bear facts mando clip of the week (any genre)

Okay, it's equal time for the mandolin rockers.

These next clips feature, IMO, one of the most underrated rock and blue guitarist of the 70's and early 80's. In fact, Clapton credits this individual for getting him back into the blues.

The first clip highlights the late Irish rocker on his Martin Mandolin. I apologize for the poor audio/video quality but this piece is still worth a watch. You might have to turn the volume up to fully appreciate this clip.

Rory Gallagher strumming a little "Going to My Hometown"

And to truly showcase this amazing musician's talent, I decided to include this second clip, featuring the gentleman on guitar. Warning! You may need to turn down the volume just a bit.

Rory Gallagher doing "Bullfrog Blues"

Here's a nice bio on Gallagher, and I don't mean the watermelon smashing comedian, either.

Rory Gallagher bio and instrument info

Enjoy!

Oh what the heck, let's go for one more:

Rory Gallagher doing "Cradle Rock"

No offense, you whippersnappers, but some of these new groups could learn a thing or two from the likes of Rory and a few others from this time period.

Bama1966 said:
I saw Rory Gallagher on tour with Rush. He was very good. Very good indeed Factor! He is from the same place my ancestors are from, Donegal Ireland.

That's cool, Kirk. Had Rory's health began to ail him when you saw him?

Maybe you'll get to see one or two of these sites when you visit:

# On 25 October 1997 a tribute sculpture to Gallagher was unveiled in the newly renamed Rory Gallagher Place (formerly St. Paul's St. Square) in Cork. The sculptor was a childhood friend of Rory, Geraldine Creedon. The two had grown up together in the McCurtain Street area of the city.

# A pub in Cork City at 32 McCurtain Street was named "Gallaghers" in his memory.

# There is a Rory Gallagher Exhibition located in Ballyshannon, Ireland which contains a detailed history of his life and many items of memorabilia.

# There are a number of Rory Gallagher tribute bands, many of whom perform at the Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival in Ballyshannon.

# A theatre in Ballyshannon has been renamed as the Rory Gallagher Theatre.

# There is a Rory Gallagher Corner at Meeting House Square in Temple Bar, Dublin.

# A life-size bronze statue in the shape of his Stratocaster has been installed at Rory Gallagher Corner in Dublin's Temple Bar. Some of those who attended the unveiling include The Edge of U2 and the Lord Mayor of Dublin.

# In 2004 the Rory Gallagher Music Library was opened in Cork.

bear facts said:
Bama1966 said:
I saw Rory Gallagher on tour with Rush. He was very good. Very good indeed Factor! He is from the same place my ancestors are from, Donegal Ireland.

That's cool, Kirk. Had Rory's health began to ail him when you saw him?

Maybe you'll get to see one or two of these sites when you visit:

# On 25 October 1997 a tribute sculpture to Gallagher was unveiled in the newly renamed Rory Gallagher Place (formerly St. Paul's St. Square) in Cork. The sculptor was a childhood friend of Rory, Geraldine Creedon. The two had grown up together in the McCurtain Street area of the city.

# A pub in Cork City at 32 McCurtain Street was named "Gallaghers" in his memory.

# There is a Rory Gallagher Exhibition located in Ballyshannon, Ireland which contains a detailed history of his life and many items of memorabilia.

# There are a number of Rory Gallagher tribute bands, many of whom perform at the Rory Gallagher International Tribute Festival in Ballyshannon.

# A theatre in Ballyshannon has been renamed as the Rory Gallagher Theatre.

# There is a Rory Gallagher Corner at Meeting House Square in Temple Bar, Dublin.

# A life-size bronze statue in the shape of his Stratocaster has been installed at Rory Gallagher Corner in Dublin's Temple Bar. Some of those who attended the unveiling include The Edge of U2 and the Lord Mayor of Dublin.

# In 2004 the Rory Gallagher Music Library was opened in Cork.

It was in the early 80's when I saw him. I am wanting to say 81 or 82, I think it was Rush's Signals tour. I didn't notice any flaws in the man. Of course before I went to that concert I never heard of him. Afterwards I was well versed on the man. He kicked arse.

Sorry that I haven't posted any mando clips these past four weeks, but August was a fairly blue month for ol' Factor. With fall coming on, I'm starting to feel like my old self again.

