| NEWS Getting it Right on the Road - AFCA Insider

B

Bama News

Taking more than 150 people on the road across the country to play a college football game is not an easy task. But with the right amount of preparation and organization, the process can 
be made much easier. I have been working with the football program at Stanford University since 2000. During this time, I have had the pleasure to work under numerous head coaches, athletic directors, assistant coaches and support staff. I have seen firsthand what works and what does not.

If I were asked about the most important components of “team travel,” I would narrow it down to four important points:

1. Produce and distribute a travel manual.
  2. Always send out advance personnel.
  3. Be very specific with your meal specifications.
  4. Understand there is never a “right” or “wrong” way to do it.
TRAVEL MANUAL
I have found that the single most important thing a football ops director can do is create a detailed travel manual that clearly defines the needs and expectations of your team. This manual should be provided to everybody involved with the trip: coaches, football staff, athletic staff, donors, alumni, hotel personnel, bus drivers, charter coordinators, coaches’ wives, and just about any other person that is directly or indirectly involved in the operation.

The manual should contain detailed itineraries, travel policies, bus and charter requirements, meal specifications, meeting room set-ups, check-in procedures, and contact information.

The goal is simple. You want to make sure everybody involved has clear knowledge of what your travel policies will be. To get an idea of what items it contains, see the Travel Manual Table of Contents.

ADVANCE PERSONNEL
If you have the means to send out advanced personnel prior to the team’s arrival, I highly recommend it. In my case, I have been to every opponent’s city multiple times, so I have 
a pretty solid level of comfort with the hotels, airports and stadiums. We still utilize an advance person because it is always important to have a “man on the ground” before the team arrives.

Another critical form of advance travel occurs when we add a new non-conference opponent (for example, Duke in 2011), when we decide to switch team hotels in a familiar city (for example, Notre Dame in 2008), or when a hotel or stadium undergoes a remodel (for example, Oregon in 2003 and Seattle in 2006).

In a case like this, it is important to make the trip out
 to these locations no later than the early Spring prior to 
the season. I use these trips to select hotels and meet with 
the home team stadium personnel and home team game operations staff. For more specific details about advance travel, see the Advanced Checklist.

MEAL SPECIFICATIONS
Along with our strength and conditioning coaches, we work with the hotel catering staff to ensure that our meals are prepared with precise specifications. With the exception of milk shakes and cookies on Friday night or the occasional snack of fried chicken strips when we travel two days ahead, most of our meals have very strict dietary requirements.

First and foremost, our dietary priorities are low-fat, high-carbohydrate, moderate protein and high-fluid intake. As an example, our pre-game meal contains six types of pasta and four types of chicken, a salad bar that contains just about every item conceivable and a deli sandwich spread that allows the players to make a sandwich now or prepare one for pre-game or halftime.

We always have at least six beverage options pre-set on every table (orange juice, apple juice, lemonade, grape juice, water and milk) plus multiple tubs of bottled water and Gatorade situated throughout the meal room. Hotel catering staffs are used to doing just about everything, so try and be as precise as possible. Here’s an example of our specific meal requirements for a pre-game meal.

NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY
Like any team, our main goal is to maximize our level of focus, ensure the health of our players and limit the amount
 of stress and distractions for our travel group. Every team is different, and by no means are these considered the perfect way to travel.

Here are a few things we have done in the past that might be worth adopting with your program:

Security Screening: We always do our security screening at the executive terminal of the San Jose Airport. The screening staff is consistent; there is always a good back-up plan in 
the event of rain and on that side of the airport, we rarely 
deal with any delays. I know some folks prefer the screening process to take place at their football facility. Because of our layout, this option does not work for us, but we have looked into it on several occasions. Consult your charter coordinator, your TSA rep or the company that handles your screening and see if this is an option for you. If it can be done this way, it will save you a lot of time.

Team Activities: Don’t be afraid to take your team to a movie on Friday night or bowling on game day. Movies are a great way to get the players out in the community and to bond as a team. It also allows the players to get their minds away from the game for a couple of hours. If you are playing a home night game and school is not yet in session, have your team take part in a light, non-football activity like bowling or wiffle ball. We started doing it a few years ago and it helps eliminate the boredom of sitting around the hotel all day.

