| FTBL Did the Bayou kid really say

Bryant34

A trained chimp with a lisp could recruit to Florida or USC (paraphrased)

Look kid, you are truly showing your age. Before Coach Spurrier, Florida was a good football team... but count the SEC Championships BEFORE he arrived. Spurrier put Florida on the map, and the wrong coach can take them back off the map.

Where was USC for the 20 years before Pete Carroll took over? Anybody know? I don't. I certainly don't remember them being contenders. Their ONE National Championship here lately doesn't stand out to me as dynastic, either.

As I said before, the wrong coach and either of those schools are back to mediocrity... right there with LSU.

Bama gets enough recruits on its own to be comptetive, but it takes a great coach like Nick Saban to recruit at a level that will deliver National Championships. Needless to say, the process is well under way.

My advise to you is to learn from history... it will soon be repeating.

tigerfan said:
USC does have 11 national championships. However, you are quite correct about a bad coach versus a good one.

True, true... and their tradition helps them tremendously.

I think you understand my point, though. The blanket "chimp" statement just doesn't hold water. John Robinson couldn't even get things turned around before Carroll got there.

LSU...mediocrity?? Strong words from a fan whose team's last 4 bowl appearences are Independence, Cotton, Independence, Muisc City. To your credit Bama did play quality opponenets such as Oklohoma State, Texas Tech, Minnesota, and Iowa State. Bama won 2 of these 4. This has been since 2000.
Go ahead and google LSU's bowl games since 2000 and lets talk about mediocrity. 10 years ago this would have worked...

moreno_iv said:
Not to be an ass-hat here, but I think it was Big_Fan who made the original statement, not one of the corndogs.

Don_t_be_an_asshat__by_robert.jpg

LSUstudent said:
LSU...mediocrity?? Strong words from a fan whose team's last 4 bowl appearences are Independence, Cotton, Independence, Muisc City. To your credit Bama did play quality opponenets such as Oklohoma State, Texas Tech, Minnesota, and Iowa State. Bama won 2 of these 4. This has been since 2000.
Go ahead and google LSU's bowl games since 2000 and lets talk about mediocrity. 10 years ago this would have worked...

There was that whole less scholarship players thing we had too. You conveniently chose to leave that out, sport.

Bryant34 said:

Look kid, you are truly showing your age. Before Coach Spurrier, Florida was a good football team... but count the SEC Championships BEFORE he arrived. Spurrier put Florida on the map, and the wrong coach can take them back off the map.

Where was USC for the 20 years before Pete Carroll took over? Anybody know? I don't. I certainly don't remember them being contenders. Their ONE National Championship here lately doesn't stand out to me as dynastic, either.

As I said before, the wrong coach and either of those schools are back to mediocrity... right there with LSU.

Bama gets enough recruits on its own to be comptetive, but it takes a great coach like Nick Saban to recruit at a level that will deliver National Championships. Needless to say, the process is well under way.

I don't think Big Fan ever said that any chimp could recruit to Florida and win a national championship. He said that any chimp could RECRUIT was all. And that is a true statement. Florida has always had talent, just like USC has always had talent. It was coach Bryant that said (paraphrased) "When Florida ever finds a coach the rest of the conference is in trouble". USC has always had one of the top recruiting classes in the country. It just took a good coach to do something with it is all.

That's basically what you were saying as well, but I think you read too much into Big Fan's post. He never said that it didn't take a coach. But getting the talent there has never been the problem.

porkchop said:
Bryant34 said:

I don't think Big Fan ever said that any chimp could recruit to Florida and win a national championship. He said that any chimp could RECRUIT was all. And that is a true statement. Florida has always had talent, just like USC has always had talent. It was coach Bryant that said (paraphrased) "When Florida ever finds a coach the rest of the conference is in trouble". USC has always had one of the top recruiting classes in the country. It just took a good coach to do something with it is all.

That's basically what you were saying as well, but I think you read too much into Big Fan's post. He never said that it didn't take a coach. But getting the talent there has never been the problem.

That is a fair summation. It is easy to recruit in a place where there are 300 division 1 recruits annually.

According to Scout.com, in the 2008 class there are 31 players rated 4 stars, and 7 rated 5. There are 88 players rated 3 stars. I am not going to bother counting the 2 star athletes. Given that there are 3 big time programs in Florida (I am not going to count USF until they sustain it), if you simply divided the recruits by 3 in equal portions, you would end up with an average star rating of 3.64. You would currently be ranked 9th in recruiting by average rating...and guess what? FSU is currently 7. Florida is currently 5. Factor in the recent winning of Florida and the Bobby Bowden tradition and you get what you get...extremely good recruiting.

But a trained chimp could have a top 10 class in Florida or at USC...or Texas. Huge populations + Football popularity = lots of recruits to go around. I mean...Zook had great recruiting classes and he got Croomed. Two years later Meyer was winning a NC with Zook players.

That is a fair summation. It is easy to recruit in a place where there are 300 division 1 recruits annually.

According to Scout.com, in the 2008 class there are 31 players rated 4 stars, and 7 rated 5. There are 88 players rated 3 stars. I am not going to bother counting the 2 star athletes. Given that there are 3 big time programs in Florida (I am not going to count USF until they sustain it), if you simply divided the recruits by 3 in equal portions, you would end up with an average star rating of 3.64. You would currently be ranked 9th in recruiting by average rating...and guess what? FSU is currently 7. Florida is currently 5. Factor in the recent winning of Florida and the Bobby Bowden tradition and you get what you get...extremely good recruiting.

But a trained chimp could have a top 10 class in Florida or at USC...or Texas. Huge populations + Football popularity = lots of recruits to go around. I mean...Zook had great recruiting classes and he got Croomed. Two years later Meyer was winning a NC with Zook players.

Good stuff there BF.........I can't remember the exact quote but Coach Bryant himself said that the SEC would be in a lot of trouble if they ever got someone down there that could recruit and coach. Guess we found out.

LSUstudent said:

How about history as a whole? LSU was nothing, so stop acting like your program has been a major power house forever. :roll:

I went back to the arrival of Paul Dietzel on the LSU campus to see just how "mediocre" the Tigers have been in the last 52 years. The only period of real mediocrity occurred between Mike Archer's first year (1987) and the arrival of Nick Saban in 2000. There have been two national championships and seven SEC titles. I guess the point I am making is that LSU was something of a college football power before Coach Saban came on the scene.

Paul Dietzel
1955-1961 46-24-3 0.651

Charles McClendon
1962-1979 137-59-7 0.692

Jerry Stovall
1980-1983 22-21-2 0.511

Bill Arnsparger
1984-1986 26-8-2 0.750

Mike Archer
1987-1990 27-18-1 0.598

Curley Hallman
1991-1994 16-28-0 0.364

Gerry DiNardo
1995-1999 33-24-1 0.578

Nick L. Saban
2000-2004 48-16-0 0.750

Les Miles
2005-2006 22-4-0 0.846
rat'chere

Our period of mediocrity occurred between the time when Gene Stallings left Tuscaloosa and the time when (Guess who?) Nick Saban arrived.

Back
Top Bottom