| NEWS Deion Sanders walks out of Media Day after being called Deion: ‘You don’t call Nick Saban, Nick’

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders walked out of SWAC Media Day in Birmingham on Tuesday after a reporter called him by his first name, angering the second-year coach.

The Hall of Fame cornerback, affectionately known as “Prime Time,” demanded, per The Clarion Ledger, that reporters shouldn’t call him by his first name.

“You don’t call Nick Saban, ‘Nick,’” Sanders said. “Don’t call me Deion. If you call Nick (Saban), Nick, you’ll get cussed out on the spot, so don’t do that to me. Treat me like Nick.”

Sanders is coming off a 4-3 record in his first year as a college coach. According to the report, he walked out after someone called him by his first name a second time.

The former Florida State star has certainly been a headline magnet in his first year as a coach. In March, shortly after Alabama State beat Jackson State 35-28 in Montgomery, the Hornets trolled Sanders on the scoreboard by broadcasting a 1989 draft day photo of “Primetime.”

“Childish,” Sanders said in March. “It is what it is. They know they messed up.”

A month prior, a “pissed” Sanders told reporters in a wild story after Jackson State beat Edward Waters 53-0 someone got into the locker room and office and stole wallets, credit cards and more.

Not long after, Jackson State confirmed to media outlets that Sanders’ things were all found in his locker.

I do not know about No. 2 but No. 1 is accurate. Deion was doing zoom interviews with reporters and he called on the one in question. He referred to him as "Deion" and Sanders cut him off and said something like "You wouldn't call Nick Saban "Nick" or you'd be cussed out, so don't call me Deion. It's coach." Deion WAS laughing and smiling through it but the reporter then doubled down and said, "Yeah okay, DEION" and Sanders immediately got up and walked off.

*EDIT I have the answer to No. 2. No, he did write the article. Someone else at his paper did: Top Jackson State football commitment Quaydarius Davis to appear in court Tuesday for assault charge

Still don't know if he had his credentials pulled but he doesn't even seem to be the Jackson State beat writer, he covers Ole Miss.

Thanks... that fills in some blanks.

Thanks... that fills in some blanks.
It didn't go like described, Bran. The entire bit is here. "Treat me like Nick." "Okay, Deion."

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders walked out of SWAC Media Day in Birmingham on Tuesday after a reporter called him by his first name, angering the second-year coach.

The Hall of Fame cornerback, affectionately known as “Prime Time,” demanded, per The Clarion Ledger, that reporters shouldn’t call him by his first name.

“You don’t call Nick Saban, ‘Nick,’” Sanders said. “Don’t call me Deion. If you call Nick (Saban), Nick, you’ll get cussed out on the spot, so don’t do that to me. Treat me like Nick.”

Sanders is coming off a 4-3 record in his first year as a college coach. According to the report, he walked out after someone called him by his first name a second time.

The former Florida State star has certainly been a headline magnet in his first year as a coach. In March, shortly after Alabama State beat Jackson State 35-28 in Montgomery, the Hornets trolled Sanders on the scoreboard by broadcasting a 1989 draft day photo of “Primetime.”

“Childish,” Sanders said in March. “It is what it is. They know they messed up.”

A month prior, a “pissed” Sanders told reporters in a wild story after Jackson State beat Edward Waters 53-0 someone got into the locker room and office and stole wallets, credit cards and more.

Not long after, Jackson State confirmed to media outlets that Sanders’ things were all found in his locker.
Things have changed since my Stone Age days. Back then everyone called the coach Coach. I can assure you all the players did. No one would ever dare address Coach Bryant as Bear or Paul.

It didn't go like described, Bran. The entire bit is here. "Treat me like Nick." "Okay, Deion."

Either way, drama follows Deion. Always has. Reminds me of the wisdom shared once by the great Raylan Givens... "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Yes. Thats who i was thinking of
I know.
He may have killed it at AU.. it’s a gimmick school… “family” “ausome” etc..
The only question I have about how successful he would have been down there, in recruiting, is how much support he would get from the boosters. Just my opinion here...I think their "money guys" would look at him in the lenses of Trooper Taylor. It would be an "Alright, but. Alright. But." And yes, I'm saying I believe some of the "lack of support" would be along racial views. I've seen too much weird stuff down there over the years.

I know.

The only question I have about how successful he would have been down there, in recruiting, is how much support he would get from the boosters. Just my opinion here...I think their "money guys" would look at him in the lenses of Trooper Taylor. It would be an "Alright, but. Alright. But." And yes, I'm saying I believe some of the "lack of support" would be along racial views. I've seen too much weird stuff down there over the years.
Oh. Trooper like. Absolutely
But. Dion is all about Dion.
I dont see how AU bunch would have ever accepted

Be interested to see where he goes from CU. Someone will be desperate and grab him ( aka kiffin). .... and right place. Who knows. Maybe a miss state?

Deion is a personality and a character. That does not equate to a great, good or even average coach. He was a great player but was always running his mouth. He usually backed it up so he could get away with it. Nothing I have seen tells me he will be more than a side show as a coach.

Back
Top Bottom