| NEWS Finebaum caller: Bryce Young 'way better' than Tua Tagovailoa- 247Sports

Just my observation but Joe Nameth had godlike talent as a QB. That dude could throw the damn rock like no other. He was like a precursor to John Elway in the 1960s.

God knows how well he would've done under a coach like Tom Landry.

True...but even nfl football back then was so different....
Its more ramped up for excitement these days....more offense ....
The Jets and AFL were the new kids with more offense...the NfL was hard nose stuff....more physical....
Thats why most thought the Jets had no chance against the colts.... never be able to withstand the physical game.... and probably wouldn’t have without joe....
He really just changed the game...and the next year when KC beat the big bad Vikings.

Metrics dont apply when comparing 60s QBs with present day......so please dont try.....
No matter the era of the QB, when your TD to INT ratio is as bad as cited above, it demonstrates mistakes made by the QB: mobile or passing.

In this case, it's not a matter of my trying. It's a matter of pointing to non-arguable facts. As exampled above, Namath was 24:20 in an era where there were guys putting up far, far better numbers (as also cited.)

What jdpas says here still remains true.

Joe, as much of a legacy as he has in football, isn't the passer or the quarterback we've seen with Tua. No matter what metric you use to judge the two—outside of Namath calling for a team to win the Super Bowl—Tua has proven he's a better QB. What Namath did in college is as misconstrued as some have while referring to Gary Hollingsworth's era. And, quite frankly, Namath's NFL numbers are not good.

The same applies to Stabler. Neither of these two guys hold a candle to Tua.

Geez, as just one example ...

PlayerTD'sINT's
Tua8711
Namath2420
Stabler1818

We could get into other areas like ratings, completion percentages, YPA, APC...no comparisons here.

To be fair to Joe, though, his knees were a big problem with his numbers.

To be fair to Joe, though, his knees were a big problem with his numbers.
I agree ... with the irony in your post in this thread to a greater degree.

Putting it another way, he was careless with the ball, wouldn't you agree?

There were better QB"s in college football than Joe and Stabler while they were at Bama.

There were better QB"s in college football than Joe and Stabler while they were at Bama.

I mean I can only go off the little film I've seen and what others have written/said about him lol but yes, I would. He played like he lived but I think if his knees weren't shot he would have put up a lot more numbers. Maybe not cut down on the turnovers as much, because Namath was gonna be Namath.

I think Snake's attributes had more to do with his guts, leadership and his legs than his arm.

On another note, of sorts. Over the last few months you've seen a few articles the Boy's pulled on Young and him starting next season.

As talk floats around going into Young's era there are very similar traits between him and Tua to base what some expect from him. Physically, already a better frosh than Tua.

Again he was in Bears system....run...play field position...play D..
Were there Better QBs.... The draft prettymuch said NO...
400 000$ ..QB....
I didnt see them all but Joe was the best... bad knees and all
And using ur arguement ...is Tua the best? Burrow will go before him....
Of course the injury...but...
And again...if you watched Snake or Joe ...live on field....you could see men vs boys...

I mean I can only go off the little film I've seen and what others have written/said about him lol but yes, I would. He played like he lived but I think if his knees weren't shot he would have put up a lot more numbers. Maybe not cut down on the turnovers as much, because Namath was gonna be Namath.

I think Snake's attributes had more to do with his guts, leadership and his legs than his arm.
Snake was all u say...but his arm was pretty awesome too..quick and accurate...
Some times you have to see these guys live to understand......
Like Tua...watching him live is more impressive than anything....

Again he was in Bears system....run...play field position...play D..
Were there Better QBs.... The draft prettymuch said NO...
400 000$ ..QB....
I didnt see them all but Joe was the best... bad knees and all
And using ur arguement ...is Tua the best? Burrow will go before him....
Of course the injury...but...
And again...if you watched Snake or Joe ...live on field....you could see men vs boys...

Agree. And again, I don't think its necessary to use the stats that Kenny Stabler and Joe Nameth put up in the 60s and 70s as a arguement against them. Passing for even 3,000 yards in a season in the 60s or 70s was considered god status back then, and now its considered average.

