| CURRENT EVENTS Donald Trump's supporters are not cultists, but "patriotic Americans who believe the country is at a tipping point politically and culturally".

For '24, I can't call myself a "Trump supporter." I don't know who I'm going to vote for as of yet. But, I do agree with the WaPo writer in this case: it's about a cultural and political climate today.

So many theorize it's Trump leading a group whereas I see Trump voicing the opinions of a group.

To clarify one point, a lot depends on the position they take on Ukraine. A LOT.

Case example, Pence. While claiming to be a "fiscal conservative" he sure likes sending money to a country ruled by a tyrant.
Yes, he's in favor of supporting Ukraine. If he claimed to be a libertarian, then perhaps that position wouldn't jibe with his label.

Yes, he's in favor of supporting Ukraine. If he claimed to be a libertarian, then perhaps that position wouldn't jibe with his label.
How does being a "fiscal conservative" jibe with his support of the millions sent?

To me, it jibes as much as him saying he wants a strong defense but insists on sending so many munitions to Ukraine our supply is now depleted.

Different note: In the same light as "they're, their, and there" I get amused with people getting jibe and gibe confused. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing you say "jibe" ... yeah, made me snicker a bit.

How does being a "fiscal conservative" jibe with his support of the millions sent?

To me, it jibes as much as him saying he wants a strong defense but insists on sending so many munitions to Ukraine our supply is now depleted.

Different note: In the same light as "they're, their, and there" I get amused with people getting jibe and gibe confused. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing you say "jibe" ... yeah, made me snicker a bit.
It's actually billions.

Being a fiscal conservative can coexist with support for Ukraine, not to mention Taiwan. If you believe that the defense of both nations is in the nation's long-term strategic interests, it's money well spent. If you believe there is moral imperative for each, then it's money well spent. Admittedly, being fiscally conservative doesn't stop at our shores. The push for other NATO nations to pay greater shares can be viewed as being completely aligned with fiscal conservatism.

Production is ramping up, no one really knows how many 155 rounds are in U.S. possession, some estimate over four million. Stingers, hard to start that back up, some of the others still in production are ramping up nicely, Javelin and such. Himars production is keeping pace with Ukraine fire rates.

I used jibe correctly...right?

RTR,

Tim

It's actually billions.
I know. I used millions to avoid the sense of hyperbole.
If you believe that the defense of both nations is in the nation's long-term strategic interests, it's money well spent. If you believe there is moral imperative for each, then it's money well spent. Admittedly, being fiscally conservative doesn't stop at our shores.
I don't believe that. I don't put Ukraine and Taiwan in the same boat either.

A year or more ago you and I talked about corrupt European nations. I haphazardly called Ukraine the most corrupt country in that hemisphere which you 'corrected.' The point was taken, and my point still remained: Ukraine is horribly corrupt. I don't believe we have strategic or moral imperatives here with one exception. We shouldn't be there.

Our moral imperative should be stopping the war.

I used jibe correctly...right?
Yeah, sure did. But think about this a second, Tim. How often do you see someone write the word, versus say the word? That's what started me laughing ... and then seeing it was spelled correctly was the icing on the cake.

I can slaughter grammar rules and the English language like no other...but that shouldn't, and won't, keep me from appreciating its proper use.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom