| FTBL Did Bama play to the Bama standard against UGA?

mando

This thought popped into my head and I wanted to share my thoughts and get you guys thoughts?

My thoughts are yes and no. I understand the 2nd half strategy was conservative and with a 23 point lead it is understandable to a point. The team letting a lead like this get away from them at home was not to the Bama standard. I think there is a fine line here. If Bama stops one or two of the 4th downs this game more aligns with what I would say with absolute certainty met the Bama standard. Winning against a top 5 team certainly meets that standard.

I can't erase the 2nd half from what I observed but I can't erase the thing of beauty that was the first half either.

What are yawls thoughts?

This thought popped into my head and I wanted to share my thoughts and get you guys thoughts?

My thoughts are yes and no. I understand the 2nd half strategy was conservative and with a 23 point lead it is understandable to a point. The team letting a lead like this get away from them at home was not to the Bama standard. I think there is a fine line here. If Bama stops one or two of the 4th downs this game more aligns with what I would say with absolute certainty met the Bama standard. Winning against a top 5 team certainly meets that standard.

I can't erase the 2nd half from what I observed but I can't erase the thing of beauty that was the first half either.

What are yawls thoughts?

Like you said, a stop here or there on 4th down and it's a different story. Bama calls a timeout on one 4th down play where it appeared they had the stop made, then they give it up the 1st after the timeout. The non-PI call that ended Bama's drive late in the 2nd quarter may have kept UGA's leg from getting swept into shreds. Also have to consider, UGA is built like Bama in so many ways... only a handful of teams would have, could have, gotten up off the mat like they did. And Beck showed in the 2nd half why he's one of the best 3 QB's in CFB... something I warned about leading up to the game. Some of those passes were surgical, especially on some 4th downs where he put it right where it had to be. But when Bama needed it most, they stepped up on both offense AND defense and closed it out. There's something to be said for that, the way Alabama responded in the final few minutes when UGA had all the momentum.

I can't remember who posted it last night, but it was a good point. Bama will get more out of that game, they way it played out, than if they'd won it 49-17.

Like you said, a stop here or there on 4th down and it's a different story. Bama calls a timeout on one 4th down play where it appeared they had the stop made, then they give it up the 1st after the timeout. The non-PI call that ended Bama's drive late in the 2nd quarter may have kept UGA's leg from getting swept into shreds. Also have to consider, UGA is built like Bama in so many ways... only a handful of teams would have, could have, gotten up off the mat like they did. And Beck showed in the 2nd half why he's one of the best 3 QB's in CFB... something I warned about leading up to the game. Some of those passes were surgical, especially on some 4th downs where he put it right where it had to be. But when Bama needed it most, they stepped up on both offense AND defense and closed it out. There's something to be said for that, the way Alabama responded in the final few minutes when UGA had all the momentum.

I can't remember who posted it last night, but it was a good point. Bama will get more out of that game, they way it played out, than if they'd won it 49-17.
So did they play to the Bama standard? I know it may not be that black and white but curious what peoples perceptions are.

So did they play to the Bama standard? I know it may not be that black and white but curious what peoples perceptions are.

It’s impossible to really answer, like you said. But pressed, I would say yes, they did. I can put it to you this way… pretend we had that exact game, play for play last night, same exact result, only difference was Saban was still the HC. I don’t think(?) they do it this way anymore, but there is a hallway in the football facility adorned with each year's schedule, made up of blocks that formed a pyramid. After each game, the players that felt like they played to the standard, signed the blocks. Is bet last night’s win would have garnered a bunch of signatures.

Overall, taking everything into account, I think they measured up pretty well to whatever the Standard would be defined as. Just my opinion.

I don’t think(?) they do it this way anymore, but there is a hallway in the football facility adorned with each year's schedule, made up of blocks that formed a pyramid. After each game, the players that felt like they played to the standard, signed the blocks. Is bet last night’s win would have garnered a bunch of signatures.

Most have seen them before but if not, here’s a photo of them I took before the 2018 season…

IMG_1837.jpeg

I will say this: We saw in the first half what Bama is capable of and that they can play to the standard. We also saw in the second half that they can lose the mind set and determination and look absolutely awful. What we want to see now is if they can play a complete game. Remember they had trouble playing a whole game last year. Someone on the team needs to step up and be the leader to encourage the whole team, to quote the greatest coach of all time, "you have to play 60 minutes." On the flip side I will say that Georgia might be one of a handful of teams with the talent, coaching, and discipline to pull off a comeback in a game like that. Ole Miss, sorry the SIP would not have made that comeback. Nor would A&M or Auburn or most of the teams in the SEC or Big. There is some consolation in that.

First half - yes
Second half - off and on

I know Saban would pull back if Alabama built a big lead, but this is Georgia. The focus should have been on making a statement- LOUD. Play calling went conservative. Everybody knew that Milroe would be the leading ball carrier.

Look at the number of freshmen that are starting. Only the 4th game so it is logical to assume that they will improve with reps. Same with an entirely new staff, unfamiliar with each other. Chemistry is developing among all. I suspect that issues will be addressed.

I hope not … if the Bama standard is to allow 15 play scoring drives and their opponents being able to go 5 for 5 on 4th downs that’s not much of a standard. I was ecstatic Bama won but it took a potential HIGHLIGHT of the season catch and run after catch by a generational type player … plus an interception by a freshman to win the game. If you had asked any Bama fan in our area of BD if Bama was going to win after the dogs took the lead I guarantee no one would have taken the bet. As good as Bama played in the first half should never end up in a game they can lose in the sevong half. So NO … I pray that’s NOT’s Bama’s standard. If it is, my heart won’t be able to take it.

I hope not … if the Bama standard is to allow 15 play scoring drives and their opponents being able to go 5 for 5 on 4th downs that’s not much of a standard. I was ecstatic Bama won but it took a potential HIGHLIGHT of the season catch and run after catch by a generational type player … plus an interception by a freshman to win the game. If you had asked any Bama fan in our area of BD if Bama was going to win after the dogs took the lead I guarantee no one would have taken the bet. As good as Bama played in the first half should never end up in a game they can lose in the sevong half. So NO … I pray that’s NOT’s Bama’s standard. If it is, my heart won’t be able to take it.
So 2017 wasnt Bama standard. Freshman qb to freshman wr. And 3 other freshmen on field at same time.

I just get confused with " bama standard".

Back
Top Bottom