It wasn't until the 1980s did you start to see aspects of the modern offense be utilized in the game. Alot of those new strategies IMO were a result of the revolutionary 1978 NFL rule changes that started the trend of clamping down defenses.

I saw in a documentary that one of the reasons the NFL implemented such rule changes was because they were tired of having low scoring Super Bowls. To their credit it paid off as could be seen in one the great Super Bowl epics of all time in the 1978 Pittsburgh vs Dallas game (my personal favorite game of all time even though I wouldn't be born for another 15 years).

Agree. And again, I don't think its necessary to use the stats that Kenny Stabler and Joe Nameth put up in the 60s and 70s as a arguement against them. Passing for even 3,000 yards in a season in the 60s or 70s was considered god status back then, and now its considered average.

It wasn't until the 1980s did you start to see aspects of the modern offense be utilized in the game. Alot of those new strategies IMO were a result of the revolutionary 1978 NFL rule changes that started the trend of clamping down defenses.

I saw in a documentary that one of the reasons the NFL implemented such rule changes was because they were tired of having low scoring Super Bowls. To their credit it paid off as could be seen in one the great Super Bowl epics of all time in the 1978 Pittsburgh vs Dallas game (my personal favorite game of all time even though I wouldn't be born for another 15 years).
Right.... hard to compare eras...really impossible to compare eras...for all those and more reason..certainly cant use stats... well...most wouldn’t...
I was just comparing the excitement that each brought to the field...and for sure Tua, Namath, Snake brought that....i was fortunate to experience it ive..hope Young or whoever rises to stardom does that also...expect to experience it also...
And both Snake and Namath won Super Bowls... hope Tua can reach or exceed that...
Namath is a legend....50 years and he is still talked about and revered in profootball
Andhim and Snake are hall of famers.. a great level to reach..

Couldn't agree more about seeing tua live in person...way more eye opening. Got to see him vs south Carolina this past year and feel very lucky to have witnessed it. Burrow had a great year ...but there's a reason tua is viewed more favorably by nfl scouts. He makes everything look so easy when he's at his best.

Couldn't agree more about seeing tua live in person...way more eye opening. Got to see him vs south Carolina this past year and feel very lucky to have witnessed it. Burrow had a great year ...but there's a reason tua is viewed more favorably by nfl scouts. He makes everything look so easy when he's at his best.
And. Had probably the best group of receivers i have ever witnessed.
Whole team was a joy. Few breaks and things would have turned out better

Look at AJ's resume.
O good gosh....
Right.... hard to compare eras...really impossible to compare eras...for all those and more reason..certainly cant use stats... well...most wouldn’t...

Fundamentally wrong due to one specific thing in this thread/conversation.

No matter what era a player is in there are a few certain truths: turnovers are as bad today as they were back in Frank Howards day. It's one thing that will cause a team to lose. It's definitive. No matter the era turnovers haven't changed.

The point you're refusing to consider these few things mentioned as ample reason to say "there were a handful of quarterbacks better at Alabama" than those mentioned in this thread isn't taking an objective view of what JD said in this thread.

Scoff at the idea McCarron was better at Bama than Namath (as one example?)

In his career AJ had 15 interceptions.
In his career Joe had 20 interceptions at Bama. (For every six TD's passed he threw five INT's. It's about a 5:1 ratio with AJ.)
The math. It's indisputable.

Just as important, perhaps even more so, AJ had three times as many touchdowns.
AJ's QB rating was over 35 points better than Joe's.
His completion rate in his worst season (62.5%) came as a freshman. Joe's best rate was his senior year at 64%.
Career wise? 66.9% vs 54.3%.

Everything about AJ vs Joe in their time at Bama places AJ on a different level than Joe. The only reason people put Joe so high in their "Alabama's QB list" is due to what he did in the NFL and Hollywood. It has nothing to do with their time at Bama.

The attempt to dismiss things like decision making, which leads to INT's, is a hill I wouldn't die on if I were you. It's akin to looking at a running back who fumbled 20 times in his career and then comparing him to a guy who never lost a fumble at Bama and saying, "different era's, you can't compare them." Yet, it's still a matter of taking care of the football.

Back
Top Bottom