Travel Itinerary: I have included an example itinerary. In 2005-2006, we always ate our Friday night dinner at the same hotels, home or away. The reasoning was that our players and coaches would eat our same Friday night dinner in a familiar atmosphere with the usual hotel staff and the usual menu. We didn’t have to worry about an inconsistent meal on the road. By the time we arrived at the visiting hotel, we had a few quick meetings, a team snack and off to bed. It was an interesting, yet sensible way to travel.

The example itinerary shows what our travel itinerary looked like for a cross-country trip, in this case, the game against Notre Dame in 2010. A few things to note:

• We conducted our normal Thursday meeting and practice schedule before departing.
  • We faced a three-hour time change in South Bend
  • We toured the College Football Hall of Fame on Friday.
The article was written by Matt Doyle, Senior Associate Athletics Director & Director Of Football Operations And Player Programs, Stanford University.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from Will Wade last week.

"Obviously, big win for us at South Carolina. We played well, but we have to turn the page quick. We have a brutal, brutal week coming up.
"We’ve got Florida, obviously, Wednesday night at 8 o’clock Central, 9 o’clock Eastern. Then, we got to turn around and play Texas A&M at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
"Florida’s playing very well and A&M’s playing very well. We’re the only team in the league that’s had this turnaround now. So, this is the second time we’ve had this, which is just not right for our players. We’ve played at Vanderbilt at 8 o’clock Central time and had to turn around and play at Auburn at 11 a.m. and now we’ve got the same thing again, which is not right.
"The only other team that’s had this in the league is Auburn and they played two home games. We’ve had three out of four road games with this same setup and it cuts our guys’ preparation time down. We talk about student-athlete welfare and all that; this is not student-athlete welfare.
"So, I’m not making excuses … I’m not a complainer, you guys know that. I don’t make excuses; we didn’t play well the first two times, we’ve got to play better this time. But we’re the only team in the league that has to do this and we’ve had to do it twice now. That’s not how it’s supposed to be. It’s supposed to be balanced, the schedule is supposed to be balanced and that’s not right.

"It’s not right for our players, either. We’re a MASH unit, we’re coming off a game Saturday where we played physical and South Carolina is physical. I mean, we should have brought our football pads. We’re coming off a physical, physical game and now we’ve got to turn around and go to Florida and play at 9 o’clock in Florida.
"We won’t be back before 2 a.m. on Thursday, we got to go to class Thursday and won’t be able to do anything Thursday. We don’t get any preparation hardly for A&M and A&M plays at 6 o’clock on Tuesday.
"So, we’ve been the beneficiary, I’m not an idiot, South Carolina had the same thing last week. They had the late game on Wednesday night at Mississippi State and they didn’t get back ’til 2 or 3 in the morning and had to turn around and play us. But at least played at 6 o’clock at night Eastern time; they didn’t have to turn around and play at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
"We’re not going to make excuses, it is what it is. But it’s not right and it needs to get fixed for our players. For our players, it needs to be fixed."
I appreciate how he mentions "the schedule is supposed to be balance" and then in another few breaths uses South Carolina as an example of a team dealing with the same schedule.

To a bigger point though.

I'd have to find the coach, team, and game from last week where something similar came up. In this case I remember it being a east coast team traveling west (across several states) and playing a game that had a 9PM tip. Weekday game, right? As they were laughing at the comments from the coach I thought his point was missed. Mid-week scheduling and weekend play ...

The travel Wade is talking about with his team? Chartered from one airport to another and then getting on a chartered bus, ya know? It made me think about UofSC's softball team who'll play a 7 PM game Wednesday night before getting on a bus and traveling to Tuscaloosa for a Friday night game (late March.) If you've seen the buses teams use at UA you'll understand it's a nice ride; but still.

(We talk of attendance...certainly wasn't a fan of late, weeknight games as a student either.)

Back
Top Bottom