| NEWS Deion Sanders walks out of Media Day after being called Deion: ‘You don’t call Nick Saban, Nick’

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders walked out of SWAC Media Day in Birmingham on Tuesday after a reporter called him by his first name, angering the second-year coach.

The Hall of Fame cornerback, affectionately known as “Prime Time,” demanded, per The Clarion Ledger, that reporters shouldn’t call him by his first name.

“You don’t call Nick Saban, ‘Nick,’” Sanders said. “Don’t call me Deion. If you call Nick (Saban), Nick, you’ll get cussed out on the spot, so don’t do that to me. Treat me like Nick.”

Sanders is coming off a 4-3 record in his first year as a college coach. According to the report, he walked out after someone called him by his first name a second time.

The former Florida State star has certainly been a headline magnet in his first year as a coach. In March, shortly after Alabama State beat Jackson State 35-28 in Montgomery, the Hornets trolled Sanders on the scoreboard by broadcasting a 1989 draft day photo of “Primetime.”

“Childish,” Sanders said in March. “It is what it is. They know they messed up.”

A month prior, a “pissed” Sanders told reporters in a wild story after Jackson State beat Edward Waters 53-0 someone got into the locker room and office and stole wallets, credit cards and more.

Not long after, Jackson State confirmed to media outlets that Sanders’ things were all found in his locker.

Back
Top Bottom