bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

ROLL TIDE FOREVER AMEN said:

Hey RTFA, thanks for adding this clip to the thread. I was just able to view this on rammerjammer's post yesterday. Gosh to be able to be to play an instrument like that would be so satisfying though I'm happy just to pluck along.

Here is a clip of the late Michael Hedges doing some drifting and playing of his own.

I ain't gonna lie; I did shed of tear the day I learned of his accident. His talent was extraordinary.

Aerial Boundaries

I've been searching for a good Charlie Waller clip, and lo & behold the bluegrass angel delivers. This piece also happens to be one of Factor's favorite bg ballads. The late CW had one special voice, and the harmonies of the original Country Gentlemen are also worth a listen.

Dark as a Dungeon

Man, that guitar drifitng is something amazing :shock:

And, I have to say that I love it!!! I like how he incorporates some percussion with his playing. I have experimented with slapping the body of my guitar when playing it, but I never came close to achieving the results this guy gets!

Does he have the guitar in some kind of open tuning? It sound like he's in an open D tuning, but it's hard to tell. Cool stuff. I think I'm gonna see about learning how to play like that.

I also like that Michael Hedges clip, BF. That guy looks like a real free spirit, doesn't he? His playing reflects that too.

moreno_iv said:

Man, that guitar drifitng is something amazing :shock:

And, I have to say that I love it!!! I like how he incorporates some percussion with his playing. I have experimented with slapping the body of my guitar when playing it, but I never came close to achieving the results this guy gets!

Does he have the guitar in some kind of open tuning? It sound like he's in an open D tuning, but it's hard to tell. Cool stuff. I think I'm gonna see about learning how to play like that.

I also like that Michael Hedges clip, BF. That guy looks like a real free spirit, doesn't he? His playing reflects that too.

SM, I wish I could answer your question about the open D tuning but I'm not a guitar picker. You might ask kudzu, rammerjammer, BamaSon25, or 37; I believe all those guys play guitar.

Btw, I am eventually gonna convert you to playing a little acoustic bluegrass & Americana.

Here's your first lesson, featuring a great little bg number that is synonymous with Ralph Stanley and his band. Be sure that you watch the entire clip because he breaks this tune down to beginning speed.

Clinch Mountain Backstep - guitar solo and slower version

And just to let you know that I was also thinking of you, banjoman, I have included a brief banjer version for you. Too bad that I cannot find a full version of this clip. That Steve Sparkman can flat-out get down and play.

Clinch Mountain Backstep - banjo intro

Okay, I'm posting this next clip even though two songs got mixed together but I just wanted everyone to check out Jerry Douglas' intro to "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn." You won't find that version on AKUS' cd New Favorite, which is an awesome contemporary bluegrass recording.

If y'all ever get a chance to go to an Allison Krauss & Union Station concert, don't miss it. I saw them last St. Patrick's Day in Monroe, Louisiana, and got more than my money's worth. They sounded so good at times that it actually raised the hair on my neck, and Factor ain't exaggerating.

Gonna double your listening and viewing pleasure; do enjoy!

"Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn / Take Me for Longing"

They also do a fine version of Little Feat's "Oh Atlanta"

I love it when I come across bluegrass covers of popular rock songs. I get some double delight posting these clips 'cause Joe Walsh and James Gang are personal favorites and could down right get down!

First the original:

Funk 49

Gosh, Factor wishes it was 1972 all over again.

Now here is a little bluegrass twist to that James Gang classic. Next thing you know this bluegrass group will be doing Smoky Mountain Way.

Bluegrass 49

Still trying to figure out what the Indian squaw with the ear of corn is doing in this clip. :? :lol:

Bama1966 said:
Good stuff Factor, I really like the James Gang also. Did you see Barbara Bush jamming in that video with Joe Walsh. :shock: :lol: :lol: JK It looked like her though. :?

Dang Kirk, I bet our music libraries look a lot alike. Funny that you mention that old lady looking like Barbara Bush because the late ex-Govenor Richardson of Texas was the first person that came to my mind when I saw that lady. :D

I don't know if you caught the old man in the crowd, too. :lol:

Speaking of old, take a look at this vintage clip, folks. Is there anyone in the congregation who can shake a leg like this?

Bluegrass Roots

bear facts said:
Bama1966 said:
Good stuff Factor, I really like the James Gang also. Did you see Barbara Bush jamming in that video with Joe Walsh. :shock: :lol: :lol: JK It looked like her though. :?

Dang Kirk, i bet our music library looks a lot alike. Funny that you mention that old lady looking like Barbara Bush, the late ex-Govenor Richardson of Texas was the first person that came to mind when I caught a glance at that lady. :D

Speaking of old, take a look at this vintage clip, folks. Is there anyone in the congregation who can shake a leg like this?

Bluegrass Roots

I tried shaking a leg, blew out my ACL though. :shock: :D

Bama1966 said:
bear facts said:
Bama1966 said:

Dang Kirk, i bet our music library looks a lot alike. Funny that you mention that old lady looking like Barbara Bush, the late ex-Govenor Richardson of Texas was the first person that came to mind when I caught a glance at that lady. :D

Bluegrass Roots

I tried shaking a leg, blew out my ACL though. :shock: :D

I used to could buck dance and possum stomp a little in my Bama days. I would head down to Lee's Tomb whenever a bluegrass band would come to T-Town. Also ended up splitting my chin wide open and having stitches when I slipped on some spilled beer while buck dancing at a keg party.

'Bout the only time I can do it now is if I have a little Wild Turkey to loosen the legs up first.

Heck Kirk, I bet you could buck dance circles around this poser! :D

Buck Dancing

Bama1966 said:
Flatt and Scruggs doing the Randy Lynn Rag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiqpk4aX828

Check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCYCCuJLIaA&mode=related&search=

One guess who the kid is. :D

Kirk, IMO, Earl Scruggs is the greatest banjo picker of all time. He was (in his younger days) and still is amazing to watch because picking seems so effortlessly for him.

Yep, it was evident from those early clips that Ricky Skagg was destined to be a big bluegrass and country music entertainer.

I really like Earl Scruggs and Billy Bob Thorton's version of Ring of Fire (Sling Blade edit).

Listen to that banjo calling folks home.

Back
Top Bottom