Thought I would entertain y'all with one of my favorite bluegrass numbers: "Shady Grove."

There are slew-full of versions of this song with my top choices coming off The Pizza Tapes by Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, and Tony Rice and a similar rendition by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman on a great acoustic cd entitled Shady Grove.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a video clip of either performance, so we'll have to settle for this number by a good little group called DTR.

Shady Grove

Well, I was should have been mowing the grass an hour ago, but instead I've been listening to Bluegrass every since I clicked onto this thread. Of course, that beats the hell out of yardwork any day :D .

Facts, I gotta hand it to you, you've got superb taste in music, my man. This is actually the first time that I've checked out this thread, but it will be a daily click from now on. Keep up the good work, and I hope you will accept my humble contribution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkAf9ZOqxQ

Wiseace, I guess you've got that grass cut by now, but I sure do appreciate the post and the perfect offering of Jim & Jesse. That's a great song, which I had not seen on YouTube before. Lot a truth in them lyrics, too! Very good selection, indeed.

Btw, did you notice the backing musicians? Talk about an all star cast!

I believe you probably already have discovered that this site is not only home to some passionate Crimson Tide fans but is also a hangout for all kinds of music lovers and even a few pickers, too.

Feel free to post more "humble contributions" whenever you get an hankering. Btw, I've never gotten to officially welcome you to the board; glad to have you around. Ive enjoyed your sense of humor and one liners.

I'll leave you with a little diddy I like to listen to right around dusk after I've gotten the yard cut and I'm settling back on the sun deck enjoying a cold refreshment or two.

I've introduced both Mike Compton and David Long to this thread before, but they are always worth another listen.

Mike, who provides the intro here, is originally from Meridian, home of the great Jimmie Rodgers, Father of Country Music (not to be confused with the talented blues musician Jimmy Rogers of Ruleville, Mississippi, and late member of Muddy Water's Band back in the 50's).

I always like to hear Mr. Monroe or Frank Wakefield play this number, and the way they could reach one's soul.

Evening Prayer Blues

I appreciate the welcome, Facts and I appreciate that Evening Prayer. I gotta admit, if I wasn't so dang manly that one would get me kind of misty :wink: . BTW that cold beverage you're enjoying while listening to that song doesn't come out of a Mason jar, does it? :D

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the Jim and Jesse clip. Any song who's first line talks about the beauty of Alabama has to be pretty good. The one I was originally looking for was their version of Paradise. I couldn't find it, but I did find this clip of John Prine, who actually wrote the song. Now, this clip also features another song by him called Donald and Lydia which is pretty good. Still, Paradise just strikes a deeper chord with me.

Hope you enjoy and I look forward to more of your posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qNvza2qmLs&mode=related&search=

wiseace, John Prine rates very high on my list of story songwriters. I've listened to his music as a source of inspiration on more than one occasion.

I really enjoyed the short interview/narrative between songs off your "Paradise" clip, too. Thanks! Always like hearing the stories behind the songs as well.

Here's probably one of my favorite Prine's standards. Of course, Bonnie Raitt is usually associated with this song.

I've got a downloaded Prine version, which has a nice mandolin accompaniment that I like to play along to, but it's just John and his guitar here.

"Angel from Montgomery"

Here's a version by Bonnie that I like very much. It's as if Prine wrote this song for Bonnie's voice, which we know was not the case. I looked for Raitt and Prine's duet version of this tune but couldn't find it. Oh well, this will do:

Raitt's "Angel from Montgomery"

BTW, that refreshment isn't homemade but is, indeed, usually served in a Mason jar around here. Once had one of our children's friends ask us if we ever used glasses when he was handed a Mason jar of lemonade.

This is one of those occasions where I will post a clip that's not mandolin related, though I can peck this tune out.

Anyway, this clip reminds me of my days in Tuscaloosa when I would find myself downtown at Lee's Tomb and the Wild Turkey or George Dickel would start kicking in and that drivin' bluegrass music would take over my body and make me start buck-dancing like a hillbilly possessed. :D

Stanley Brothers and Clinch Mountain Boys

Folks, this month we will be celebrating the first year anniversary of this thread becoming a "sticky."

I have been saving this gem of a clip for a special occasion like this, especially since this footage is very special in itself.

