Unproven.

Unknown.

Freshman.

Inexperienced.

Thunder.

Lightening.

Most-talented.

Hype.

This is a list of words that, besides the point it could be continued for another hour, was all any college football fan heard about the season opener for Alabama and Clemson this season.

As the summer months passed us by and as we were inundated with this barrage that would make Roget delirious my confidence level grew each and every week.

Just last week when Step and Stevon Lewis of Bama's Ball Radio interviewed one of the Clemson beat writers there was one thought that struck me between the eyes. Perhaps, struck me as hard as both the offensive and defensive lines for the Tigers were struck last night.

"They don't think we can finish!"

That thought of mine was further reinforced by his statement that "Alabama will likely take an early lead but after the offensive line gets used to the game Clemson will come back and eventually win."

Here's your adjective.

Finished.

This morning, as more and more comments come out about their feelings I was once again struck between the eyes. This time on a slightly different glancing blow.

Heralded running back, C.J. Spiller said, ""They came in here fired up, they read a whole lot about me and James."

Yes, and no C.J.

Yes, because we did read where you and James didn't gain more than 100 yards, combined, against Va. Tech, Ga. Tech and Boston College.

No in this context.

You and James read a whole lot about you and James.

To make that a little more clear and to borrow a popular sports cliche', "you and James along with your entire team bought into your own press clippings. As did your staff, your fan base and all the writers following Clemson on a daily basis."

In fact, it seems some writers that report on Clemson still haven't come to terms with the reality.

Reality. Hmmm? Another adjective.

Here is the reality of the situation in no better term than another adjective.

Dominated.

From the start of this game Alabama's offensive and defensive lines took control of this game. Before the 1st quarter of play was over this game had been decided.

It wasn't the youth on Alabama's side that couldn't handle the adversity, it was the senior-laden, skill position players for Clemson that couldn't handle their responsibilities of leading this team in a manner that one would expect from a "National Champion Contender."

Domination evidenced by, among many things...

Alabama's offense had the ball almost twice as much as Clemson's vaunted offense: 80 snaps compared to 48.

Alabama ran the ball 43 times for positive yardage. It was in the last 10 minutes of the game before Clemson was able to stop the Bama running attack.

Alabama's offense had possession of the ball close to 75% of the game. (over 41 of the 60 minutes)

No turnovers, but forced two.

No sacks (in fact I saw John Parker "hit" just once that I recall) versus 3 for Harper.

"Thunder and Lightening," which I've yet to see occur indoors, held to a total of zero rushing yards due to the other cog in their wheel losing 20+ yards in the backfield.

Our offense wasn't revolutionary as some in state have termed their new offense. It was simple, fundamental football.

There is one other simple, fundamental point that can be taken out of this game.

If Alabama continues to play as it did Saturday night seeing ATL again in 2008 isn't a dream, it's a goal based in reality.

Goal. Reality.

Those adjectives...

Good Stuff Terry. The one word/adjective used by Coach Saban other than "Aight" and "Relative" that happened last night and you eluded to was DOMINATE, and that they did. Its been along time since I have felt this confident. The "Process" is as planned.

Roll Tide!!

FLTidefan said:
Got another word for you Terry, used it in my review of the game.

METHODICAL

icon_smile_approve_jumbo.gif

There are all sorts of adjectives that describe this game. We could go on and on... I must also say that I'm a bit hesitant to get too excited about this game simply b/c of Clemson's poor gag reflex...they choke too much when it matters.

However, I don't want to minimize how our beloved Tide performed. The word that really sticks out is DISCIPLINE.

I remember reading a quote by CNS some time back it went something like this...

Everybody faces discipline; it comes either before or after an outcome. You face discipline before success or you face discipline after failure. Which would you prefer? I prefer discipline before success.

I've remembered this quote as I do many things in my career, family, & spiritual life. It has become something that I impart to my kids. It is the reality of life.

The team seems to have understood the taste of discipline after failure & don't like the taste or after taste. They do seem focused but it is so hard to tell at this point.

For me, it will not be finally clear until November is over & we have won atleast the last 3 games.

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
There are all sorts of adjectives that describe this game. We could go on and on... I must also say that I'm a bit hesitant to get too excited about this game simply b/c of Clemson's poor gag reflex...they choke too much when it matters.

However, I don't want to minimize how our beloved Tide performed. The world that really sticks out is DISCIPLINE.

I remember reading a quote by CNS some time back it went something like this...

Everybody faces discipline; it comes either before or after an outcome. You face discipline before success or you face discipline after failure. Which would you prefer? I prefer discipline before success.

I've remembered this quote as I do many things in my career, family, & spiritual life. It has become something that I impart to my kids. It is the reality of life.

The team seems to have understood the taste of discipline after failure & don't like the taste or after taste. They do seem focused but it is so hard to tell at this point.

For me, it will not be finally clear until November is over & we have won atleast the last 3 games.

Excellent thought as well.

Very evidenced by the way our players responded to some of the antics we witnessed in attempts to intimidate.

I recall on the first play, the Julio reception, one of the DB's trying to get in Julio's ear only be bee addressed with a simple look and the turn of a shoulder. As if, "say what you want."

That impressed me as it did throughout the game with a number of instances.

That is discipline to keep their focus on the task at hand.

Great post Geeko.

Bamafan4ever......that sig/avatar is awesome!! I bout pissed myself laughing at the snooty frenchman!!

Terry same thing seemed to happen to Javier on a play. He just went back to the huddle and got the next play and went about his business.

Businesslike

Re: FOOTBALL

ROLL TIDE ROLL said:
i feel confident in this young tide team in winning the sec.

First of all, Welcome to RollTideBama...post often. ;tr

Confidence is a great thing, but Bama will need to play Arkansas and Georgia before any of us start thinking about Atlanta. Not to mention we have to take care of bussiness in November, which has been a while my friend.

Tider27 said:
ROLL TIDE ROLL said:

Confidence is a great thing, but Bama will need to play Arkansas and Georgia before any of us start thinking about Atlanta. Not to mention we have to take care of bussiness in November, which has been a while my friend.

^^STU

What he said. Welcome to the asylum. :) :wink:

Great job

I live in SC and had to listen to the constant rants of Clemson fans. How they were going to destroy us with Thunder and lighting. All I can say to them now is WELCOME TO THE SEC.

porkchop said:
Tider27 said:
ROLL TIDE ROLL said:

^^STU

What he said. Welcome to the asylum. :) :wink:

An assylum. Now that'sy kind of place.

:D :D :D

Do they have collards and pulled pork here?

Back
Top Bottom