| BSB/SB ⚾ Rivalry Series Clinched as Baseball Downs Auburn, 6-1, on Sunday

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball will welcome in-state rival Auburn to Sewell-Thomas Stadium this weekend for a three-game series. The first two matchups are scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT first pitch with Sunday's finale slated for 1 p.m. All three games will air live on SEC Network+.

The weekend with Auburn will feature numerous promotions across all three games of the series. Friday will be 'Food Truck Friday' with a food truck located in right field that features a unique food option available to all fans. This weekend's vendor will be World of Beer.

Game two of the series will be the Tide's celebration of the 1983 College World Series team. Numerous members of the 1983 squad along with head coach Barry Shollenberger will be in attendance and take part in pregame ceremonies. As part of Saturday's celebration, UA will be handing out '83 team tumblers for the third of five 'SEC Cup Series' giveaways. The first 350 fans can pick up their cup upon arrival at The Joe.

The weekend finale on Sunday will continue 'Kids' Day at The Joe'. All kids 18-and-under can purchase a $5 general admission ticket. Children will also have the chance to run the bases postgame. Sunday will also be the Tide's third baseball card giveaway of the 2023 season. The trading cards are part of a season-long promotion highlighting the 2023 roster. Kids can get their third pack of cards and stay after the game to get autographs from the group of players featured in Sunday's group.

Follow the Tide​

Fans can follow the series via the below outlets:
Watch: SEC Network+
Listen: 100.9 FM / CTSN / The Varsity App
Twitter: @AlabamaBSB
Live Stats: RollTide.com

Probable Starting Pitching Matchups​

FRIDAY: UALuke Holman (So., RHP) vs. AU – Tommy Vail (Gr., LHP)
SATURDAY: UAGrayson Hitt (Jr., LHP) vs. AU – Drew Nelson (Fr., LHP)
SUNDAY: UA – TBA vs. AU – TBA

Terrible situational hitting. And for whatever reason, it seems like Seidl hits .100 at the top of the order and .400 at the bottom of it.
Mind game for him. Some guys mindset is just screwey depending on where they see themselves in the lineup. Even though you may only hit 3rd in the lineup over the course of 9 innings. Same for lead off, 2 hole, or even at the bottom. Seidl must be one of those guys!!!

I think that's an issue with several of these guys unfortunately.
I recall way back in the day, my coach had me way down in the order and then DH’d for me early in the season. My stance was a mess and I was in my head so bad!! I began showing signs of life and coach immediately put me in the 2 hole and I tore it up the rest of the season. Led the team in HRs, RBIs and finished second average wise. The next season, a new coach tried to drop me into the 3 and 4 hole. Didn’t work! I put too much pressure on myself. I asked to move back to the 2 hole and my approach was different. I also saw a lot more fastballs as well.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball evened the series up with Auburn thanks to a 4-2 win over the Tigers on Saturday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 25-11 on the season and 5-9 in Southeastern Conference play.

Alabama jumped out front early with a three-run second. The Tide then added one more in the fourth before the Tigers cut into the lead with one run apiece in the seventh and ninth. Auburn was able to reach the tying run in the top of the ninth, but a 4-6-3 double play ended things in favor of the Crimson Tide to even the series up at one game apiece.

Garrett McMillan (1-1) was masterful in his extended outing. Despite being on a pitch count, McMillan tossed 5.0-plus scoreless frames, allowing just one hit while striking out four for the win. The Tide then went to the bullpen with Alton Davis II highlighting the relief effort. The freshman worked a scoreless ninth, allowing one hit and a walk with one strikeout for his second save of the year.

While only recording five hits on the night, Alabama's offense was aided by 11 free passes made up of eight walks and three hit-by-pitch. The bats were led by Mac Guscette and Dominic Tamez. Guscette finished 2-for-3 with a two-run double and one walk, while Tamez was 2-for-4 with a double of his own to go with one run scored.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"I'm really proud of our team. This was a big win for us on so many levels. We got to the point where we needed guys to step up, and that's exactly what Garrett McMillan and Alton Davis II did tonight."

How It Happened​

• B2 | Three straight walks started the inning before a fourth walk, this one to Andrew Pinckney, brought across the game's first run. Mac Guscette followed with a two-run double off the top of the wall in left-center. (3-0, Alabama)
  • B4 | With one down, back-to-back hit-by-pitch and a walk loaded them up for Ed Johnson, who drew a walk of his own to push across another tally. (4-0, Alabama)
  • T7 | Bobby Peirce got the Tigers on the board with a solo home run. (4-1, Alabama)
  • T9 | A high chopper got over the head of the third baseman allowed one run to cross for the Tigers. (4-2, Alabama)

It's good to see back to back sell outs. It's sobering typing that ... first time the Tide has seen that since 2018. SMH.

Tonight's game was a second consecutive sellout. It marks the Tide's first back-to-back sellouts (non-COVID) since May 5-6, 2018.

It's good to see back to back sell outs. It's sobering typing that ... first time the Tide has seen that since 2018. SMH.
That is a huge testimony to the current state of the program. Like Bama Basketball was for a couple of decades. No reason that should be the case but it apparently is. Only Byrne can fix this.

Alabama takes the series with a 6-1 win. Jacob McNairy did his job as the fill in starter, couldn't have asked for more from him. Quick threw really well in relief... easy to see his potential as a starter down the road. For the first time all season, Jackson and Bohannon brought back a reliever on back to back days when Alton Davis (who got the save last night) relieved Quick in the 8th. With good coaching, Riley and Davis are going to be one hell of a 1-2 punch as weekend starters in due time. Both have filthy stuff, just need to refine it and improve location. Davis needs to add some weight (strength) too to his tall, slender frame, but that'll come. A ton of potential with those 2 freshmen though. Anyway, Davis worked the final 1 2/3 today and added his 2nd save in as many days. Alabama as a team has issues, a number of them unfortunately, but this was a series win they had to have. For all their faults, they are still a veteran led team that bounced back from a disappointing Friday night and won the next 2... keeps them in good position for a spot in Hoover.

Next up, @ UAB Tuesday night... then another winnable series @ Mizzou over the weekend. Need to get 2 out of 3 from those Tigers as well.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball earned the series win over Auburn with a 6-1 win on Sunday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 26-11 overall and 6-9 in Southeastern Conference play.

Auburn was first to strike with one run in the fourth but would not add any more. Alabama proceeded to score six unanswered runs over the final 4.0 frames with a three-run fifth, one tally in the seventh and two in the eighth for the 6-1 series-clinching win.

Jacob McNairy gave the Tide a solid start on short rest, allowing one run on four hits and two walks with five strikeouts in his 3.2 innings of work. He turned the ball over to a pair of freshmen in Riley Quick and Alton Davis II, who proceeded to blank the Tigers the rest of the way. Quick (1-1) earned the win thanks to 3.2 innings that included two hits, two walks and a pair of strikeouts. Davis II followed, tossing the final 1.2 frames with two strikeouts for his third save of the season and second in as many days.

Alabama's offense was led by Jim Jarvis, Mac Guscette and Andrew Pinckney, who all contributed two-hit games. Jarvis finished 2-for-4 with a triple, one RBI and two runs scored, one of which came on a steal of home. Guscette went 2-for-4 with a run, while Pinckney posted a 2-for-3 performance that included a walk and two runs scored.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"I'm really proud of our team. This was a big weekend coming into it, and we didn't play very well Friday night, but our guys did what they've done all year – they just kept playing, kept coming and the kids deserve all the credit for this series win."

Back
Top Bottom