| NEWS Deion Sanders walks out of Media Day after being called Deion: ‘You don’t call Nick Saban, Nick’

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders walked out of SWAC Media Day in Birmingham on Tuesday after a reporter called him by his first name, angering the second-year coach.

The Hall of Fame cornerback, affectionately known as “Prime Time,” demanded, per The Clarion Ledger, that reporters shouldn’t call him by his first name.

“You don’t call Nick Saban, ‘Nick,’” Sanders said. “Don’t call me Deion. If you call Nick (Saban), Nick, you’ll get cussed out on the spot, so don’t do that to me. Treat me like Nick.”

Sanders is coming off a 4-3 record in his first year as a college coach. According to the report, he walked out after someone called him by his first name a second time.

The former Florida State star has certainly been a headline magnet in his first year as a coach. In March, shortly after Alabama State beat Jackson State 35-28 in Montgomery, the Hornets trolled Sanders on the scoreboard by broadcasting a 1989 draft day photo of “Primetime.”

“Childish,” Sanders said in March. “It is what it is. They know they messed up.”

A month prior, a “pissed” Sanders told reporters in a wild story after Jackson State beat Edward Waters 53-0 someone got into the locker room and office and stole wallets, credit cards and more.

Not long after, Jackson State confirmed to media outlets that Sanders’ things were all found in his locker.

Actually, I hear ass-hats call CNS, Nick, all the time.

I think it was Rick Karley, that wrote an article about this last year. I don't necessarily agree with Deion walking out of the interview, but he did make his point. I do agree with the fact that, in the very least, you should call them coach, out of respect.

I think it was Rick Karley, that wrote an article about this last year. I don't necessarily agree with Deion walking out of the interview, but he did make his point. I do agree with the fact that, in the very least, you should call them coach, out of respect.
When i met Nick...i called him....Nick
He didnt seem to mind...
I remember a discussion some times back...here...on this

i dont see that as disrespectful at all...
In the pressers i hear reporters calling him Nick...

He prefers to be called Nick by most people.

I see what he's saying, but I do hear folks call Coach Saban, Nick. He wants to be known for more than being a player. He has earned the right to be called Coach, as he is one now, so I have no issues with him wanting to be called that. Good lord, just look at a doctor and don't call them "Doctor" and see how snarky they get real fast.

Can someone who has followed this much more closely than me confirm if both of these things are true?

1- Deion asked him to address him as "coach" and the reporter refused and still called him Deion (which set him off).

2- The reporter had just written an article about a very high profile Jackson St. recruit and his off the field issues (and as of today the reporter had his credentials pulled by Jackson St.).

I've seen both of those things mentioned this morning on social media.

Regardless, while I'd address him as coach in that situation, Deion's reaction is silly, yet predictable. Elite cover skills aside, he's always had immaturity issue and an attitude that pops up, often times when dealing with media... going way, way back. Throwing the Saban stuff into it was just dumb and helped his argument 0%.

Jackson State football coach Deion Sanders walked out of SWAC Media Day in Birmingham on Tuesday after a reporter called him by his first name, angering the second-year coach.

The Hall of Fame cornerback, affectionately known as “Prime Time,” demanded, per The Clarion Ledger, that reporters shouldn’t call him by his first name.

“You don’t call Nick Saban, ‘Nick,’” Sanders said. “Don’t call me Deion. If you call Nick (Saban), Nick, you’ll get cussed out on the spot, so don’t do that to me. Treat me like Nick.”

Sanders is coming off a 4-3 record in his first year as a college coach. According to the report, he walked out after someone called him by his first name a second time.

The former Florida State star has certainly been a headline magnet in his first year as a coach. In March, shortly after Alabama State beat Jackson State 35-28 in Montgomery, the Hornets trolled Sanders on the scoreboard by broadcasting a 1989 draft day photo of “Primetime.”

“Childish,” Sanders said in March. “It is what it is. They know they messed up.”

A month prior, a “pissed” Sanders told reporters in a wild story after Jackson State beat Edward Waters 53-0 someone got into the locker room and office and stole wallets, credit cards and more.

Not long after, Jackson State confirmed to media outlets that Sanders’ things were all found in his locker.
When it's more about you... than the team... not surprised coming from Mr. PrimeTime... just saying.

I see what he's saying, but I do hear folks call Coach Saban, Nick. He wants to be known for more than being a player. He has earned the right to be called Coach, as he is one now, so I have no issues with him wanting to be called that. Good lord, just look at a doctor and don't call them "Doctor" and see how snarky they get real fast.
I deal with that every week. Pisses me off to no end.

If I know you're a doctor, I will address you as such, but to be corrected because I don't know.......I refuse to call them anything after that. I finish what I need to do and leave.

I will give someone the respect they deserve. ie.....i have been fortunate enough to meet CNS several times. I always address him as Coach. I feel that any coach has earned that distinction. Much like everything else in our society that has gone to hell......manners and respect were one of the first to leave IMO.

The way this thing had been reported on (at least from those I heard about it on the radio) was pretty unfair. One way Deion is off is that reporters call Saban "Nick" all the time and he seems to not care. In fact, there was a big "controversy" last year over this same matter with some people acting triggered over that and others claiming it was weird to refer to a coach as "coach." For me, personally, I refer to ever coach I interact with as "Coach" or "Coach ____," it's just a respect and professionalism thing for me. Everyone is different, though. If a coach PREFERS you refer to him as "coach" I think you should, though.

Where the reporter was wrong, in my opinion, is after Deion made it clear how it felt about it (though he did also seem like he was kidding around or at least trying to be light-hearted about it at first) the reporter then doubled down and said "OK, Deion..." If he knew Deion personally that might be a different thing but it came off very disrespectful to me.

Can someone who has followed this much more closely than me confirm if both of these things are true?

1- Deion asked him to address him as "coach" and the reporter refused and still called him Deion (which set him off).

2- The reporter had just written an article about a very high profile Jackson St. recruit and his off the field issues (and as of today the reporter had his credentials pulled by Jackson St.).

I've seen both of those things mentioned this morning on social media.

Regardless, while I'd address him as coach in that situation, Deion's reaction is silly, yet predictable. Elite cover skills aside, he's always had immaturity issue and an attitude that pops up, often times when dealing with media... going way, way back. Throwing the Saban stuff into it was just dumb and helped his argument 0%.

I do not know about No. 2 but No. 1 is accurate. Deion was doing zoom interviews with reporters and he called on the one in question. He referred to him as "Deion" and Sanders cut him off and said something like "You wouldn't call Nick Saban "Nick" or you'd be cussed out, so don't call me Deion. It's coach." Deion WAS laughing and smiling through it but the reporter then doubled down and said, "Yeah okay, DEION" and Sanders immediately got up and walked off.

*EDIT I have the answer to No. 2. No, he did write the article. Someone else at his paper did: Top Jackson State football commitment Quaydarius Davis to appear in court Tuesday for assault charge

Still don't know if he had his credentials pulled but he doesn't even seem to be the Jackson State beat writer, he covers Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom