bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

I liked that James Gang clip, GS. Funk 49 is a killer song. The cover was pretty cool as well, but like you said, what is that squaw girl doing? :lol: :lol:

Also, that clip of Pete Townsend playing the mando is pretty awesome too. Cool stuff ;tr

moreno_iv said:
I liked that James Gang clip, GS. Funk 49 is a killer song. The cover was pretty cool as well, but like you said, what is that squaw girl doing? :lol: :lol:

Also, that clip of Pete Townsend playing the mando is pretty awesome too. Cool stuff ;tr

I was afraid that she might try to do lewd things with that corn shaker. Did you notice the vultures posting and asking who she was? :lol:

Yep, I've always like Joe Walsh, not only can the dude play, he has a sense of humor to go along with it.

I actually like the mando PT was playing. A couple of years ago, I was looking at a Lestock JazzBo mandolin that was somewhat similar.

Hybrids and Other Models

Bama1966 said:
Awesome Factor!!! Thanks for those links.

I ran across this, nothing with a Mando or Banjo, but got some "Killer" "Fat" "Ray" Tunes! These three musicians are some of the greats for sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7jmqdfYys&mode=related&search=

Well, the piano is a string instrument, right? That is some tight stuff, 66!

My parents had everything that Ray Charles recorded.

And everytime I see the "Killer," I can't help but think about Ferriday, Louisiana, which we travel though quite often on our way to my wife's hometown. I'm simply amazed to think of the personalities that have come from such a small town.

In fact, Ferriday claims to have produced more famous people per square mile than any other American small town. Ferriday is the site of the Delta Music Museum and the birthplace of three piano-playing cousins, rock and roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis, country music star Mickey Gilley and evangelist Jimmy Lee Swaggart, as well as Lewis's piano-playing sister, Linda Gail Lewis. Other Ferriday natives include journalist Howard K. Smith, Hollywood hostess Ann Boyar Warner (Mrs. Jack Warner), trombonist Peewee Whittaker, General Claire Chennault of Flying Tigers fame and NBC Washington correspondent Campbell Brown, co-host of Weekend Today, and a daughter of former Louisiana state senator, secretary of state, and insurance commissioner James H. "Jim" Brown. Two other political figures from Ferriday who acquired statewide recognition were the late Superintendent of Education Shelby M. Jackson and former state Senator Daniel Wesley "Dan" Richey.

Ferriday is also the birthplace of agribusiness entrepreneur Pete Vegas, who eventually earned an MBA degree from Harvard Business School. In 1998, when his employer went into bankruptcy, he spun out a subsidiary into his own company in Los Angeles, Sage V Foods (Vegas spelled backwards). Sage V Foods is now one of the largest suppliers of rice flour to American businesses (most non-McDonalds french fries contain Sage V rice flour), and one of the largest suppliers of frozen rice to American consumers.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off on a tangent. Now back to the clip you posted, did you recognize the old Rolling Stone guitarist, Ron Wood?

I do like their version of "Jambalaya" at the end of the clip.

Gosh this is gonna be a hard act to follow, Banjo Man. . . .

I like all three of those musicians, I am partial to Ray Charles, The Killer is what Rock and Roll is about, and Fats smile is addictive. I was a young buck the first time I heard Fats play, "Blueberry Hill". I must of repeated "I found my thrill on Blueberry hill" until my mom told me to cool it.

Interesting stuff on Ferriday, Louisiana. Thanks for sharing.

Some time tomorrow I will take a picture of my Banjo for you, I will do my best Scruggs impression. :lol: I still pick it up from time to time, but have been real busy here of late.

Well this ain't mando or banjo either, but I have heard this song played on both instruments. Still it is hard to top this version:

Mississippi Fred McDowell - John Henry

The Ballad of John Henry-Clawhammer style

And keeping with the John Henry theme, here's a little something different from Finland way. In fact, the audience gets a little introduction and history on John Henry in Finnish. This dude can get down on a mando, though!

Jussi Syren & The Groundbreakers - Life Of A Steel Driving Man

And here is "John Henry" amped into a more contemporary version yet still slightly grounded in its roots.

Bruce Springsteen and The Seeger Sessions

Bama1966 said:
I like all three of those musicians, I am partial to Ray Charles, The Killer is what Rock and Roll is about, and Fats smile is addictive. I was a young buck the first time I heard Fats play, "Blueberry Hill". I must of repeated "I found my thrill on Blueberry hill" until my mom told me to cool it.

Interesting stuff on Ferriday, Louisiana. Thanks for sharing.

Some time tomorrow I will take a picture of my Banjo for you, I will do my best Scruggs impression. :lol: I still pick it up from time to time, but have been real busy here of late.

Do you mean a still photo or are you gonna YouTube us a performance?

Looking forward to it, regardless. 8)

Bama1966 said:
Still photo, I aint touching a Video just yet. I dont want to have my performance turn into the laughing stock of RTB. Heck the Photo might do it as well. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I got a corn cob pipe you can use if you need it?

ccpip.jpg

Btw 66, I'm expecting you to be dressed the part like these two professional banjo players:

Lil' Liza Jane

Night Train to Memphis

Here's a clip of one of my favorite songs covered by Flynn, O'Brien, Cowan & Friends. Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas are in there somewhere too. Sounds like a pretty good lineup if you ask me!

I remember watching a DVD of "The Last Waltz" from The Band and hearing this song for the first time. My favorite line is this one:

"I don't have to speak she defends me
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"

Yes, it's the old standyby, "Up On Cripple Creek". Check out this clip. There's some fiddlin', some pickin', some lap guitar, and of course some mando!

Up On Cripple Creek

moreno_iv said:
Here's a clip of one of my favorite songs covered by Flynn, O'Brien, Cowan & Friends. Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas are in there somewhere too. Sounds like a pretty good lineup if you ask me!

I remember watching a DVD of "The Last Waltz" from The Band and hearing this song for the first time. My favorite line is this one:

"I don't have to speak she defends me
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one"

Yes, it's the old standyby, "Up On Cripple Creek". Check out this clip. There's some fiddlin', some pickin', some lap guitar, and of course some mando!

Up On Cripple Creek

Great clip, Stephen. Well, I was listening to "Up on Cripple Creek" before The Last Waltz was released as an album.

Thanks for the bluegrass version and, boy, was that an all-star lineup. But in the end, no one sings that song like Levon!

The Band live 1970

Gosh, I wish I could find a clip of The Band doing "Rag Mama Rag."

I'm gonna let this next video speak for itself. I will say this much, though. Be sure to watch this clip all the way through. There's a surprise at the end.

Stephen, don't be trying this on the upright bass. Wouldn't want you to get a hernia. :lol:

Bluegrass 45

Rice, very rice! :wink:

bear facts said:
I'm gonna let this next video speak for itself. I will say this much, though. Be sure to watch this clip all the way through. There's a surprise at the end.

Stephen, don't be trying this on the upright bass. Wouldn't want you to get a hernia. :lol:

Bluegrass 45

Rice, very rice! :wink:

Crazy Japanese kids! I wonder how rong they had to practice that to get it right? Arso, I'd rike to think that I courd pick up a bass rike that, but I honestry don't know if I courd. :wink:

Props to those guys for being such great showman!

moreno_iv said:
Crazy Japanese kids! I wonder how rong they had to practice that to get it right? Arso, I'd rike to think that I courd pick up a bass rike that, but I honestry don't know if I courd. :wink:

Props to those guys for being such great showman!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just imagine them trying to sing "Wocky Top." :D

On Tuesday nights, a local bar called Pat's Place always has live music and it's something of a tradition for our crew to go up there, have some dinner, shoot some pool, knock a few back and enjoy the music. Such was the case last night, so we made the trip.

I didn't know what band was playing before we got there, but when we arrived, imagine my delight when I noticed that the 4 man string band had an acoustic guitar, an acoustic bass, a banjo and a MANDOLIN!

The name of their band is the Evergreen Family Band, and they are pretty good. I talked to the bass player after the show and he told me that the mandolin player hadn't been playing that long, but I never would've guessed that. He was ripping that thing to pieces! They played mostly traditional pieces, but of course I really can't remember a single song name to tell y'all about. They did sing that song that goes "Hello my darlin', hello my baby, hello my ragtime girl...." You know, that song the frog sings on that Looney Tunes cartoon? :lol:

Anyway, I enjoyed their playing and I looked up their MySpace page so you guys can have a look at them too.

