Gather 'round - Serious business

You going with the new R-410Q54 freon, I guess? Get ready, you'll have to replace everything, all the lines throughout. That stuff is high pressure and not compatible with any of the R-22 systems

Yup, all the duct work and lines being replaced. House has a furnace inside and "heat pump" outside which acts as the AC. Not really sure how it works but apparently it's more complex than a regular heater and AC. Furnace was replaced in February. Wish I could've gotten them both done at the same time to switch to a simpler system.

Yup, all the duct work and lines being replaced. House has a furnace inside and "heat pump" outside which acts as the AC. Not really sure how it works but apparently it's more complex than a regular heater and AC. Furnace was replaced in February. Wish I could've gotten them both done at the same time to switch to a simpler system.

What does the duct work have to do with the freon change, or are oyu just including it in there since you've got to do a big job anyway?

You going with the new R-410Q54 freon, I guess? Get ready, you'll have to replace everything, all the lines throughout. That stuff is high pressure and not compatible with any of the R-22 systems

Yep...I learned all about this last summer. Home warranty only covered a percentage and I still had to come out of pocket about $3,000.

What does the duct work have to do with the freon change, or are oyu just including it in there since you've got to do a big job anyway?

Guess I shouldn't have said ALL the duct work. A good portion of it is going to be replaced, mainly around where the ductwork hooks up to the furnace. I may take a picture later.

Yep...I learned all about this last summer. Home warranty only covered a percentage and I still had to come out of pocket about $3,000.

Yup. I have a top diamond level (highest you can get) home warranty, still paying four figures for this shit.

I dont know whats bad, but they can replace the air handler without out replacing the whole system. The A/C guys dont like to tell you that.

I'm sure plenty of people are taking chances, but from my research, it's not worth the risk.

Im still on low pressure. I guess thats why they didnt change the lines. My a/c guys changed some kind of pressure valve in the new style air handler so it would be compatible with the compressor outside. Once the outside unit goes bad I will have to swap out the valve in the air handler so it will work with a new high pressure compressor.

What are the risk associated with keeping the old lines?

Back
Top Bottom