| NEWS Make sure you're angry about Alabama for the right reasons - Deadspin

B

Bama News

Alabama is the perfect villain for so many reasons, and I’m not even referring to the Brandon Miller situation. Fans of college athletics would’ve inevitably found a reason to hate this Crimson Tide squad, and if they couldn’t find one, they’d have created one. People are so sick of seeing the football team win that they’re triggered by the mere success of other sports under the same umbrella.

Ohio State gives off a similar vibe. These schools are institutions that have been so prosperous the general public is conditioned to be skeptical of their practices. We view them like Big Pharma or Big Tech or any other industry that is perceived negatively if you put Big in front of it.

And ’Bama is the Amazon of Big Academia. We want to believe that the university’s success is directly tied to all that’s wrong with college athletics. “They bought every title from Nick Saban to Bear Bryant, so why is the 2022-23 basketball team an outlier?” “The only reason Miller is on the team is that he’s on the payroll.” (Never mind Miller’s dad played football for Gene Stallings and met his mother when in Tuscaloosa.)

The Tide are tearing through the tourney. They’re the only 1 seed that hasn’t been tested. Miller didn’t score in the first round yet the team put up 96 points and won by 21. The outside perception is that Alabama is wielding the Force with the power of the Darkside, and its influence has expanded to hoops.

There’s only one school that SEC fanatics occasionally won’t root for during out-of-conference play, and it’s Alabama. The rest of the time, the rest of the country is venomous with their disdain for all things houndstooth. There’s a mob mentality involved that I’m not nuanced enough to communicate accurately without setting off someone’s cancel alarm, so we’re going to skip that section.

What I’m trying to get at is it’s just a college, man. It’s OK to hate Tuscaloosa, but there’s no need to be the guy who goes too far in his rage and is out there poisoning trees. Don’t let it consume you.

’Bama is a great villain, one of the best in the history of sports; right up there with the Russians. However, I’ve found that you can cripple yourself with anger simply by thinking about how unfair life is. You don’t have to let it go, you just have to know how much to let it affect you.

I get through each day with largely the same approach. I’m secure enough to know who sucks, educate myself enough not to waver, and numb enough to the discourse not to be bothered. The key is finding the perfect mix of alcohol and THC to effectively turn off your brain for a few hours a night.

I can separate my feelings about Alabama from my uncertainty surrounding what happened with Miller. It sounds and looks terrible, but I was never going to celebrate the Tide winning this tournament, no matter what happened off the court.

You should never feel good about the death of a young woman, but using it as fuel for your dislike of a school is doing exactly that. If you want to hate the situation because of what it says about the value of human life in America, or the impact of guns on public safety, or another worthwhile concern, that’s fine.

A life is bigger than the trivialities of fandom, and it’s important to remember that.

I 100% get what is being said here and agree, but the dumbass Alabama fan wearing that shirt at the SEC Tournament doesn't make these things any easier. And no, I don't consider that as a situation of playing the villian role.
....and you are certain this was an Alabama fan?

I think the article was off putting and ridiculous. To equate Alabama (and tOSU) to big Pharma? No, no. Your Big Pharma in the media IS the Big 10. Let;s get real here and your Amazon of college basketball resides in Durham and Chapel Hill. And what would you call Notre Dame and Michigan specifically, DeadSpin?

I couldn't care less about being the villain in sports due to a winning record. To conflate that with political hot topics and then a murder, this guy needs to take a higher dose of his THC and write a better article.

When did they give SnakeDoc a position at Dead Spin anyway?

....and you are certain this was an Alabama fan?

I think the article was off putting and ridiculous. To equate Alabama (and tOSU) to big Pharma? No, no. Your Big Pharma in the media IS the Big 10. Let;s get real here and your Amazon of college basketball resides in Durham and Chapel Hill. And what would you call Notre Dame and Michigan specifically, DeadSpin?

I couldn't care less about being the villain in sports due to a winning record. To conflate that with political hot topics and then a murder, this guy needs to take a higher dose of his THC and write a better article.

When did they give SnakeDoc a position at Dead Spin anyway?

I mean, everything said and the video of him makes it seem as if he is. Who is spending money making that t-shirt to say something like that? And no, I don't see that as something an Auburn or Tennessee fan would do in a moment like that at a neutral site venue. Only makes sense some asswipe tries to be cute and get a few chuckles from other idiots on something like that.

Also, I see the comparison he is making with us and Big Pharma. I don't think he is stating we are killing people for profits and all that crap, I simply think he's stating we are so big and aren't stopping for anyone that people hate us because we are rich and powerful, which is indicative of society and how they view wealth these days.

I never took any of this as just one sport, but more or less the state of our athletic department and programs in general. We raise loads of cash, make massive profits, and excel at just about everything our fans are passionate about. If that doesn't sound like Big Tech or Big Pharma from a high level view I don't know what does from a simple comparison standpoint. To add to that we really don't care what people think and we keep throwing money at it, raising prices, and working towards that bottom line. Alabama is not above raising prices and pricing its own people out either.

This writer is CLUELESS. So....he thinks that Bama is the villain because of the football dynasty that began in 2009? He clearly doesn't realize that we have ALWAYS been the villain! We were hated, loathed, despised, abhorred, etc. even when we were really bad. We were viewed with just as much disdain in 2003 when we went 4-9 in Shula's first season as we were in every one of the national championship years under Saban. We were universally hated all throughout our probation years. We were hated just as much under Perkins, Curry, Stallings, Dubose, Franchione, Price (for the 2 minutes that he was around) and Shula as we are under Saban and were under Bryant. This writer acts like we came out of nowhere 14-15 years ago. Hate ain't nothing new for us. And if he thinks that that hate has never spilled over into basketball....uhh....he may want to do a little more research. Like say, Wimp Sanderson...1992...secretary. Or how about 1989....when South Alabama upset us in round one of the NCAA tournament. You would have thought that we were in the middle of a John Wooden- UCLA type of run and South Alabama saved the country from an 11th straight national championship for the Tide with all the celebrating going on that day

I think there is a pretty universal hatred/dislike for the traditional blue bloods of college football. I personally hate nd. I have strong dislikes for Ohio St., USCw, Nebraska from years long ago, Texas, etc... Its not just Alabama.

Same with basketball. Folks hate Duke, North Carolina, and Kentucky, unless you're a fan. Although I don't hear as much hate for Kansas. Like they are Made Goodfellas or something.

I 100% get what is being said here and agree, but the dumbass Alabama fan wearing that shirt at the SEC Tournament doesn't make these things any easier. And no, I don't consider that as a situation of playing the villian role.
Sorry, I missed “the fan wearing that shirt”. What did the shirt say? Which game? Thanks

I find it funny, went to that SEC Tourney Final game against TAMU with my dad and sat around a few Kentucky fans and they were just scoffing and recoiling in anger and frustration with anything Alabama related in BASKETBALL. I mean, when Kentucky fans start to hate you because of Basketball, you must be doing something right.

Jealousy rears its ugly head in many ways and being the envy of everyone else makes people, irrationally, feel a certain way towards you and your program. Just because it's there, doesn't mean it should matter to us.

There’s only one school that SEC fanatics occasionally won’t root for during out-of-conference play, and it’s Alabama. The rest of the time, the rest of the country is venomous with their disdain for all things houndstooth. There’s a mob mentality involved that I’m not nuanced enough to communicate accurately without setting off someone’s cancel alarm, so we’re going to skip that section.
It's why I hate the SEC. I've always said I will pull for the SEC when they pull for Bama, like when Hell freezes over.

Back
Top Bottom