bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

And here is a little something for those of you who have been yearning for a bluegrass fix . . . nice instrumental version of Little Maggie, featuring banjo picker Larry Wallace, who also played with the late, great Jimmy Martin and his Sunny Mountain Boys.

There's a couple of mighty fine mandolin and guitar licks in the clip, too. This is what I like to call "substance."

Little Maggie

I wish I could say that I discovered this band on my own, but truth is, I didn't. That's why I'm dedicating this post to Bama1966 aka Fred aka Kirk, who was the one who introduced me to this group. He saw these grass cats at Bonnaroo a week or so ago and called me up raving about them. Folks, Ol' 66 wasn't lying; these boys are for real!

Thanks bro, these dudes are like three or four genres all rolled into one. Talk about knowing how to get down on the farm, they really do!

Man, I've got to try to learn these mando licks!

Time for a little Railroad Earth jamming to their song, "Head."

Railroad Earth

Here RRE does a tune with more of an alternative country flavor to it:

"Elko"

BamaHeat said:

Thanks Heat. Boy that clip goes way back. I believe True Grit was released around 1969.

I liked Glenn Campebell's pre-"Rhinestone Cowboy" music, especially his take on a few Jimmy Webb songs. I consider Jimmy Webb one of America's best popular music songwriter/composers.

Jimmy Webb is responsible for writing numerous popular and Top 10 hits sung by a disparate group of artists, including Glen Campbell ("By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "Wichita Lineman", "Galveston"); Art Garfunkel ("All I Know"); Richard Harris and Donna Summer ("MacArthur Park"); The Fifth Dimension ("Up, Up and Away"); and The Highwaymen, consisting of Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson. In the early 70's The Three Degrees performed his "Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon" in the motion picture The French Connection. His most popular songs were all composed when he was between 19 and 21 years of age.

Heat, I know your clip is of the Johnny Cash Show, but I used to watch the Glenn Campbell Show for one reason--his sidekick, John Hartford.

Not only could Hartford play various string instruments, he could also write a good song. This one is his, though many folks associate it with Glen Campbell.

Gentle on my Mind

Here's a little tribute to JH:

Great Version of GOMM

This following group is also on a few of Factor's playlists. They is goooood and they is got a mandolin player. He's got a nice little solo around the 1:30 mark.

These boys can jam and play a little bit of everything, mostly in the vein of The Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Railroad Earth, and even Allman Brothers stuff.

Here they are joined by Honkytonk Homeslice.

Give these guys a real listen (more than just one or two of their songs). I have a feeling some of you Barners might just like 'em, especially some of you Barner guitarpickers. :D

New Monsoon playing a different version of "Stagger Lee"

Here's another piece from New Monsoon off stage and unplugged. You need to find a copy of this song off their Live at Telluride Bluegrass Festivealbum. The mando on that version really sets this song off, but this acoustic version does just fine.

Blue Queen

Don't let the moboogie intro fool you.

Re: Home & Jethro Medley

It Takes Eleven said:
I can't promise that this one hasn't been up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWRtzv9hBBk

:lol: Those lyrics crack me up, Tim. :lol:

Ol' Homer and Jethro . . . what a duo. Seriously, the mandolin player, Jethro Burns, was considered a world-class musician and mandolin teacher besides doing his country comedy routine He was and still is a very well-respected personality in the mandolin community. One heck of a jazz mandolinist, that Jethro.

Don't hold me to this, but I believe that Sam Bush's infamous mandolin, "Hoss," may have been originally owned by Ken "Jethro" Burns. I recall hearing Sam Bush talk about driving somewhere up north, to Chicago maybe, from Bowling Green, Kentucky, to pick the mandolin up, then driving back in time to make a gig. Like I said, memory is failing me on the story's details, so I may be off a bit.

Anyway, here's a couple of brief bios on Jethro Burns:

http://www.melbay.com/authors.asp?author=284

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_C._Burns

Homer and Jethro also made, "Oooh, that's corny," a household phrase as stars of Kellogg's Corn Flakes "Corny" Radio Campaign.

Here are a few "Cornfucius Says" jokes from that program:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/jokebook.html

Back
Top Bottom