Evergreen Family Band

And here is Pat's Place website:

Pat's Place

There aren't any videos of their MySpace page, but there are some tracks you can listen to, so check 'em out! And, if you look hard enough on Pat's website, you might even find a picture of little ole me!

Dear Esteemed Bear Facts,

My brother you are approaching the hallowed 5,000 posts!

We all should chip in to get you one of those posters of CN$ with the ghost of Bear Bryant against the Goal Post...

Congrats on having the time in your life to post the remarkable pieces that you do for everyone's enjoyment...

Best wishes...

moreno_iv said:
On Tuesday nights, a local bar called Pat's Place always has live music and it's something of a tradition for our crew to go up there, have some dinner, shoot some pool, knock a few back and enjoy the music. Such was the case last night, so we made the trip.

I didn't know what band was playing before we got there, but when we arrived, imagine my delight when I noticed that the 4 man string band had an acoustic guitar, an acoustic bass, a banjo and a MANDOLIN!

The name of their band is the Evergreen Family Band, and they are pretty good. I talked to the bass player after the show and he told me that the mandolin player hadn't been playing that long, but I never would've guessed that. He was ripping that thing to pieces! They played mostly traditional pieces, but of course I really can't remember a single song name to tell y'all about. They did sing that song that goes "Hello my darlin', hello my baby, hello my ragtime girl...." You know, that song the frog sings on that Looney Tunes cartoon? :lol:

Anyway, I enjoyed their playing and I looked up their MySpace page so you guys can have a look at them too.

Evergreen Family Band

And here is Pat's Place website:

Pat's Place

There aren't any videos of their MySpace page, but there are some tracks you can listen to, so check 'em out! And, if you look hard enough on Pat's website, you might even find a picture of little ole me!

Hey Stephen, I did check out the Evergreen Family Band's at myspace.com. The guys hold their own that's for sure. I like their rendition of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." The tempo actually sounded pretty good not to hear it at breakneck speed for a change, and even though it is a banjo tune, I like how the band allowed both the mando & guitar players to have leads as well. "Cumberland Gap" gets a Factor's seal of approval, also.

Man, I can't belive you are gonna send us on a scavenger hunt for that photo of you at Pat's Place. Do you realize how many pics are posted at that site? That's cruel, bro. From the looks of the site, I can see why you would want to hang out there.

Well, it's been a piece since I last post, so I thought I first would front a trio of vids from a now defunct group, Bad Livers, which was good at stretching the limits of bluegrass, especially when it came to subject matter. In fact, one of my favorite songs is "How Dark My Shadow's Grown" from their Dust on the Bible album, a very "dark" gospel song. Go to iTunes and sample some of their stuff.

"Lathe Crick"

"Turpentine Wille"

And here's a twist to a bluegrass standard:

"Foggy Mountain Rhumba"

Even though the Bad Livers have finally quit functioning, Danny Barnes continues to play on. Here he is with Chuck Leavell of Allman Brothers and Sea Level fame:

"Things I Done Wrong"

We all probably can relate to this last song.

Referee said:
Dear Esteemed Bear Facts,

My brother you are approaching the hallowed 5,000 posts!

We all should chip in to get you one of those posters of CN$ with the ghost of Bear Bryant against the Goal Post...

Congrats on having the time in your life to post the remarkable pieces that you do for everyone's enjoyment...

Best wishes...

Well Ref, for a referee you are very observant. I hadn't even noticed that I was approaching the milestone of a 5,000th post. Gosh, it seems like only yesterday, I was following Po'chop, Porter, and Bama1966 to this site.

Thanks for the thought. Glad to see another face post on this thread.

Let's see what Factor can drag up for our South Beach connection.

Btw, I think Robby here has had his face in the snow a little too long:

"Beer For My Horse"

I apolgize for the quality of the video but the talent makes up for it. Besides, anyone, who sings a little "Folsom Prison Blues," can't be all that bad.

Back
Top Bottom