In the true, blue tradition of that

High and Lonesome Sound

Okay, y'all are in for a special treat. Just discovered that some recent Frank Wakefield clips have been added to YouTube. FW played with Bill Monroe in his younger days and has continued to carry on the tradition, along with Mike Compton, of playing Monroe-style mandolin.

What really makes me pleased to see this video is that Frank was not in the best of health last spring. Looks like he is feelin' mighty spry here.

Wanted to also showcase something up tempo as we head into the Third Saturday in October. Besides, this here song sounds a helluva lot better than "Rocky Top."

First, a little background on this clip: Frank Wakefield ran into some old friends, who were playing at Bill Monroe's childhood home in Rosine, Kentucky, and decided to join them.

Frank Wakefield, Campbell Mercer and Skip Gorman on mandolin, Wayne Lewis and Joe Isaacs on guitar. This was part of the weekend activities for the Monroe style mandolin camp put on by The International Bluegrass Music museum in Owensboro, Kentucky. Frank was a teacher at the mandolin camp.

"Bluegrass Special"

Okay, time to pick up the pace even more. Factor's been trying to learn this one himself, though he's about half the speed and a few phantom notes. :wink:

"Pike County Breakdown"

Now here's another version of "Pike County Breakdown" performed by the Hillbilly Gypsies. And though these guys look like they might be from around Knoxville, they are actually a few hollers (hollows) to the east up in West Virginny.

"Pike County Breakdown" in overdrive

Now before anyone accuses me of hijacking Factor's thread, let me say that he did give me permission :wink: . A couple of weeks ago I asked him if he was familiar with this artist and he suggested that, since I found the video clips then I should be the one who posts them. Now, I don't pretend to have the posting abilities that the old Factor has, but I'll do my best.

The artist I'm featuring in this post is a little lady named Sierra Hull. She is a young musician from Tennessee, who started playing the mandolin at age 8. She quickly mastered both it and the guitar and currently plays with her band HWY 111, which includes: 17-year old Cory Walker (banjo/guitar) who has appeared on the Grand Ole Opry, as well a network television special with Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs, and Kix Brooks; and Grammy-winner Clay Hess (guitar/harmony vocals), who is known for his work with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder. She released an independent album entitled Angel Mountain when she was ten and is currently working on an album to be released sometime 2008, that is being produced by Ron Block of Union Station. The album features guest appearances by Alison Krauss, Jerry Douglas and Tony Rice. If you would like to see more about her, or any of her upcoming performances, check out her web site: www.sierrahull.com .

Now for the clips. I'm going to start with one of her early performances with Allison Krauss and follow it with some of her more recent work.

Cluck 'Ol Hen w/Allison Krauss and Union Station

Clear the Tracks w/ Hwy 111

Some more good pickin' with Hwy 111

And I have to include a couple of guitar clips:

Roanoke

Cherokee Maggie

Well, there you go folks. I hope that you enjoyed them and I also hope that, if given the chance you'll check out a Bluegrass Festival some time. If you like good music and a layed back atmosphere you can't beat 'em. You also get a chance to listen to some of the best musicians you've never heard of :wink: . Anyway, hope ya'll have a good weekend, and Factor I hope I did the thread justice.

Wiseace615 said:
Now before anyone accuses me of hijacking Factor's thread, let me say that he did give me permission :wink: . A couple of weeks ago I asked him if he was familiar with this artist and he suggested that, since I found the video clips then I should be the one who posts them. Now, I don't pretend to have the posting abilities that the old Factor has, but I'll do my best.

The artist I'm featuring in this post is a little lady named Sierra Hull. She is a young musician from Tennessee, who started playing the mandolin at age 8. She quickly mastered both it and the guitar and currently plays with her band HWY 111, which includes: 17-year old Cory Walker (banjo/guitar) who has appeared on the Grand Ole Opry, as well a network television special with Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs, and Kix Brooks; and Grammy-winner Clay Hess (guitar/harmony vocals), who is known for his work with Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder. She released an independent album entitled Angel Mountain when she was ten and is currently working on an album to be released sometime 2008, that is being produced by Ron Block of Union Station. The album features guest appearances by Alison Krauss, Jerry Douglas and Tony Rice. If you would like to see more about her, or any of her upcoming performances, check out her web site: www.sierrahull.com .

