| FTBL Best Quarterback Alabama has ever had

Namath, Stabler, Sloan, Barker were all great field generals who could really energize their team when the game was on the line. All did very well as a starter in the w-l department.

For the combination of talent and leadership, though, I'd give Namath the edge, then Stabler, Barker, Sloan. Namath easily had the best arm, his biggest flaw was that he sometimes felt there was no coverage his arm could not beat.

I am proud to have seen all these guys play, and they all represented us magnificently.

rammajamma said:
Who do you think Alabama's best ever QB would be? My vote would be Jay Barker. But I really don't remember the Snake, Broadway Joe or Bart Starr. So what do you think?

Just to piss everyone off! :D :D
JOHN PARKER WILSON!!!

071020_JohnParkerWilson_vmed_2p.widec.jpg

psychojoe said:
Namath, Stabler, Sloan, Barker were all great field generals who could really energize their team when the game was on the line. All did very well as a starter in the w-l department.

For the combination of talent and leadership, though, I'd give Namath the edge, then Stabler, Barker, Sloan. Namath easily had the best arm, his biggest flaw was that he sometimes felt there was no coverage his arm could not beat.

I am proud to have seen all these guys play, and they all represented us magnificently.
I'm like you i saw all these guys play too. I agree with a lot of what you say however if Namath had had 2 good knees there's no telling what he could have done. What set Namath apart was his confidence in himself in what he could do on the field. He's the only man i ever saw that could throw a ball 70 yards standing flat footed, that is until i saw Dan Marino.

Stabler was a great one too but what set him apart was his ability to scramble until he could find an open receiver. It's to bad both these guys ended up in Coach Bryant's doghouse but if Namath hadn't got in trouble we never would have heard of Sloan.

the_rolltide said:
rammajamma said:
Who do you think Alabama's best ever QB would be? My vote would be Jay Barker. But I really don't remember the Snake, Broadway Joe or Bart Starr. So what do you think?

Just to piss everyone off! :D :D
JOHN PARKER WILSON!!!

071020_JohnParkerWilson_vmed_2p.widec.jpg

Judas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Brodie Croyle FTW! All things being perfect Brodie could get it done by leaps and bounds. Dudes arm is unreal. Don't know how you can have such a cannon and be so fragile at the same time.

According to my dad...

Trammel was the best ever. In my lifetime, 30 years, Bama hasn't had a real barnstormer. Just look at the Bama qbs in the NFL. In all the qbs defense though, we are tradionally a running team. That might soon change.

Okay, I'll throw out the name of Bart Starr since it seems to be omitted. I'll go with Namath first, Starr second with Stabler a close third. Maybe throw in a Jeff Rutledge, Don Jacobs and Steadman Sheely in the mix. Jay Barker is given too much credit IMO and was a winner because he played during the time we had what was arguably our best defensive team ever.

That's a tough one.

Bart Starr was a great pro QB winning the first 2 Super Bowls. But, he went a lousy 10-18-5 at Alabama and lost every game his senior year. No way he was the best.

Steadman Shealy started for one season, went 12-0, and won the national championship in '79. Gary Rutledge also started one season, went 11-1, and won the national championship in '73. But, since they both only started for one year, I don't think they should really be considered.

Steve Sloan started part of the '64 season when Namath got hurt and won 5 games that year. Then, he started and won the national championship in '65 and was also an All-American that year. Still, starting only 16 games (14-1-1), it's hard to argue that he was THE best, although he certainly deserves mention.

Snake Stabler started for 2 years going 19-2-1 and was All-American in 1967. Richard Todd went 22-2 as a starter. But, neither won a national championship as a starter.

Pat Trammell has a claim. He went 26-2-4 in 3 years and won the NC in '61. So does Jeff Rutledge who went 33-5 over 3 years and won the NC in '78.

Jay Barker went an incredible 35-2-1 in 3 seasons, won the national championship, and was All-American in '94. He is definitely one of the all-time great Bama QB's.

But, there's only one QB in Alabama history who won a national championship, was an All-American (1964), and won a Super Bowl (III). Joe Namath went a very respectable 21-3 at Alabama and, despite all of his fame during the 60's and 70's doing movies and commercials and about everything else in the media, "Broadway Joe" the original "Joe Cool" never got too big and famous to pay his respect to the Alabama program. He still never misses an opportunity to talk up the Tide and is actively involved in the program to this day. Ya gotta love the guy, even though he did screw up by trying to kiss the sideline babe on national TV a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom