| FTBL ESPN's Pat Forde on Saban's return to LSU....

I am amazed at the LSU fans. I lost the once of respect I might have had for them...and Les "mouthy" Miles didn't try to downplay or repond with any form of class. Even with Bama's dislike for Tennessee, we have never crossed the line into the realm of hatred. If not for Saban, they could not claim one of the National Titles they hold so dear....claim the title, respect the coach!! Cold and classless...that's your LSU fanbase!

"My emotions for this place are positive, not negative," Saban said.

The biggest reason those emotions are not returned in kind by so many LSU fans is simple: They're seeing, firsthand, the brilliance of a coach who used to be theirs. This is jealousy, pure and simple. They want him and can't have him.

So true.

bamatommy said:
"My emotions for this place are positive, not negative," Saban said.

The biggest reason those emotions are not returned in kind by so many LSU fans is simple: They're seeing, firsthand, the brilliance of a coach who used to be theirs. This is jealousy, pure and simple. They want him and can't have him.

So true.

:lol: Stupid corndogs

My emotions for this place are positive, not negative," Saban said.

Actually, this jealousy is a masking for fear and has existed long before Saban came to Bama. He was just fuel added to what has burned since the 60s and 70s when Coach Bryant beat Cholly Mac with regularity. With some of those occasions, the SEC title was also on the line for both teams.

I'll give you an example of LSU's intense jealousy & deep-seeded fear. When Jerry Stovall and the Tigers beat Coach Bryant and Tide in 1982, frameable drive charts were printed up, detailing the game. My wife still has hers. Also, the argument followed between Tiger and USM fans on which school "forced the Bear" into retirement.

A lot of the younger fans may not be aware of how teams like Tennessee and LSU were usually near or atop the SEC standings before they faced Bama. SEC title expectations were often quelled by the end of those games.

The jealousy (hidden fear) and inferior feelings have existed for decades. Until 1998 for UT and 2003 & 2007 for LSU, these schools had gone many years without a NC in football. These schools (both with strong football traditions (pre-Bryant Era) but still not of the same standard as Bama's (over the past 40 years)) are very paranoid about sliding back into that previous pattern of the 60's and 70's, especially with their recent (last 10 years) successes.

LSU's reaction toward Saban has more to do with fear than with jealously. I ga-ron-tee you that if Les Miles put together a couple more NC in the next 3 or 4 years, the Tiger fans would get over Saban very quickly. They are smart enough, though, to see, or should I say, foresee things for the way they are really gonna be.

RTR!

bear facts said:

Actually, this jealousy is a masking for fear and has existed long before Saban came to Bama. He was just fuel added to what has burned since the 60s and 70s when Coach Bryant beat Cholly Mac with regularity. And with some of those occasions, the SEC title was also on the line for both teams.

I'll give you an example of LSU's intense jealousy & deep-seeded fear. When Jerry Stovall and the Tigers beat Coach Bryant and Tide in 1982, frameable drive charts were printed up, detailing the game. My wife still has hers. Also, the argument followed between Tiger and USM fans on which school "forced the Bear" into retirement.

A lot of the younger fans may not be aware of how teams like Tennessee and LSU were usually near or atop the SEC standings before they faced Bama. SEC title expectations were often quelled by the end of those games.

The jealousy (hidden fear) and inferior feelings have existed for decades. Until 1998 for UT and 2003 & 2007 for LSU, these schools had gone many years without a NC in football. These schools (both with strong football traditions but of a different standard than Bama's} are very paranoid about sliding back into that previous pattern of the 60's and 70's, especially with their recent (last 10 years) successes.

LSU's reaction toward Saban has more to do with fear than with jealously. I ga-ron-tee you that if Les Miles put together a couple more NC in the next 3 or 4 years, the Tiger fans would get over Saban very quickly. They are smart enough, though, to see, or should I say, foresee things for the way they are gonna be.

RTR!

Then I would say it's safe to say its both jealousy and fear. Fear with the 40 and older folks and jealousy with the under 40 crowd.

bamafan4ever said:
bear facts said:

Actually, this jealousy is a masking for fear and has existed long before Saban came to Bama. He was just fuel added to what has burned since the 60s and 70s when Coach Bryant beat Cholly Mac with regularity. And with some of those occasions, the SEC title was also on the line for both teams.

The jealousy (hidden fear) and inferior feelings have existed for decades. Until 1998 for UT and 2003 & 2007 for LSU, these schools had gone many years without a NC in football. These schools (both with strong football traditions but of a different standard than Bama's} are very paranoid about sliding back into that previous pattern of the 60's and 70's, especially with their recent (last 10 years) successes.

LSU's reaction toward Saban has more to do with fear than with jealously. I ga-ron-tee you that if Les Miles put together a couple more NC in the next 3 or 4 years, the Tiger fans would get over Saban very quickly. They are smart enough, though, to see, or should I say, foresee things for the way they are gonna be.

RTR!

Then I would say it's safe to say its both jealousy and fear. Fear with the 40 and older folks and jealousy with the under 40 crowd.

Good point, Greg. Let's just call it a big wax ball of both. :D

And I love it. Kinda makes me feel the way I do when I watch That 70s Show. Reliving things all over again. :D

My first taste of "Purple Paranoia" (my term) was in a grocery store where an LSU fan I know said, "Y'all stole our coach."

I replied, "I didn't know Les Miles was going to Alabama."

I've told them again and again that I absolutely find their hatred of Saban unfounded at best and stupid at worst.

Now, I just shake my head is disbelief and then I grin.

In fact, if LSU gets even decent quarterback play instead of four interceptions and 38 percent accuracy, it pulls the upset and scuttles the Tide's undefeated season.

... and "if" earl alexander didn't try and play hero, and if javy hadn't fumbled the punt return, and if JP didn't have Verizon Wireless and if... :roll:

shipley00 said:
In fact, if LSU gets even decent quarterback play instead of four interceptions and 38 percent accuracy, it pulls the upset and scuttles the Tide's undefeated season.

... and "if" earl alexander didn't try and play hero, and if javy hadn't fumbled the punt return, and if JP didn't have Verizon Wireless and if... :roll:

and if my daughter would have made my red play-doh elephant before the end of regulation and if I would have spent more of our scoring opportunities out in my yard instead of in front of the TV....

Yes I had let go of most of those silly superstitions, but now I know what I do does matter. :wink: :D

Regarding Alexander's attempt to score, I have a hard time with a touchdown being awarded if only the ball crosses the goal line ("breaks the plane" is the terminology). If a player is knocked out of bounds at, say, the two-yard line and puts the ball across the goal line before he touches the ground out of bounds, a TD is awarded. I don't think it's always been that way, and I don't think it should be that way now. If the rule was not like it is today, perhaps Alexander would not have reached out, trying to put the ball across.

Maybe some of you rules guys can enlighten me on this.

bear facts said:
bamafan4ever said:
bear facts said:

RTR!

Good point, Greg. Let's just call it a big wax ball of both. :D

And I love it. Kinda makes me feel the way I do when I watch That 70s Show. Reliving things all over again. :D

Bear,

I think I'll call it a big ball of **it! LOL!!! for both the 40 and over and under! Damn LSU fans!

Back
Top Bottom