Now for the clips. I'm going to start with one of her early performances with Allison Krauss and follow it with some of her more recent work.

Cluck 'Ol Hen w/Allison Krauss and Union Station

Clear the Tracks w/ Hwy 111

Some more good pickin' with Hwy 111

And I have to include a couple of guitar clips:

Roanoke

Cherokee Maggie

Well, there you go folks. I hope that you enjoyed them and I also hope that, if given the chance you'll check out a Bluegrass Festival some time. If you like good music and a layed back atmosphere you can't beat 'em. You also get a chance to listen to some of the best musicians you've never heard of :wink: . Anyway, hope ya'll have a good weekend, and Factor I hope I did the thread justice.

Wiseace, thank you for some great bluegrass clips of a very talented young lady. Sierra looks to be really carving her niche in the bluegrass circles. I remember seeing her four or five years ago on Woodsongs[/1] when she was called up from the audience to play a duet with Sam Bush. I knew then, this little girl was gonna end up making her own mark one day.

I also want to tip my hat to you for the background information you have provided. It really adds to the listening/viewing experience of the video. And I do wish some folks unfamiliar to the bluegrass festival experience would take you up on your advice. They, indeed, are a good time and a great way to relax.

Mrs. Factor is not really a bluegrass listener, but the first time she attended a bluegrass festival, she had a great time and started to view the music and culture a little differently.

Again, thanks for taking the time to make this post. I always enjoy when others feel like adding their comments and clips to this thread. I enjoy meeting others who also have an appreciate for bluegrass and acoustic folk music.

Wow! I did not know that little Miss Hull could play a guitar like that. I am even more amazed at her talent now. Unless you have attempted to play an instrument, I do not believe some people really understand how difficult it is to be able to play like that, especially bluegrass music.

I find it rather ironic that a music genre that many individuals equate to uneducated hillbillies, hayseeds, and hicks is actually a very difficult music to play in such an accomplished manner.

Seeing Sierra play with Allison Krauss really gets me missing Adam Steffey as part of the Union Station. I think everyone in that group are top notch with their instruments and vocals, but for me the group's sound was more complete when they had Steffey's mandolin providing the "chop" to their arrangements.

I would love to see the AKUS include a mandolin player again.

Clayton, those last two numbers with Sierra picking some bluegrass guitar keeps me wanting to hear some more.

I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce the following respected guitar flatpicker, and there are some very good ones, indeed, in the field of bluegrass and acoustic folk music. Let's put the mandolin aside right now and take a look at some of them. Norman Blake is a good start:

Norman Blake (born March 10, 1938 in Chattanooga, Tennessee) is a Grammy-nominated instrumentalist, vocalist, and songwriter who has played in a number of folk and bluegrass groups.

When Norman was one year old, his family moved to Sulphur Springs, Georgia where he was raised.

Although known as one of the most prominent acoustic guitar flatpickers, Norman Blake is a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist. Other instruments he plays include the mandolin, 6-string banjo, fiddle, dobro and banjo.

Blake is best known for his work with John Hartford, Tony Rice, and his wife, Nancy Blake. He has played backup for Johnny Cash, June Carter, Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Ralph Stanley, and Joan Baez. Blake also played on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken. From 1969 to 1971 he was a regular on ABC's The Johnny Cash Show, supplementing Cash's band the Tennessee Three.

Blake is listed in the credits of the Bob Dylan album Nashville Skyline and the Johnny Cash album Orange Blossom Special. He was featured on the multi-platinum O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack, which ignited new interest in bluegrass music and won a Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 2002. Blake participated in the "Down from the Mountain" tour which resulted.

Most of the music that Norman Blake plays could be described as neo-traditionalist Americana folk and roots music (folk, bluegrass, country, blues), and many of the songs he plays are traditional, but he plays this acoustic type of music with a style, speed, and quality that has evolved and progressed in the modern age. Though probably best known for his fluid renditions of classic fiddle tunes transcribed for the guitar, Blake has also written songs that have become bluegrass standards, such as "Ginseng Sullivan" from Back Home in Sulphur Springs, "Slow Train through Georgia", and "Church Street Blues".

Blake has produced 32 albums and has recorded on the Rounder, Flying Fish, Country, Takoma, Shanachie, Western Jubilee, Red House, and Plectrafone labels.

