| BSB/SB ⚾ Bama claims series over Vandy with 2-1 win on Sunday.

Very interesting point after a lot of base running issues I've read about on here. College baseball shouldn't be having a lot of base running issues.

Most of those were on the players. Now, his decision to have a player be first base coach at times? That is something that I hated, and did cost us a couple of outs IMO because of the inexperience (but other schools do that sometimes too, so it isn't unheard of or anything). But, there's always going to be some head scratching stuff with any team... looking back, the one thing that kind of stood out to me were the lineups in a lot of the games (something I've bitched about some)... if you've noticed, this weekend the lineups were consistent for really the first time all season. But there could also be many valid reasons for that too. There have certainly been some pitching changes that left me bewildered (including one particular guy who they've put in numerous high leverage situations for some reason)... but that all has to be dismissed unless you believe Jason Jackson was in on it (which certainly doesn't appear to be the case), since he had full autonomy of all in game pitching decisions. IMO, about the only feasible way Bohannon could have done anything to alter games without being obvious would be to manipulate the scouting reports, then he could adjust if needed during a game/series... even then though, for that to work, he'd have needed full control and a very heavy hand on the scouting with very minimal input from other staff, which would be odd.

Most of those were on the players. Now, his decision to have a player be first base coach at times? That is something that I hated, and did cost us a couple of outs IMO because of the inexperience (but other schools do that sometimes too, so it isn't unheard of or anything). But, there's always going to be some head scratching stuff with any team... looking back, the one thing that kind of stood out to me were the lineups in a lot of the games (something I've bitched about some)... if you've noticed, this weekend the lineups were consistent for really the first time all season. But there could also be many valid reasons for that too. There have certainly been some pitching changes that left me bewildered (including one particular guy who they've put in numerous high leverage situations for some reason)... but that all has to be dismissed unless you believe Jason Jackson was in on it (which certainly doesn't appear to be the case), since he had full autonomy of all in game pitching decisions. IMO, about the only feasible way Bohannon could have done anything to alter games without being obvious would be to manipulate the scouting reports, then he could adjust if needed during a game/series... even then though, for that to work, he'd have needed full control and a very heavy hand on the scouting with very minimal input from other staff, which would be odd.

I cannot believe a player was fhe first base coach. Don't believe I have ever heard of anything like that before, especially at a D1 level.

I cannot believe a player was fhe first base coach. Don't believe I have ever heard of anything like that before, especially at a D1 level.

I’ve seen it pop up some other places but it’s a practice I find really strange. If you’re doing it because you think it’s more important to have an extra coach in the dugout, then you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul. As far as I know, Bohannon was never asked about it, but not sure on that. I pretty much stopped watching all the post game press conferences because the questions asked were horrible and it was a complete waste of time.

I’ve seen it pop up some other places but it’s a practice I find really strange. If you’re doing it because you think it’s more important to have an extra coach in the dugout, then you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul. As far as I know, Bohannon was never asked about it, but not sure on that. I pretty much stopped watching all the post game press conferences because the questions asked were horrible and it was a complete waste of time.

In my years, a base coach is more important than a dugout coach. Seen many many many ganes lost on the bases, not so many from a missed call from an assistant coach in the dugout. Yeah, not much sense being made for me on that one.

In my years, a base coach is more important than a dugout coach. Seen many many many ganes lost on the bases, not so many from a missed call from an assistant coach in the dugout. Yeah, not much sense being made for me on that one.
When I was a HC in the mid to late 90’s, I had no help and I refused to put a player in the box at 1st. I handled EVERYTHING!!! From giving signs, checking defense, pick offs, screaming “Back!”, reminding everyone every pitch, what they needed to do on a ground ball, a fly ball, or a line drive! I would tell runners at second who they were to watch and who I had. Throw in coaching up the guy in the batters box, I would lose my voice pretty much every game. Defensively, I was calling pitches, moving defense, calling bunt defense, reminding where the ball needed to go, every pitch!!! DHs were killers!!!

When I was a HC in the mid to late 90’s, I had no help and I refused to put a player in the box at 1st. I handled EVERYTHING!!! From giving signs, checking defense, pick offs, screaming “Back!”, reminding everyone every pitch, what they needed to do on a ground ball, a fly ball, or a line drive! I would tell runners at second who they were to watch and who I had. Throw in coaching up the guy in the batters box, I would lose my voice pretty much every game. Defensively, I was calling pitches, moving defense, calling bunt defense, reminding where the ball needed to go, every pitch!!! DHs were killers!!!

I had a year like that two years ago in football and it was a whirlwind and after every game I couldn't recall even coaching the game.

I had a year like that two years ago in football and it was a whirlwind and after every game I couldn't recall even coaching the game.
I did it for 5 years and I felt like I was losing my mind!!!
I had been warned by the previous HC that baseball would be the hardest sport I would ever coach. I laughed and explained to him that I wasn’t a stranger to baseball and that I had turned down some JUCO offers to play baseball, so I knew the game. He warned me that it wasn’t the game, it was the crazy ass parents!!! Man, he wasn’t kidding!! Parents were AWFUL!!

I did it for 5 years and I felt like I was losing my mind!!!
I had been warned by the previous HC that baseball would be the hardest sport I would ever coach. I laughed and explained to him that I wasn’t a stranger to baseball and that I had turned down some JUCO offers to play baseball, so I knew the game. He warned me that it wasn’t the game, it was the crazy ass parents!!! Man, he wasn’t kidding!! Parents were AWFUL!!

Ha ha, I believe it.

Ha ha, I believe it.
His explanation rang so true too! He said, “at some time, every dad played the game maybe up until HS, they likely coached their son’s little league team and little Johnny was probably an all star every year too! He isn’t going to understand why his son isn’t hitting lead off or clean up, or why he isn’t at shortstop or pitching, or even playing. It doesn’t matter how much baseball you know as a coach!”
4 games into my first year and I had a pissed off dad come demanding answers as to why he son hadn’t played in the game that had just concluded. He wouldn’t take “setting up a conference at the school” to discuss this after a good nights sleep. I told him that “someone was going to get their feelings hurt and it wasn’t going to be me!” I pulled out the score book and showed him his son’s stats from the previous 3 games, 0 for 10 or 11 with all K’s and multiple errors in the field. He shut up and just walked away!!

Back
Top Bottom