| FTBL Did Bama play to the Bama standard against UGA?

So, if Bama would have played the number 2 team in the nation, in a tight back and forth game, (lets even say "for a National Championship") and came out winning by a touchdown, would you say they were playing to the Bama Standard?
It has always mattered to me how the team plays even in a win so winning by a touchdown is not the only thing I measure. They gave up 34 points, 500 yards of offense and double digit penalties and blew a 28 point lead.

It was an ugly win. Dominated early, took the gas off the pedal, trick plays, defensive backfield had blown coverages, bad clock management and I was aggravated just like everyone (about) else.

Bottom line we won and hopefully took away a lot of good things for the players and coaching staff about this game. Classic matchup between two very good programs.

Standard? Yep, Bama believes they are going to win and most others hope they can/will win. RTR!

Team wins, fanbase nitpicks & bellyaches.
👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽THAT is the Bama standard.
Well there you go the fanbase is doing its part lol... I am asking about the team. I have been around from the Bear years until now. How the team plays has always mattered. That is part of the Bama cutlure. Was not ok for Bears teams and not ok for CNS coached teams. That is a difference in Bama and other programs. This program evaluates itself against a standard not other teams or simply getting a win.

That first half was a thing of beauty on both sides of the ball. Play like that and no one can beat them. Stop a couple of 4th downs and I probably say they did meet the standard. Pate mentioned the idea of playing a normal game which UGA did not do when they were down big. They had to go into desperation mode and go for every 4th down in field positions that normally you do not do. Hard to explain how we could not stop one or two of those. Getting flagged on a couple of them did not help.

Speaking of penalties, Bama has only had one game where they did not get flagged for double digit penalties. This is a problem and had a lot to do with UGA getting back in the game.

You guys remember the losses to Ole Miss? Balls bouncing off of helmets leading to receptions? It was just weird.

The 4th down conversions. Weird. As much as I didn't like seeing that happen, good lord I appreciated it happening. It's one of those memories about college ball even though it happened against Bama.

I'm still trying to figure out if this game was better than the one in '94.

To me, playing to the standard more pertains to playing weaker opponents and NOT playing down to them.

This week with Vandy for instance - we need to play to a standard as opposed to just playing to win. Because as has been mentioned in other threads, our second string could beat Vandy.

To me, playing to the standard more pertains to playing weaker opponents and NOT playing down to them.

This week with Vandy for instance - we need to play to a standard as opposed to just playing to win. Because as has been mentioned in other threads, our second string could beat Vandy.
Get ready some vanilla play calling again this week.

It was an ugly win. Dominated early, took the gas off the pedal, trick plays, defensive backfield had blown coverages, bad clock management and I was aggravated just like everyone (about) else.

Bottom line we won and hopefully took away a lot of good things for the players and coaching staff about this game. Classic matchup between two very good programs.

Standard? Yep, Bama believes they are going to win and most others hope they can/will win. RTR!
Big time teams "always" expect they are gonna win...play uga. They expect to win...
Mercer...they do not

No, ball players would love playing against Vandy, Western Kentucky and Florida State (this year). It gives players a chance to pad their stats, play more players and dominate their opponent. Nobody like to get beat but they do like to beat.
Not the kind of boys i ever played with. They wanted to play best. Beat best.

But

This era of "boys"might want stat packing n easy wins.

Not me

Back
Top Bottom