"Nashville Blues" by Norman Blake

bear facts said:
Folks, this month we will be celebrating the first year anniversary of this thread becoming a "sticky."

I have been saving this gem of a clip for a special occasion like this, especially since this footage is very special in itself.

In the true, blue tradition of that

High and Lonesome Sound

Greg, I haven't contributed to this thread in quite some time and I am disappointed in myself about that. However, this clip caught my attention when I saw Jerry Garcia talking about wanting to be a bluegrass dude.

It's actually kinda weird because in the band I'm currently a part of (Fat Jackson), the main song writer and lead guitarist can play the hell out of the lead, but he tends to lean towards a bluegrass sound when he writes. You can tell he is strongly influenced by Jerry Garcia and not just the Grateful Dead.

The bluegrass/mandolin influence is evident in many Dead songs. In fact, here is a recording of a song by the Dead called "I Know You Rider" from 1972.

I Know You Rider

You have to really listen to it, but it's there.

moreno_iv said:
. . . However, this clip caught my attention when I saw Jerry Garcia talking about wanting to be a bluegrass dude.

It's actually kinda weird because in the band I'm currently a part of (Fat Jackson), the main song writer and lead guitarist can play the hell out of the lead, but he tends to lean towards a bluegrass sound when he writes. You can tell he is strongly influenced by Jerry Garcia and not just the Grateful Dead.

The bluegrass/mandolin influence is evident in many Dead songs. In fact, here is a recording of a song by the Dead called "I Know You Rider" from 1972.

I Know You Rider

You have to really listen to it, but it's there.

Yep, it is interesting how many Dead songs do have that bluegrass/folk feel to them, even plugged up and juiced with electricity and improvisation. Of course, some of the songs performed by the GD were traditional folk songs to begin with. Garcia, Weir, and company put their own signature on the melodies and introduced them into pseudo-mainstream music.

What I find when I listen to those clips by Fat Jackson is a mesh of all those influences that your group has actually listed. Of course, Stephen, you already know my take on "The River Marches On" clip. Did you ever find a copy of Little Feat's version of "Sample in a Jar?" Go to iTunes and listen to that 30 second clip. There is definitely an influence and similarity in terms of tempo, key, and bottom, more so than compared to the Phish version. Btw, have you ever heard the JamGrass Slammers' tribute to Phish and "Sample in a Jar?" There's also short clip of that at iTunes

Anyway, "I Know You Rider" has been a widely played and recorded song by many different artists of various genres. I was under the impression that it was originally a traditional folk tune that has been played for generations.

Here's some tidbits I have found about the song:

I KNOW YOU RIDER
(Traditional)

This song is found in different versions and with different titles ("Woman's Blues", "Circle Round The Sun"). Indeed, James Taylor, The Grateful Dead and Hot Tuna have all recorded it in quite different ways. James recorded it as a slow lament entitled "Circle Round The Sun" backed by a string section. The Grateful Dead interpreted it as a bluegrass number, and Hot Tuna's acoustic finger-style blues version was the basis of its arrangement. The all knowing attitude of the weary woman just resonates through the years, and the simple images are stunning, regardless of lyrical version.

Well I know you rider, gonna miss me when I'm gone
You gonna miss your mama from rolling in your arms

Well I know my baby he's bound to love me some
He throws his arms around me like a circle round the sun

Well I laid down and I tried to take my rest
I laid down and I tried to take my rest
but my mind it just kept wandering like some wild geese in the west

I’m going down the road where I get better care
I’m going down the road where I get better care
I believe I’ll go babe, I just don’t feel welcome here

Just as sure as the bird fly in the sky above
Life ain’t worth living if you ain’t with the man you love

The sun’s gonna shine in my back door some day
The sun’s gonna shine in my back door some day
The wind’s gonna rise and blow my blues away

To love you baby, it’s easy as falling off a log
To love you baby, it’s easy as falling off a log
Wanna be your baby but I sure won’t be your dog

I KNOW YOU RIDER
The Grateful Dead

I know you, rider, gonna miss me when i'm gone;
Gonna miss your baby, from rolling in your arms.

