| NEWS Clear the air.

(Pork Chop too) for everything. Being the best people ever.

Last but not least, Terry P- He could of gone anywhere, he choce us. TY bro.
It was Keith, after a few phone conversations, that brought me here. I'd lurked since the inception because I knew who you guys were.

Lance allows me to play with the software at my own discretion. I appreciate that! It's a nice playground all the while talking about Bama. I wish I had more time these days...prolly 30 different hacks I"ve got in mind I could throw in.

Afraid to name names for fear I'd leave someone out, but there is no doubt that this is far and above any other Bama message boards.
Not sure who to thank for the sports betting part but it adds so much to this site.

PS: I lost my ass wagering on games awhile back. Hopefully this post will garner me another $750k to bet with as well as an authentic Bama Jersey signed by Jalen Hurts 😂😂😂

Thank @TerryP for that... only downside that came with it is that degenerate @the Bookie hangs around in the shadows, buying up real estate and strong-arming the regulars.
@alabamajack There's a purpose behind the 'book. It's self indulgence. It feeds an addiction: which is college football. Playing the games makes me watch more football. Betting isn't legal in SC ,yet, but I do play several games on the weekends with a local bookie. Just by entering the games each week I get a pretty good feel on what's going on.

I'm not trying to be nosey. I am being nosey. Why did you leave?
If you read this thread you'll figure a lot of it out. Bottom line: a guy I moved to a moderator position, then an admin position, decided he was going to tell a guy I didn't know what I was talking about one day. It was on the private message side. The PROBLEM was the guy he chose to discredit me with...a business partner. He was a personal friend. I knew about the "back stab" immediately...and it went to hell.

Kirk touched on this earlier in the thread...trustworthy commentary. It's not about being first, it's about being right. That's why you see us saying, "patience, let the story play out." I told the guy he was wrong...and like I said, it went to hell from that point.

I learned a lot about the software end of things from my time with that site...voted one of the best by ESPN in '99. But, you put a bad apple in the mix and the whole bushel spoils. I put the bad apple in.

@Kirk Van de Graaff is the Godfather of this site... without his idea to start Crimson Tusks, there is no eventual RTB in its current form. We've had a lot of fun as a group through the years... ironically, especially so during the Fran, Price, Shula transition years when we laughed and masked the pain... but always made the most of it and had fun... while knowing that brighter days on the field were eventually ahead. Honestly, those were some of the best times though, made so by some of the best people. It feels weird when I have to explain to folks sometimes that some of my best, closest friends are guys that I met on a Bama message board 20+ years ago. I said this last month during Tennessee week, but I really wish Bo was here to enjoy this Saban-led run, but also thankful that he got to see the front end of it.

I know we don't really do the A-Day tailgates anymore, but I'd be all about a group going to an away game one year... Arkansas, Mississippi State, whatever... would be a lot of fun.

Here's some photos through the years of a few (certainly not all) of the best of them...

@doemasters took all but 1 of the pictures...

IMG_6009.jpg

bamafan4ever & Bo

IMG_0235.jpg

Bo

IMG_4976-X3.jpg

Porkchop

IMG_9614.jpg

It Takes Eleven

IMG_9750-X3.jpg

Kirk Van de Graaff & Coach Nicholas Lou Saban

IMG_7793-X3.jpg

Me & rammerjammer
Great pics! The time does fly. My little boy got married in August.

Think about that, Greg. I was involved with the launch of TF in 1995; on AOL. Were you around when the "great server crash of '99" happened? 75% of my "sources" come from the Bamafan email listserv from the early 90's that was so strictly moderated the only off topic subjects that were allowed were the squirrels eating cable lines on campus and BBQ.

"...when we broke away..."

So much like politics. IE: Hillary and "deplorables." To this day, to this minute, I still don't understand the idea of being so combatant to Bama fans who happen to have a different view. "You don't agree with me? Banned." Fuckin' ridiculous.
Ha, Terry! I was indeed around in '99. The first "message board" I joined back in those days and there were not many options for sure. We all came from the background of being over-moderated. God forbid you were not monolithic enough to agree with everything JessN and others said back in those days. You were literally forced into a corner and battered by the robotic masses. I have never bothered to look but does that place still exists?

Anyway, I mean what I say about how much I appreciate you guys keeping this "ball rolling" around here. It can be very informational and still have the edge of a forum that all of us were really wanting back in those days of AOL, etc. We just happen to have a lot more success to go with all of the bitching that still occurs to this day. All I have to do to appreciate the Saban era is to think quickly back to the Dubose era.

