| FTBL Birmingham this weekend...a little help

AFF

My wife and I will be coming to Birmingham this weekend with my son. His girlfriend goes to Samford and they are having some to-do on campus, so we're going to make an overnight stay of it on Saturday. We'll be staying in the Homewood area near Samford. The kids will be off doing their thing, so it'll just be my wife and I for all practical purposes during the day. This was just thrown at me yesterday, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to have a good time there and still get the best Alabama game day experience possible during the Kentucky game in the afternoon.

I'd love to take my wife over to the game, but I don't have tickets. Do I dare drive over to Tuscaloosa and try to get tickets outside the stadium? The last time I did that was back in the 80's against Vanderbilt and I think I was able to get them for like $20 apiece just before kickoff. Any chance of that happening this year against Kentucky? Has anyone had any luck getting tickets this year outside the stadium - say for the Western Kentucky game?

If I decide to stay in Birmingham, what's the best hangout (preferably with great BBQ ribs) where my wife and I could watch the game? I live in Atlanta and we have 2 Dreamlands within 15 minutes of me, so - for something different - some other place would be preferable to Dreamland. I looked on a map and saw Golden Rule, Jim n' Nick's, Full Moon, Broadway, Demetri's, and a few others in that area.

Any suggestions for would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Birmingham is BBQ heaven. To me, Jim n Mick's is the best, and there is one in Homewood, just off I-65. I'm not sure about the TV, though. I'd call them to find out about that.

Jim-N-Nicks gets my vote....FOR SURE!!!!
I think you will have plenty of luck getting tickets at the game if you decide to go that route.
If for some reason you can't I'm sure there are plenty of ALABAMA fans that will let you pull up a chair and watch the game with them while tail-gating!!!

psychojoe said:
Birmingham is BBQ heaven. To me, Jim n Mick's is the best, and there is one in Homewood, just off I-65. I'm not sure about the TV, though. I'd call them to find out about that.

Thanks psychojoe. I called them and they have 3 TV's. Two of the flatscreens are like 37". :(

I did notice on their website that they have a location opening up less than a mile from where I live here at the Avenues of Forsyth. So, I'm sure I'll get a chance to sample their ribs whether or not we watch the game there this weekend.

Roll Tide!

crimsonpride said:
Jim-N-Nicks gets my vote....FOR SURE!!!!
I think you will have plenty of luck getting tickets at the game if you decide to go that route.
If for some reason you can't I'm sure there are plenty of ALABAMA fans that will let you pull up a chair and watch the game with them while tail-gating!!!

Good to hear. And, I guess you're right - even if I can't get tickets we could always hang out in the quad area and watch with the tail-gaters. Thanks for the suggestion!

Roll Tide!

Since you'll be in the Mountain Brook area, go to Gus's Hot Dogs. It's in Crestline Village near the elementary school. Get a cheeseburger with chili. mmm mmmm! There's a pancake joint in 5 Points which is good too.

I live near the 5 pts area and I would say you should try to make it a point to stop by and check it out. There is a jim n nicks, as well as some other good restaurants, shops, and other "areas of interest" around there.

Atlanta_Tider said:
IMO Full Moon is superior to Jim n Nicks, they are building one here in Canton too. I used to love Jim n Nicks back in the old location in Hoover, now the cue just is not the same.

I noticed Full Moon's has an expanded menu - at least the one in Tuscaloosa. How are their spare ribs?

dawgtree said:
I live near the 5 pts area and I would say you should try to make it a point to stop by and check it out. There is a jim n nicks, as well as some other good restaurants, shops, and other "areas of interest" around there.

I had an extended contract at BellSouth there in B'ham about 10 years ago. We frequented 5 points and had a great time. There was some white tablecloth Italian restaurant there that had the best steaks...can't remember the name.

I definitely think we'll hang out at 5 points for a while if we don'g go over to Tuscaloosa.

BTW - how do y'all like my new avatar and sig? I borrowed from the King on this one. It seems appropriate given the way we've been starting ball games this year - in a flash! And, faith, spirit, and discipline about sums it up!

AFF said:
Atlanta_Tider said:
IMO Full Moon is superior to Jim n Nicks, they are building one here in Canton too. I used to love Jim n Nicks back in the old location in Hoover, now the cue just is not the same.

I noticed Full Moon's has an expanded menu - at least the one in Tuscaloosa. How are their spare ribs?

Edible, but nothing that will make you want to hug anyone.

Porter and Atlanta Tider speak the truth. Full moon has good BBQ and you will be able to watch the games no problem. But their ribs aren't as good as dreamland. If you come to T-town you could go to Archibalds, but it is basically the same as Dreamland with a bit more vinegar base to their sauce. (thinner)

One thing to consider is coming down to T-town and try to get a ticket. If you are unable or if by some freak accident the tickets are too pricey....then you can cruise right down the road (McFarland Blvd) to Buffalo Wild Wings. They have lemedy million tv sets. You may not get all that hot of a BBQ, but you could get some BBQ wings and be surrounded by Bama folk as well.

I really don't think you will have a problem getting a ticket.

AFF said:
Atlanta_Tider said:

Better than anything at Jim N Nicks. I like Full Moons pork!

Back
Top Bottom