Laid down last night, lord, i could not take my rest;
Laid down last night, lord, i could not take my rest;
My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

The sun will shine in my back door someday.
The sun will shine in my back door someday.
March winds will blow all my troubles away.

I wish i was a headlight, on a north bound train;
I'd shine my light through cool colorado rain.

Gonna miss your baby, from rolling in your arms.

I KNOW YOU RIDER
Hot Tuna

I know you rider gonna miss me when I'm gone
Gonna miss your baby from rollin' in your arms

Sun's gonna shine on my back door some day
Sun's gonna shine on my back door some day
And the wind's gonna rise up and blow my blues away

I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train
I wish I was a headlight on a northbound train
I'd shine my headlight through the cool Colorado rain

Lovin' you baby's 'bout as easy as rollin' off a log
Lovin' you baby's 'bout as easy as rollin' off a log
I'll be your daddy but I just won't be your dog

I KNOW YOU RIDER
Janis Joplin - 1966

I know you rider, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss your lovin' baby runnin', I said runnin' in your arms

Don't the moon look lonesome, when it's shinin' down through the trees
Don't the moon look lonesome, when it's shinin' down through the trees
Don't my, don't my man looks fine, when he comes runnin', runnin' after me

I know you rider, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone, honey when I'm gone
Say now, I know you rider, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss your lovin' baby runnin', I said runnin' in your arms!

I know you rider. you're gonna miss me when I'm gone
Yeah, you're gonna miss your lovin' baby runnin', oh, I said runnin' in your
arms!

And I know my baby, says he's bound to love me so, love me so
Said I, I know my baby, and he's bound to love me so
You know he'll close his arms around me, like a circle, he thinks I'll
understand

I know you rider
Said you're gonna miss me when I'm gone

KNOW YOU RIDER

You gonna miss your mama from rolling in your arms

He throws his arms around me like a circle round the sun

Well I laid down and I tried to take my rest
I laid down and I tried to take my rest
but my mind it just kept wandering like some wild geese in the west

I'm going down the road where I get better care
I'm going down the road where I get better care
I believe I'll go babe, I just don't feel welcome here

Life ain't worth living if you ain't with the man you love

The sun's gonna shine in my back door some day
The sun's gonna shine in my back door some day
The wind's gonna rise and blow my blues away

To love you baby, it's easy as falling off a log
To love you baby, it's easy as falling off a log
Wanna be your baby but I sure won't be your dog

I KNOW YOU RIDER

Gonna miss you little momma from a-rolling in your arms

I'm going down thr road where I can get more decent care
I'm going down thr road where I can get more decent care
Going back to my used to be rider cause I don't feel welcome here

I know my baby sure is bound to love me some
I know my baby sure is bound to love me some
Cause he throws his arms around me like a circle around the sun

I laid down last night trying to take a rest
I laid down last night trying to take a rest
But my mind kept rambling like the wild geese in the West

I'm going down to the river set in my rockin' chair
I'm going down to the river set in my rockin' chair
And if the blues don't find me gonna rock away from here

Loving you baby just as easy as rolling off a log
Loving you baby just as easy as rolling off a log
But if I can't be your woman sure ain't gonna be your dog

I will cut your wood baby I will make your fire
I will cut your wood baby I will make your fire
And I will tote your water baby from that Fresno Bar

Sun gonna shine in my back yard some day
Sun gonna shine in my back yard some day
And the wind gonna rise up baby blow my blues away

I have included a small sample of my favorite "I Know You Rider" performances, not counting the numerous variations that the Dead have put on the song.

I will begin with an acoustic Hot Tuna version with the help of David Bromberg in 1986:

Hot Tuna / David Bromberg

Here is probably my favorite bluegrass version of the song performed by the Seldom Scene. The mandolin solo at the 2:53 mark floors me every time I watch it. I have posted this one a while back but it is worth another gander. I still find it amusing to hear the mandolin player utter, "Oh sh**, that's hard," around the 3:45 spot. The banjo picker ain't too shabby either. He breaks down around the 5 minute mark.

The Seldom Scene

The best recorded bluegrass version I have found is also by The Seldom Scene on Rebel Records 35 Years of the Best in Bluegrass: 1960-1995.

Now here is Max Creek doing their version of "I know You Rider" back in '87. Shades of the Dead wouldn't you say?

