| BSB/SB ⚾ Rivalry Series Clinched as Baseball Downs Auburn, 6-1, on Sunday

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball will welcome in-state rival Auburn to Sewell-Thomas Stadium this weekend for a three-game series. The first two matchups are scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT first pitch with Sunday's finale slated for 1 p.m. All three games will air live on SEC Network+.

The weekend with Auburn will feature numerous promotions across all three games of the series. Friday will be 'Food Truck Friday' with a food truck located in right field that features a unique food option available to all fans. This weekend's vendor will be World of Beer.

Game two of the series will be the Tide's celebration of the 1983 College World Series team. Numerous members of the 1983 squad along with head coach Barry Shollenberger will be in attendance and take part in pregame ceremonies. As part of Saturday's celebration, UA will be handing out '83 team tumblers for the third of five 'SEC Cup Series' giveaways. The first 350 fans can pick up their cup upon arrival at The Joe.

The weekend finale on Sunday will continue 'Kids' Day at The Joe'. All kids 18-and-under can purchase a $5 general admission ticket. Children will also have the chance to run the bases postgame. Sunday will also be the Tide's third baseball card giveaway of the 2023 season. The trading cards are part of a season-long promotion highlighting the 2023 roster. Kids can get their third pack of cards and stay after the game to get autographs from the group of players featured in Sunday's group.

Follow the Tide​

Fans can follow the series via the below outlets:
Watch: SEC Network+
Listen: 100.9 FM / CTSN / The Varsity App
Twitter: @AlabamaBSB
Live Stats: RollTide.com

Probable Starting Pitching Matchups​

FRIDAY: UALuke Holman (So., RHP) vs. AU – Tommy Vail (Gr., LHP)
SATURDAY: UAGrayson Hitt (Jr., LHP) vs. AU – Drew Nelson (Fr., LHP)
SUNDAY: UA – TBA vs. AU – TBA

Perfect example of why this team struggles so much there in the 6th... they get the leadoff guy on via walk (Pickney, so good speed). Next hitter is 9 hole, and a L on L matchup. Move the runner over with a bunt with one of your best hitters on deck? Nope, not this team... pop foul out to catcher for out 1. Next batter flies to the warning track, 2 down. Then 2 hole hitter pops out to shallow left center and inning over...

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama's offense rallied late, but the comeback fell short in an 8-4 loss to Auburn on Friday night at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 24-11 on the season and 4-9 in Southeastern Conference play.

Auburn used a home run in the second to take an early 2-0 lead and added two more with a two-out, two-run single in the top of the seventh. The Tigers then plated one in the eighth and added three in the ninth for an 8-0 advantage. Alabama was able to load the bases with two down in the seventh and reached a pair with two outs in the eighth but was held off the scoreboard until the ninth. The Crimson Tide rallied for four in the final frame and had the tying run at the plate but a flyout to left ended the ballgame at 8-4.

The win went to Auburn starter Tommy Vail (3-1), who tossed 6.2 scoreless innings. Luke Holman (5-2) was tagged with the loss despite another solid start. The sophomore allowed four runs on four hits and three walks with six strikeouts across 6.2 innings and a career-high 89 pitches.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"Luke Holman gave us a good start, and I really liked the fight we showed late in the game. But we just didn't show enough fight before the ninth and didn't do enough offensively tonight. They tried to help us, gave us eight free baserunners, but we just didn't hit enough balls hard and didn't have enough of the good at-bats that we needed."

I was planning on going to tonight’s game but I think I’m just gonna watch from the back patio, fire up the grill, and hope for the best. My attendance lately has been anything but helpful anyway.

Also, Grayson Hitt is likely done for the year, so add another (big) hole to the hull of the boat.

I was planning on going to tonight’s game but I think I’m just gonna watch from the back patio, fire up the grill, and hope for the best. My attendance lately has been anything but helpful anyway.

Also, Grayson Hitt is likely done for the year, so add another (big) hole to the hull of the boat.
If Hitt is done for the year, then throwing McNairy in meaningless midweek games is another head scratcher by this staff!!!!

If Hitt is done for the year, then throwing McNairy in meaningless midweek games is another head scratcher by this staff!!!!

I don't think they knew Tuesday night. Would imagine McNairy will be an option tomorrow though unless they went with a bullpen day... but I have a feeling they are going to needs those front line guys tonight. Would guess they'll move Jackson Reynolds or someone similar into the midweek role going forward. If this series goes south, it wouldn't hurt my feeling to see them start to transition Riley Quick or Alton Davis as a starter in midweek so they can start getting those innings/experience for down the road.

As far as the Hess injury... IMO, the overall amount arm injuries were already a big concern even before this. At this point, I feel confident saying it is more than just "bad luck". And that is based on more than just the sheer number of guys who have been shelved, which by itself, is pretty distressing.

Back
Top Bottom