everytime :?

Our best play is still heave it to DJ (underthrown) and let him go up and get it

Under throwing a ball on purpose (ie. DB not looking) is one thing and an inacurate under thrown ball is another. We seem to be more of the later not the former in recent games.

Bamatilldeath said:
Under throwing a ball on purpose (ie. DB not looking) is one thing and an inacurate under thrown ball is another. We seem to be more of the later not the former in recent games.
yes, when the ball hits the ground 2 yards before it gets to the receiver, and 6 yards away from the QB.. its underthrown :)

Nate said:
I was surprised we didn't see Arenas in on Offense for just one play.
I agree, when your passing game is not working..try something else. I guess Saban is keeping him on the sidelines until the big games...LSU,Tenn,BARN

i like they way saban is rotating with the backs we have grant,johns,upchurch,coffee...thats a great way to keep the defense guessing,keep a fresh set of legs in on a regular basis...but with all hands down...grant is our most lethal back.

Grant had the speed to get to the outside, and I think we should've tried that tall sweep play a few more times with him. I agree we were getting stuffed up the middle, but with Grant's speed, we should have been running outside of the tackles more. It just seemed like he would have a couple good runs, and then he disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we swap out backs, but seems like we use one a few plays, then on to another one, but don't go back to the first one again.

Also, those 3 and outs have got to stop! Our defense is thin enough without having to play for 32 minutes by the end of the 3rd quarter like Saturday night!

CrimsonPirate said:
Did anyone ever find out about Jimmy Johns? You want a big back that runs hard . . . there he is. Did he play at all? Is he hurt?

he played but didn't get a carry. he was on tailback on the goaline TD run by JP and he played kickoff coverage. but yea i'd love to see him get more touches.

lil more info on Jimmy Johns from Saban's press conference...

On whether or not Jimmy Johns is still in the running-plan mix:

“Jimmy is doing a good job on special teams. Sometimes guys struggle a little bit. There’s a lot of good competition. We’re trying to get Jimmy to develop a role in our offense. We moved him to fullback. We moved him back to tailback; we work him at fullback. We play him on all the special teams. And as these other guys have emerged a little bit, I think it’s affected Jimmy’s role. But we need for Jimmy to have a role. He’s a good football player. We want him to have a role. He has to do his part in getting ready to fulfill that role and we have to do a good job as coaches in figuring out what that is and how he can be effective in helping us.”

Back
Top Bottom