I was on TF and Crimson Tusks back at the start as well. I came to Roll Tide Bama when the change took place and have never looked back. I really developed a deep appreciation for the folks on here back then when I put a post on about my wife having a major health issue and almost dying. The response and compassion was overwhelming! After 14 days in ICU back in Dec. of 2003, I brought her home Christmas Eve and she is doing well.

I have broken bread with @Bamabww at Newbern's in Florence. As @bamaledge said, us northerners are wanting to come to a game in Tuscaloosa. I have not been to a home game since 1989. @rick4bama has been a true friend. He has called, I have called and we keep up with each other on FB. Yes, we are old and do not do the others. @UAgrad93 and I both have been long time football coach's. @bamatommy has become a friend via the in game thread.

I really hate naming names because I know I am leaving out people that need to be mentioned. There are so many folks that I have come to know through this site. Although we do not always agree, we still are friends through this site. I often say, we can disagree without being disagreeable. Thanks to all who have been on here for a long time and to the newer posters. Its a joy for me to come here and talk about the University of Alabama.

Last edited:
I was on TF and Crimson Tusks back at the start as well. I came to Roll Tide Bama when the change took place and have never looked back. I really developed a deep appreciation for the folks on here back then when I put a post on about my wife having a major health issue and almost dying. The response and compassion was overwhelming! After 14 days in ICU back in Dec. of 2003, I brought her home Christmas Eve and she is doing well.

I have broken bread with @Bamabww at Newbern's in Florence/ As @bamaledge said, us northerners are trying to are wanting to come to a game in Tuscaloosa. I have not been to a home game since 1989. @rick4bama has been a true friend. He has called, I have called and we keep up with each other on FB. Yes, we are old and do not do the others. @UAgrad93 and I both have been long time football coach's. @bamatommy has become a friend via the in game thread.

I really hate naming names because I know I am leaving out people that need to be mentioned. There are so many folks that I have come to know through this site. Although we do not always agree, we still are friends through this site. I often say, we can disagree without being disagreeable. Thanks to all who have been on here for a long time and to the newer posters. Its a joy for me to come here and talk about the University of Alabama.
No home game since Bill Curry? You gotta get yourself down here...

I guess I've been around a while, I enjoy the football talk, and everything else is a bonus. @TerryP lets me meander a bit, always appreciate the latitude. It's a great diversion, and I've really enjoyed getting to know everyone.

I've only been on two other topical message boards, one that originated as a listserv in the early 90's (the old AT-L Appalachian Trail board), and a 67-72 Chevy Truck board when I was in the throes of a restoration.

RTR,

Tim

Newbern's in Florence
I've not been an owner in the restaurant business. My family (dad) has. I've only jumped in to the sports bar business, twice. One thing I can say...

If you have a business that you can close Sunday's and Monday's...you're doing something right. If I recall correctly, Newburn's still runs that way.

A friend and I ... we're looking at opening a dinner club. Think of a hunting club but it's food. Nondescript. No signage. Private entrance. I don't know how laws vary from state to state but I do know it's very legal to have private clubs in SC. As in literally, "no, you can't come in here."

Question:

I don't know if you drink. I think you said you didn't. But here's the deal. Your first beer is $18. But you don't pay for the next five. You drink two? $18. You drink six? $18. I've got regulars from two different sports bars that love the idea. It's less hassle. I dunno.

I've not been an owner in the restaurant business. My family (dad) has. I've only jumped in to the sports bar business, twice. One thing I can say...

If you have a business that you can close Sunday's and Monday's...you're doing something right. If I recall correctly, Newburn's still runs that way.

A friend and I ... we're looking at opening a dinner club. Think of a hunting club but it's food. Nondescript. No signage. Private entrance. I don't know how laws vary from state to state but I do know it's very legal to have private clubs in SC. As in literally, "no, you can't come in here."

Question:

I don't know if you drink. I think you said you didn't. But here's the deal. Your first beer is $18. But you don't pay for the next five. You drink two? $18. You drink six? $18. I've got regulars from two different sports bars that love the idea. It's less hassle. I dunno.

Newbern's is a local spot in Florence, less than a mile from my mom and dads house. They have gone there every Friday evening for years and usually catch it through the week. Gary and Teresa, the owners are wonderful folks. Teresa and I attended the same school together and rode the same bus. They have closed every Sunday and Monday for years. Both she and her husband are very active in a local church.

No, I am not a drinker, unless its ginger ale, sweet tea or water. The alcohol is not a moral issue with me. I just grew up around alcoholics and am afraid if I took that first drink....

I guess I've been around a while, I enjoy the football talk, and everything else is a bonus. @TerryP lets me meander a bit, always appreciate the latitude. It's a great diversion, and I've really enjoyed getting to know everyone.
On a different note. Did you ever have a "pen pal" as a kid? I've had a few. My uncle Gary has a radio station in Spokane. He introduced me to an engineers kid I played chess with; via USPS. I've never met him personally, but we talk all the time.

This is what I find intriguing about message forums. We're pen pals; with a caveat.

It's like a sports bar, or your local tavern. I've said this a lot...too often people come in, sit, have a drink, but don't read the room. When they do stop, pause, and get the room? They hang around.

That's pretty much the conversation that porkchop and I had back in '05.

Newbern's is a local spot in Florence, less than a mile from my mom and dads house. They have gone there every Friday evening for years and usually catch it through the week. Gary and Teresa, the owners are wonderful folks. Teresa and I attended the same school together and rode the same bus. They have closed every Sunday and Monday for years. Both she and her husband are very active in a local church.

No, I am not a drinker, unless its ginger ale, sweet tea or water. The alcohol is not a moral issue with me. I just grew up around alcoholics and am afraid if I took that first drink....
I came close to mentioning Gary...couldn't remember if I had the name right. I thought I might be confusing him with Gary Lewis. (Rama Jama's, the original Houndstooth owner.)

I thought I remembered you saying that. I don't have any issues with anyone on their choices. Drinkin', drugs, you name it. My day normally runs with coffee...water...and then beer.

I have HUGE issues with food and restaurants. HUGE. I'm not mentally stable when it comes to food.

To be clear. I've never had an issue with Jess. He's good people.
Perhaps and you know him much better than I do. Kind of crappy I guess for me to lump all their Mods into a one-type style as well. Given further thought,, JessN did stick to mostly his gifted craft which was writing. I may have sqirrled away the one's that were more dictatorial, and for good reason! I am sure if their handles were mentioned, it would remind me quickly who I was thinking of.

On a different note. Did you ever have a "pen pal" as a kid? I've had a few. My uncle Gary has a radio station in Spokane. He introduced me to an engineers kid I played chess with; via USPS. I've never met him personally, but we talk all the time.

This is what I find intriguing about message forums. We're pen pals; with a caveat.

It's like a sports bar, or your local tavern. I've said this a lot...too often people come in, sit, have a drink, but don't read the room. When they do stop, pause, and get the room? They hang around.

That's pretty much the conversation that porkchop and I had back in '05.
Porkchop was a great negotiator, if not for him, Greg, and Brandon, I would not have dived in and did CimsonTusks. That Yabb forum was a pain in the ass. I did all the software stuff and it was a Pain. I got the server from a TV add that hat this hot chick with a set of boobs called Go Daddy. I bet we had server issues once a week. Doemaster reached out, prob laughing at me, and we used his server along with Hank Jrs. It was a no brainer after that to merge.

Perhaps and you know him much better than I do. Kind of crappy I guess for me to lump all their Mods into a one-type style as well. Given further thought,, JessN did stick to mostly his gifted craft which was writing. I may have sqirrled away the one's that were more dictatorial, and for good reason! I am sure if their handlees were mentioned, it would remind me quickly who I was thinking of.
There was a bar on the strip called the Back Porch. Jess and I...the guy that owns the Trussville newspaper now...several other guys who now run Bama sites...we all used to hang out there on occasion. One of the funniest moments of my life was seeing Jess order a chocolate martini the day we found out (before the news broke ) that the sanctions were coming. I seldom criticize players or coaches online. But , I remember that weekend Jess and I were talking and I said, "I'm going anti-Shula." After the State loss, right?

There are a few guys over there there that are good people. A bad apple amongst the group.

The site is still running ... good amount of traffic. It's funny to me seeing them follow our software changes.

Porkchop was a great negotiator, if not for him, Greg, and Brandon, I would not have dived in and did CimsonTusks. That Yabb forum was a pain in the ass. I did all the software stuff and it was a Pain. I got the server from a TV add that hat this hot chick with a set of boobs called Go Daddy. I bet we had server issues once a week. Doemaster reached out, prob laughing at me, and we used his server along with Hank Jrs. It was a no brainer after that to merge.
To be honest, I was laughing at times. It wasn't laughing at you, it was laughing at the situation. I saw it all over the place back then.

There is an LSU forum, Tigerfans/Tigerforums, that's dealing with a lot of issues now. I'm good friends with several guys on that site...and I'm laughing at them. I could fix that site in 10 minutes...but good lord, we can't have a Bama fan fix an LSU site! That's just WRONG!

And it's all about conversations...

Back
Top Bottom