Max Creek

Here's a more folksy take on the song by Joan Baez back in 1960:

Joan Baez

Wow! You sure have spurred my interest in the history of this song. I reckon' I will try to do some serious research on it.

We'll let The Hillbilly Gypsies get us out of here with their overdrive version:

The Hillbilly Gypsies

Dang Factor. It's gonna take me a few days to get through all that!!

I just listened to the recordings of "Sample in a Jar" on iTunes and the chord progression in JamGrass's version is very similar if not exactly the same as "The River Marches On". There are only so many chords out there!

I did not know that "I Know You Rider" had been performed by so many different groups. I have to say that I am partial to the Grateful Dead version however. This is my favorite line from their version:

I'd shine my light through cool Colorado rain.

I'll have to spend some time listening to all those clips!

Being the hopeless romantic he is, Factor has decided to take a stroll down "Sentimental Lane" with this next selection, venturing back some 36 years to when he would plug this particular eight-track into the deck every time a certain sweet angel would request it.

And the song, "Mandolin Wind" just happened to be that angel's favorite cut off what I have always considered a very solid album, Every Picture Tells a Story. In fact, the very first time I heard the mandolin solo on this track, it immediately haunted me with its forlorn tremolo, the sound truly capturing the essence of the song's lyrics. I also liked the use of the resonator in this piece.

Now for some tidbits about the album and song:

Every Picture Tells A Story was the third album by Rod Stewart, released in the middle of 1971. It became Stewart's most critically acclaimed album, and became the standard by which all of his subsequent albums were judged.

The album consisted of a mixture of rock, blues, soul and folk, and included his breakthrough hit, "Maggie May", co-written by classical guitarist Martin Quittenton, as well as "(Find A) Reason To Believe", the song from Tim Hardin debut album of 1966. "Reason To Believe" had initially been the A-side of the single and "Maggie May", the B-side, until general reaction resulted in their reversal.

The album also included a version of Arthur Crudup's "That's All Right (Mama)" (the first single for Elvis Presley) and a cover of the Bob Dylan song, "Tomorrow Is A Long Time", an outtake to Dylan's 1963 album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (it would see release on 1971's, Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II).

All five members of The Faces (with whom Stewart at that time was lead vocalist), appeared on the album, with guitarist/bassist Ron Wood and keyboardist Ian McLagan being most prominent. Due to contractual restrictions, the personnel listings were somewhat vague, and it was unclear that the full Faces line-up recorded the version of the Motown hit "(I Know) I'm Losing You". Other contributors included Ray Jackson on mandolin (though Stewart forgot his name and merely mentioned "the mandolin player in Lindisfarne" on the sleeve). Maggie Bell made backing vocals (mentioned on the sleeve as "vocal abrasives") on the title track, as well as Madeline Bell on next one, "Seems Like A Long Time".

It reached the No. 1 position in both the UK (for six weeks) and the USA (four weeks) at the same time that "Maggie May" was topping the singles charts in both territories, making Stewart the first artist to achieve such a feat. It has often been voted among the best British albums of all time.

In 1992, the album was awarded the number one spot in Jimmy Guterman's book The Best Rock 'N' Roll Records of All Time: A Fan's Guide to the Stuff You Love.

In 2003, the album was ranked number 172 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Every Picture Tells A Story was ranked 99th in a 2005 survey held by British television's Channel 4 to determine the 100 greatest albums of all time.

Too bad Rod Stewart could not have been suspended in time at this point of his career before he "sold out" out to pop and disco with the release of "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Btw, this clip is dedicated to that little majorette from Murray State, who always wanted to hear this song.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBxh4-rjvNI&feature=related[/youtube]
"Mandolin Wind" Unplugged version

Folks, I'm simply gonna let this next group's playing do the talking for me.

It's my pleasure to introduce to this thread The Infamous Stringdusters doing "No More To Leave You Behind."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjINEc28uaY&feature=related[/youtube]

And how many of you bluegrass fans like to kick up your heels like this dude in the next video? Back in my days in T-Town we used to do a little possum stomping and buck dancing down at Lee's Tomb. George Dickel and Wild Turkey are real good about getting one's feet moving like that.

Again, the Infamous Stringdusters doing their thang and the mando picker adding a little more to his solo here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pdTc2KjeR4&feature=related[/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom