Furnace issues any HVAC guys on the forum?

planomateo

So one of my furnaces isn't working. The circuit board blinks 3 times which means pressure switch. I didn't have a multimeter with me, bought a replacement on eBay for $50 and got a multimeter. Anyways, replaced the pressure switch and nothing, still blinking 3 times.

The igniter light one time and the LED blinked 3 times, never got any gas to ignite, so it went back to blinking 3 times. So I thought the tube was plugged, got a paper clip and moved it around in the hole, kinda felt something. And still blinking 3 times.

I'm outta ideas.

Cycle the power on to off and let it stay off for about 3 minutes before turning it back on. That may reset the circuit board and clear the fault. You probably had the power off to replace the pressure switch so this may not help. Make sure the power is off to the circuit board. I've helped my son work on his furnace and the circuit board that controls the igniter has a separate power supply.

Fiddled around with this a bit more, I'm consistently getting the igniter to come on, but I'm not getting a flame which leads me to think the next step to send fuel isn't happening.

I'll be calling my HVAC guy tomorrow, he know's I'm a DIY guy, just not sure where to go with this. Google and youtube have been helpful, but not sure where to take it from here.

Last edited:
turns out my control board was the issue, paid $85 for the service visit. Would cost me $400 to replace the board, I'm gonna find it online and replace myself and save some money. Looks like the part is about $120.

I have two HVAC units (pretty common around here to have multiple units each driving a separate portion of the house). I looked up the part and ordered a new one on Monday, went ahead and ordered another one for my 2nd unit. Got them both in about an hour ago and replaced them. Heat is working awesome and only cost ~$250. I love learning about new stuff and saving some money while I'm fixing issues.

New parts installed, I'm holding the original board in each photo.

20151127_191508_zpsn9fyb5xi.jpg

20151127_184928_zpseaddluhg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom